FDU Coach on Norm at Halftime

• 7 replies
FDU Coach on Norm at Halftime
« on: November 27, 2007, 12:49:53 PM »
"I'm not sure what Norm said at halftime, but he could probably bottle it, write it down and sell it to about 330 other Division I coaches and I would buy a copy of whatever he said" (Tom Green as reported by Della 9250 on Redmen.com). Norm made it clear that FDU's spread out offense coupled with our over pursuit was giving their best shooters open looks. Coach put our fastest feet out there and made them accountable for uncontested treys. It worked. He also got on our guys for rebounding and it improved. In addition we struck a much better balance between outside shooting and getting the ball inside. Now if only we can make some of these changes before halftime we'll be much better prepared for the intensity of Big East competition where falling behind in the first half can prove to be fatal. Nonetheless, a very nice job by a coach who (according to some) is woefully inadequate at making adjustments. Just ask the FDU coach about that.

Re: FDU Coach on Norm at Halftime
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2007, 01:14:50 PM »
http://redstormsports.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/recaps/112507aah.html

Fairleigh Dickinson Head Coach Tom Green
Opening Statement:
"If this was a 20 minute game, I'd be a lot happier. Obviously the game is 40 minutes and we didn't play 40 minutes worth of basketball. I'm not sure what Norm said at halftime, but he could probably bottle it, write it down and sell it to about 330 other Division I coaches and I certainly would buy a copy of whatever he said."

On preparing for tonight's game:
"We thought our zone defense would be effective. It was effective for the first 20 minutes of the game and then they started picking us apart. In the second half it came down to good shot selection for St. John's which brought us out of our zone and forced us to play man to man and from then on their talent out-played us."

Molloy '71

Tha Kid

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2007, 01:32:10 PM »
that's quite a compliment...great job Norm!
"I drink and I know things"

Poison

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2007, 01:33:39 PM »
"I'm not sure what Norm said at halftime, but he could probably bottle it, write it down and sell it to about 330 other Division I coaches and I would buy a copy of whatever he said" (Tom Green as reported by Della 9250 on Redmen.com). Norm made it clear that FDU's spread out offense coupled with our over pursuit was giving their best shooters open looks. Coach put our fastest feet out there and made them accountable for uncontested treys. It worked. He also got on our guys for rebounding and it improved. In addition we struck a much better balance between outside shooting and getting the ball inside. Now if only we can make some of these changes before halftime we'll be much better prepared for the intensity of Big East competition where falling behind in the first half can prove to be fatal. Nonetheless, a very nice job by a coach who (according to some) is woefully inadequate at making adjustments. Just ask the FDU coach about that.

It was an adjustment. I'm waiting for the Miami game, and the Haw Classic to see how Norm handles adjustments.
We should have killed FDU, and we did.

Randomhero423

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2007, 05:19:42 PM »
last yr i wasn't impressed with norm's coaching.  hopefully this year proves me wrong.

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2007, 07:42:49 PM »
Still waiting for a 2 for 1 at the end of a half  ;D

kjd01067

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2007, 08:06:24 PM »
I think just as the players have gotten better and more talented this year so has Norm.  I hope both the players and the coaching keeps improving as this season continues!

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2007, 09:04:48 PM »
We'll need it.  The schedule (obviously) gets much, much tougher.