Time for a change

• 79 replies

pmg911

Re: Time for a change
« Reply #60 on: December 31, 2007, 11:30:29 AM »
u 1000% percent right pmg. the only difference is i dont think norm will get fired. i just dont see it he would have gotten fired already. i think admnistration really likes him.

The adminstration likes the way he runs the program and he has been doing exactly what he has been told to do by the adminstration...

While I think he deserves, VERY MUCH, to be let go at the end of the year..  I agree with you that I think he will be the coach next year...   the man is in ovber his head as a Division I Head Coach... 

As a former St. John's player said to me once about Norm...    "some guys are meant to be assistants.."

« Reply #61 on: December 31, 2007, 12:55:05 PM »
the only optimistic observation i see is that if this class stays together another 2 years, we will finish in the middle of the be pact. the question is, can redmen nation wait that long.

« Reply #62 on: December 31, 2007, 03:34:24 PM »
The reason Norm will be back next year (Hate to say it) is that he is a SAFE CHOICE!! You'll never have a recruiting scandal with him, payoffs, sleazy agents hanging around, etc. That's the way the administration likes it! Do you really think Fr. Harrington will go out on a limb like he did with Jarvis and get burned again!? NO CHANCE. This team will STINK for a long time under Norm's on-the-job training, but it will be clean. And that's all the admin cares about. Get used to Norm in Flushing for many more years... :'(

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #63 on: December 31, 2007, 03:42:48 PM »
It's weird that losing is a safe choice; the program needs a change, and any decent offensive-minded coach would bring this team a few more wins-- this year or next year.  The guys are already dedicated to defense, they need someone with a better plan than "take your man off the dribble and someone else jump in for the rebound."

Randomhero423

« Reply #64 on: December 31, 2007, 03:46:25 PM »
the only optimistic observation i see is that if this class stays together another 2 years, we will finish in the middle of the be pact. the question is, can redmen nation wait that long.

makes no sense. what's the point of waiting to be a borderline NCAA team?  espically in year 6...

and we have NO recruits on the horizon...

« Reply #65 on: January 01, 2008, 12:46:40 AM »

makes no sense. what's the point of waiting to be a borderline NCAA team?  espically in year 6...

listen JUNIOR why don't you crawl back into the cave you came from you CLOSET SYRACUSE FAN. its become QUITE clear that the reason you post here so often is that you HAVE IT OUT for this program and you must be BUTT BUDDIES with that bald-&^%$ MIKE JARVIS  ;) ;D ::) ::) :-\ :-\ :o >:( :( ;) :) ;D ::) :-X :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( ??? 8) :( :-X

i know that i said that we would land a top flight recruit SEVERAL months ago and that hasn't happened, but i STILL have faith in this staff to land a top area player, even if there are NO top area players left in this 2008 class.  i do hear that this kid DICK MCGLICK out of bumble#$%^ hs in kalamazoo, michigan is averaging 17 ppg in the michigan class J public school league. 

stop drinking that.....

HATERADE

please let the players play and our glorious coach BRING US BACK TO THE TOP of the big east.  dont worry fellow WHITE AND RED fans, just because this team cant beat teams with maybe one or two high-major quality players (niagara, ohio, tulane, almost marist) doesnt mean we cant beat a team with about 7 high-major quality players. 

Let that FOOL Calipari have his undefeated season and number 2 ranking, at least we know that he wasnt the man for the job because of all the baggage he comes with.

Don't bring you WEAK STUFF in here JUNIOR, because youll just get KNOCKED back down to earth.

PEACE 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

Randomhero423

« Reply #66 on: January 01, 2008, 12:51:19 AM »
hahahahha.  that was flawless!

kob24

« Reply #67 on: January 01, 2008, 01:02:05 AM »
u 1000% percent right pmg. the only difference is i dont think norm will get fired. i just dont see it he would have gotten fired already. i think admnistration really likes him.

The adminstration likes the way he runs the program and he has been doing exactly what he has been told to do by the adminstration...

While I think he deserves, VERY MUCH, to be let go at the end of the year..  I agree with you that I think he will be the coach next year...   the man is in ovber his head as a Division I Head Coach... 

