Yes, I'm Crazy!!

• 18 replies
Yes, I'm Crazy!!
« on: December 30, 2007, 09:04:48 PM »
Allright, I'm the ultimate optimist so take this post with a grain of salt.

We have been miserable, arguably the most dissappointing year thus far under the Norm era.  I root for Norm, but at this point I want to win, and if he has to go, see ya later.  1 thing I always have liked about Norm and his teams is that I thought he was a tough dude and our teams always were tough.  We brought Norm in because he's a NYC guy, and when I think of a guy from NYC I instantly think of guys who won't back down from anyone and love the challenge.  Norm isn't a stupid guy (even though he might sound it and show us it on the court at times) and he knows we need to win.  Of course he's going to tell the media these guys are young blah blah but you all know damn well he was tearing those kids apart.  I always felt the Big East season was a completely different season, so in my eyes we're starting off 0-0 (what suck is we're really 6-5 and have no cushion to screw this up lol).  I thought about what teams are the best in the Big East and how we might look compared to them, and honestly guys, its not that crazy to think we could make some noise. 

Pitt - No fields and cook ... where are they going to get points from?? There aren't close to as scary to me as they were 2 weeks ago. 

Louisville - Have been subpar all year ... Palacios and Padgett might be comign back but really how good will they be and I'm sure Caracter will get another game off here or there.

Syracuse - No Devendorf ... I hate the kid but he has experience in the Big East and that team seems to give up a crapload of points to EVERYONE.

Georgetown - I've watched them a few times this year and they are obviously good but they aren't unstoppable.  They dont have a go to guy like Green last year and that will definetely hurt them in big spots.  Hibbert is good but hes not ever going to drop 25 on ya.

Marquette - I know a lot of people are falling in love with them but we went toe to toe with them last year in the BE Tourny.  I still think James only thinks about the NBA and they are pretty weak down low.  I also feel bad for them bc they're road games are longer road trips then most of the other teams in the conference.

Villanova - It's hard to bash them, they are damn good.  They throw good guard after good guard at you.  On that same token I can see them shooting themselves right out of a game just like how they'll light a good team up too. 

West Virginia - I honestly havent seen them play this year and they scare the crap out of me because of Huggins.  I know they lost to OU yesterday but thats about it.

UCONN - I don't think they're much better then last year.  They have all the horses but something just doesnt click with that team.  Thabeet hasnt been what they wanted and others havent really lived up to expectations either.  Plus, after AJ they dont have a good PG to get the ball to all those guys.

Notre Dame - I know they'll win they're share of games but I always like how we match up against them.  They lost they're 2 best scorers from last year and i think will have a hard time getting buckets down the stretch.  We usually put up a nice fight and even pull some out (thank you larry!!)

Providence - Weird team that should be a lot better then they are and are real mysterious to me.  My good friend is a Prov guy and he's constantly bashing the squad and Welsh (similar to how we all are) so I think they'll have their ups and downs.

Seton Hall, Rutgers, South Florida, Cincy, Depaul - None of these scare me at all and quite frankly have had just as rough a non conf season as us.  I know the hall has won a lot of games but they are barely winning and going to OT against crappy teams.

So I mean who knows what will happen.  Are we going to roll through the Big East? No, I doubt that but do i think we can be a player? yeah i really think we could suprise people.  This team has talent, its up to Norm to figure out who to play, when to play em and how to play em.  It's time for Geno to step up and be the Senior Captain hes supposed to be and lead these guys.  It's time for Mase to show us he's ready to be a star at this level.  It starts with those 2 guys on the court to lead the way and show these youngins how to win.  There is no reason we don't go .500 and quite frankly i'll be pist if we go much less.  We are starting to get healthy as other teams are losing guys, our freshman will start to grow up and our coach is going to teach these boys how to fight every second of the game to get W's.  Ok, I'm sure I'll get reemed if we get smacked by Cuse on Wednesday but who cares I'll still be rooting for them on Saturday and all the days after that.  WE ARE ... STJOHNS!!!

Randomhero423

Re: Yes, I'm Crazy!!
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2007, 09:14:13 PM »
Dajuan Blair can easily have a 20/20 game on us and Sam Young is averaging 18 ppg for them.  We have no chance to beat Pitt..

