Florida Marlins of the Big East

• 6 replies
Florida Marlins of the Big East
« on: December 28, 2007, 04:02:29 PM »
I know I will get critcisim for this post but I think St. John's is the equivallant of a small-market baseball team.  We cannot get the big recruits like the top 50 like we expected Norm to land us when he arrived on the corner of Utopia Parkway and Union Turnpike but what I think Norm should do is to find "Hidden Gems" out there and recruit them because they stay longer than a successful top 10 recruit plus by starting off from this base, we can rebuild ourselves to become the New York Yankees of the Big East (remember there are no firesales in college basketball because college basketball players only get meal money except during the year when Abe Keita, whose only asset to the team was holding a towel, could not be a big boy and accept that he was expelled from the team and squealed to the papers over petty money and nullified a great comeback tournament run in 2002 and a great end of the season recovery in 2003 when St. John's beat Duke).  St. John's has to be like St. Joe's and find those hidden gems when they found Jammer Nelson and Delmonte West.  As of right now, we should look at ourselves as if we were the Florida Marlins and scout out players that are not prime-time stars and St. John's should build themselves up from there.  Right now, we do have some hidden gems especially with DJ Kennedy and Larry Wright and I see only but good things to come but the 1980s are over and we are not the pinacle anymore and it is time to rebuild ourselves. Remember, Jarvis's only good recruit, A JUCO sad to say, was a hidden gem and Marcus Hatten rebuilt a program that went 14-15 the year before and St. John's went to the tournament that year especially that St. John's lost their best player in Omar Cook (that year I was expecting nothing but disapointment but instead I was filled with joy that year).  Overall, we should scout hidden gems more than the big ones because as of right now, St. John's will lose if we attack the big ones but if St. John's stays small, the university will shock the world like the Marlins did in 2003 when they won another championship after the world's biggest firesale in 1998 and we can then become the New York Yankees of the Big East when St. John's lands the top recruits.  Once again I am sorry for this post and I know that I will be burned at the stake but I just wanted to throw this opinion out there.

Randomhero423

Re: Florida Marlins of the Big East
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2007, 04:16:59 PM »
if we were the marlins of the big east i'd be exicited.  We would be a very successful program.  We're more like the Tampa Bay Devil Rays....

BTW It's Delonte not Delmonte. 

I think we have the potential to be a top 25 team year after year..  But with Norm at the helm, I don't think so. 

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2007, 10:08:12 PM »
sorry for the typo

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2007, 12:04:12 AM »
man ill take that. the marlin won the world series in 2003.

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2007, 02:58:59 AM »
I gotta be honest, Norm is tough to root for. The guy MAY BE the nicest guy in the world, but after 4 years, it's just not happening. I swear, I hope I eat those words, but it's just not happening.

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2007, 03:49:43 PM »
It's gunna take more than a coach, the administration has to look to over hall the facilities because their are better arenas than Carnasseca in Central America and MSG doesnt pull kids in when Calhoun and Boeheim play and win more games at MSG than we do. We are a small market and Norm should have never have had a shot with a kid like Kevin Jones or Syl becasue they went to real universities and then came to our pathetic school. I could recruit kids to Kansas and Illinois, programs like that sell themselves!

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2007, 04:58:39 PM »
you need chris Mullin or mark jackson to come here and coach. hell, ill take those chances over norm anyday.