As a former St. John's player said to me once about Norm...    "some guys are meant to be assistants.."

u know whats funny thats like the 6 time ive heard that.

pmg911

« Reply #68 on: January 01, 2008, 09:11:00 AM »
The reason Norm will be back next year (Hate to say it) is that he is a SAFE CHOICE!! You'll never have a recruiting scandal with him, payoffs, sleazy agents hanging around, etc. That's the way the administration likes it! Do you really think Fr. Harrington will go out on a limb like he did with Jarvis and get burned again!? NO CHANCE. This team will STINK for a long time under Norm's on-the-job training, but it will be clean. And that's all the admin cares about. Get used to Norm in Flushing for many more years... :'(

When Jarvis was hired he was an excellent choice....   and no where near a risk...  Fr. Harrington didn't go "out on a limb" to hire him...      what would make you think he was a risk when he was hired...

Norm Roberts was a risk.. .  and unproven Div I assistant with a losing record when he was a head coach in Div II. In terms of the basketball team it was a risk that has exploded in the face of the University.

« Reply #69 on: January 01, 2008, 02:08:35 PM »
I agree with you. Norm WAS a risk in terms of basketball, but not a risk in terms of doing anything stupid and tarnishing the name of the university. I liked the Jarvis hiring when it was announced, but boy, we know how that turned out! If it was up to me, I would part ways with Norm at the end of the season, and heavily recruit a legit D-1 coach. A winning program will pay for itself in no time!

pmg911

« Reply #70 on: January 01, 2008, 03:27:40 PM »
I agree with you. Norm WAS a risk in terms of basketball, but not a risk in terms of doing anything stupid and tarnishing the name of the university. I liked the Jarvis hiring when it was announced, but boy, we know how that turned out! If it was up to me, I would part ways with Norm at the end of the season, and heavily recruit a legit D-1 coach. A winning program will pay for itself in no time!

You wrote this in an earlier post..
"Do you really think Fr. Harrington will go out on a limb like he did with Jarvis "
  and I replied and asked what would make you think that..   

can you answer the question...  what makes you think Fr. Harrington went "out on a limb" to hire Jarvis..?

« Reply #71 on: January 01, 2008, 03:37:04 PM »
Why do I think Jarvis was a risk? Well, since I wasn't in the room when the decision was made, i'll go on what we know. The guy was a putz, plain and simple! Starting with the nepotism, the big money he got, (That's a risk isn't it? Paying a LOT of money to anyone for a job? They may not work out, they may make things worse etc) These are all risks! Second, I'm SURE, SJU did their homework on Jarvis and knew the good, bad and the ugly. The guy gutted the program plain and simple, and SJU HAD to know of at least a few skeletons in Jarvis' closet, but they took a chance and hired him. THAT'S the risk you take when hiring someone from the outside! And finally SJU paid Jarvis BIG bucks after they let him go. But, I guess that wasn't "going out on a limb" right?

pmg911

« Reply #72 on: January 01, 2008, 05:28:52 PM »
Why do I think Jarvis was a risk? Well, since I wasn't in the room when the decision was made, i'll go on what we know. The guy was a putz, plain and simple! Starting with the nepotism, the big money he got, (That's a risk isn't it? Paying a LOT of money to anyone for a job? They may not work out, they may make things worse etc) These are all risks! Second, I'm SURE, SJU did their homework on Jarvis and knew the good, bad and the ugly. The guy gutted the program plain and simple, and SJU HAD to know of at least a few skeletons in Jarvis' closet, but they took a chance and hired him. THAT'S the risk you take when hiring someone from the outside! And finally SJU paid Jarvis BIG bucks after they let him go. But, I guess that wasn't "going out on a limb" right?

You have absolutely no facts in that response besides Jarvis getting paid after he was gone...

Skelteons in his closet..?     the good, the bad & the ugly..    what are you talking about..   elaborate please...     or better yet. .  stop talking about something you obviously know nothing about...

The guy was highly successful coach @ George Washington and had taken his team to multiple  NCAA Tournaments..   unlike Norm Roberts..  Mike Jarvis was qualified for the job when he got hired...

What he did after his arrival is a completely different story but when hired he was an excellent choice for St. John's...