Louisville is near impossible as well. Pitino is a great coach and he'll make sure they win.  Caracter will try his hardest to stay out of trouble, as I think he'll be thrown off with one more violation.  Padgett coming back is a big deal.  Earl Clark/Williams is very good as well.  Edgar Sosa is a *********, but he'll play very hard against STJ..

'cuse is much more talented then stj, with harris/greene/flynn.  i think JB will make sure they play tough defense.  there is a possibility we can win, but i wouldn't bet on it.

NOVA we'll get blown out unless we stop the tempo.  if we stop the tempo, we'll lose by single digits.

i'm not even going to bother with the rest.  i'm seriously doubting we can make the BE tourney.  but we must MUST MUST beat teams like sf/rutgers/depaul/cincy/seton hall. in order to have a chance..

pmg911

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2007, 09:31:31 PM »
Allright, I'm the ultimate optimist so take this post with a grain of salt

and honestly guys, its not that crazy to think we could make some noise. 

with all due respect. .  yes it is crazy...    3 - 4 conf wins..  TOPS

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2007, 09:34:22 PM »
scooby...your sick!!

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2007, 09:46:36 PM »
any team in america can beat any team in america on any given night. The likely hood is unlikely but the possibility is there.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

kjd01067

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2007, 10:40:34 PM »
Scooby you read my mind and i agree 100% with you !

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2007, 12:01:01 AM »
I don't think we're winning the Big East, but i think we'll have a chance to win some games.  Why not us?? Come on look at some of the teams in sports to go far this year.  We'll be the Colorado Rockies of the Big East Baby!! lolol I just want to believe.

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2007, 01:16:14 AM »
why do we keep comparing ourselves to major league baseball teams haha
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2007, 06:57:30 AM »
As a fan, you have every right to make a post like this. It just stinks that the Norm Roberts era has supplied nothing but delusions of grandeur.

We've only beaten NEC teams, Marist, and Hawaii. We are amongst the worst teams in the Big East, and we will get a couple of conference wins because a few opponents will take us lightly.

What do you consider "making some noise" anyway? Theres no way in hell this team wins more than 6 conference games.

Poison

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2007, 07:41:43 AM »
Allright, I'm the ultimate optimist so take this post with a grain of salt.

We have been miserable, arguably the most dissappointing year thus far under the Norm era.  I root for Norm, but at this point I want to win, and if he has to go, see ya later.  1 thing I always have liked about Norm and his teams is that I thought he was a tough dude and our teams always were tough.  We brought Norm in because he's a NYC guy, and when I think of a guy from NYC I instantly think of guys who won't back down from anyone and love the challenge.  Norm isn't a stupid guy (even though he might sound it and show us it on the court at times) and he knows we need to win.  Of course he's going to tell the media these guys are young blah blah but you all know damn well he was tearing those kids apart.  I always felt the Big East season was a completely different season, so in my eyes we're starting off 0-0 (what suck is we're really 6-5 and have no cushion to screw this up lol).  I thought about what teams are the best in the Big East and how we might look compared to them, and honestly guys, its not that crazy to think we could make some noise. 

Pitt - No fields and cook ... where are they going to get points from?? There aren't close to as scary to me as they were 2 weeks ago. 

Louisville - Have been subpar all year ... Palacios and Padgett might be comign back but really how good will they be and I'm sure Caracter will get another game off here or there.

Syracuse - No Devendorf ... I hate the kid but he has experience in the Big East and that team seems to give up a crapload of points to EVERYONE.

Georgetown - I've watched them a few times this year and they are obviously good but they aren't unstoppable.  They dont have a go to guy like Green last year and that will definetely hurt them in big spots.  Hibbert is good but hes not ever going to drop 25 on ya.

Marquette - I know a lot of people are falling in love with them but we went toe to toe with them last year in the BE Tourny.  I still think James only thinks about the NBA and they are pretty weak down low.  I also feel bad for them bc they're road games are longer road trips then most of the other teams in the conference.

Villanova - It's hard to bash them, they are damn good.  They throw good guard after good guard at you.  On that same token I can see them shooting themselves right out of a game just like how they'll light a good team up too. 

West Virginia - I honestly havent seen them play this year and they scare the crap out of me because of Huggins.  I know they lost to OU yesterday but thats about it.

UCONN - I don't think they're much better then last year.  They have all the horses but something just doesnt click with that team.  Thabeet hasnt been what they wanted and others havent really lived up to expectations either.  Plus, after AJ they dont have a good PG to get the ball to all those guys.