Dan

« Reply #73 on: January 01, 2008, 05:45:07 PM »

listen JUNIOR why don't you crawl back into the cave you came from you CLOSET SYRACUSE FAN. its become QUITE clear that the reason you post here so often is that you HAVE IT OUT for this program and you must be BUTT BUDDIES with that bald-&^%$ MIKE JARVIS  ;) ;D ::) ::) :-\ :-\ :o >:( :( ;) :) ;D ::) :-X :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( ??? 8) :( :-X

i know that i said that we would land a top flight recruit SEVERAL months ago and that hasn't happened, but i STILL have faith in this staff to land a top area player, even if there are NO top area players left in this 2008 class.  i do hear that this kid DICK MCGLICK out of bumble#$%^ hs in kalamazoo, michigan is averaging 17 ppg in the michigan class J public school league. 

stop drinking that.....

HATERADE

please let the players play and our glorious coach BRING US BACK TO THE TOP of the big east.  dont worry fellow WHITE AND RED fans, just because this team cant beat teams with maybe one or two high-major quality players (niagara, ohio, tulane, almost marist) doesnt mean we cant beat a team with about 7 high-major quality players. 

Let that FOOL christopher walken have his undefeated season and number 2 ranking, at least we know that he wasnt the man for the job because of all the baggage he comes with.

Don't bring you WEAK STUFF in here JUNIOR, because youll just get KNOCKED back down to earth.

PEACE 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Oh no old red stole your computer.

But you forgot this:

Tha Kid

« Reply #74 on: January 01, 2008, 05:53:29 PM »

You have absolutely no facts in that response besides Jarvis getting paid after he was gone...

Skelteons in his closet..?     the good, the bad & the ugly..    what are you talking about..   elaborate please...     or better yet. .  stop talking about something you obviously know nothing about...

The guy was highly successful coach @ George Washington and had taken his team to multiple  NCAA Tournaments..   unlike Norm Roberts..  Mike Jarvis was qualified for the job when he got hired...

What he did after his arrival is a completely different story but when hired he was an excellent choice for St. John's...

Jarvis was not a risk - but in retrospect perhaps we should have been more wary about hiring someone with so little ties to the NYC bball community.  THat said, he added Dermon Player to the staff and signed Omar Cook - even if he alienated much of the rest of NYC ties in his time here.
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #75 on: January 01, 2008, 07:49:50 PM »
HELLO!!! QUOTE-"I liked the Jarvis hiring when it was announced" did you not read the post? Why don't you stop being so upset with my OPINION! Relax, I'm not saying i was there, and that i know the facts of the situation, so lay off, and respect other people's opinions, even if they don't agree with your own!

pmg911

« Reply #76 on: January 01, 2008, 08:55:28 PM »
HELLO!!! QUOTE-"I liked the Jarvis hiring when it was announced" did you not read the post? Why don't you stop being so upset with my OPINION! Relax, I'm not saying i was there, and that i know the facts of the situation, so lay off, and respect other people's opinions, even if they don't agree with your own!

HELLO. . I am still waiting for you to explain how hiring Jarvis was.. "going out on a limb.."   

You are ceratinly entitled to your opinion..   and if you think that hiring Jarvis was "going out on  a limb" or "a risk".. good for you..  just asking you to explain that opinion...

Can you..?

« Reply #77 on: January 01, 2008, 10:20:18 PM »

HELLO. . I am still waiting for you to explain how hiring Jarvis was.. "going out on a limb.."   

You are ceratinly entitled to your opinion..   and if you think that hiring Jarvis was "going out on  a limb" or "a risk".. good for you..  just asking you to explain that opinion...

Can you..?

I thought Jarvis was a good hire at the time...man was I wrong.  But the one risk that was brought up when he was hired was that he was a Boston guy and wouldn't be able to handle recruiting NYC...understatement of the millennium....
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #78 on: January 01, 2008, 11:50:45 PM »
Jumpinjohnny took the words out of my mouth. Does that mean that every coach from NYC will automatically be better? Obviously not, but it is something to consider, seeing as the AAU relationships Jarvis blew off are a HUGE recruiting tool.

« Reply #79 on: January 02, 2008, 10:26:59 AM »

what im saying is that the optimistic view i proposed is WEAK.......i agree with you there is NO optimism here!