Notre Dame - I know they'll win they're share of games but I always like how we match up against them.  They lost they're 2 best scorers from last year and i think will have a hard time getting buckets down the stretch.  We usually put up a nice fight and even pull some out (thank you larry!!)

Providence - Weird team that should be a lot better then they are and are real mysterious to me.  My good friend is a Prov guy and he's constantly bashing the squad and Welsh (similar to how we all are) so I think they'll have their ups and downs.

Seton Hall, Rutgers, South Florida, Cincy, Depaul - None of these scare me at all and quite frankly have had just as rough a non conf season as us.  I know the hall has won a lot of games but they are barely winning and going to OT against crappy teams.

So I mean who knows what will happen.  Are we going to roll through the Big East? No, I doubt that but do i think we can be a player? yeah i really think we could suprise people.  This team has talent, its up to Norm to figure out who to play, when to play em and how to play em.  It's time for Geno to step up and be the Senior Captain hes supposed to be and lead these guys.  It's time for Mase to show us he's ready to be a star at this level.  It starts with those 2 guys on the court to lead the way and show these youngins how to win.  There is no reason we don't go .500 and quite frankly i'll be pist if we go much less.  We are starting to get healthy as other teams are losing guys, our freshman will start to grow up and our coach is going to teach these boys how to fight every second of the game to get W's.  Ok, I'm sure I'll get reemed if we get smacked by Cuse on Wednesday but who cares I'll still be rooting for them on Saturday and all the days after that.  WE ARE ... STJOHNS!!!

We've actually regressed since the opening tip off.
The problems that other teams face less severe because the other coaches are smart enough to adjust.

Think Cuse is going to have any trouble with us? Ofcourse not. Expect a 87-59 loss.
Pittsburgh? They'll still kill us. Louisville too.

None of these teams are orld beaters in their current state, but they'll beat us because of Roberts.

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2007, 08:03:54 AM »

2 wins vs UConn an Nova

pmg911

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2007, 10:05:30 AM »

2 wins vs UConn an Nova

We can't beat Niagra and you think we will beat UConn and Nova...

Marco..   what is your reasoning here...    or is it just your dislike of UConn & NOVA

and don't forget. . CRACK KILLS

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2007, 12:22:59 PM »
I'd like to stay positive, and I am cheering on the team, and hoping for cohesion and a solid attack, but as of this moment I think St. John's will finish below Florida and might only have wins against Cincy, Rutgers, and Depaul.  Once each.  I hope I am wrong about that.

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2007, 01:01:25 PM »
my goodness scooby, why not predict sju wins the national championship this year?  8)

« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2007, 01:05:03 PM »
my goodness scooby, why not predict sju wins the national championship this year?  8)

never said they'd win anything dude, just think we can be more competetive then people think.  If i had to predict i'd predict 11th but I'm hoping for 8 or 9.

« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2007, 02:53:00 PM »
Scoobydoo...RightOn!!!!!. On any given night. The Johnnies play tough "D",who knows. We (The Fans) are hurting,but not throwing in the towel.  Norm's leadership comes from Tomas,Geno & Mase. All three have big hearts. The truth is probably Mase would have been the only one to get a free ride to SJU, but due to Jarvis burning all local AAU bridges,lossing scholarships from the NCAA & a very damaged basketball reputation. Geno & Tomas have been given very tough shoes to fit. I get on them at times but I realize both are playing the best ball they ever have.  By all accounts the players coming in were ranked somewhere between 15-35 in overall class. Remember D-1 has more than 325 schools. Most of the players on this team were playing in H.S. gyms this time last yr.The players that transfered out couldn't play Big East "D"(like Madadors,waving the opponents past them). they didn't like to put the time in to practice.  Scoobydoo keep the faith.   Go Redmen!!!!

« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2008, 02:12:46 PM »
We'll be lucky to be Rutgers and USF. I'd be SHOCKED if we win any more than that! Norm ain't the answer!

« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2008, 03:47:16 PM »
SJU should beat Rutgers and USF.  Outside of that maybe 2 or 3 other big east wins if norm decides to run the shotclock down and keep the score low like he did in his first 3 years. 
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2008, 10:58:23 PM »
we're good for at least 2 upsets...Cuse is beatable only because they play zero defense,,,obviously I'm not betting on it.  Louisville is also beatable(if they lose 3 more scholly players to injury)

Also Depaul, Cincy, USF, Rutgers and Providence are all "beatable".
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!