Malcolm Armstead - PG - Chipola Junior College - Florence, Alabama - OREGON

• 53 replies
Re: Malcolm Armstead - PG - Chipola Junior College
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2009, 02:27:29 PM »
Also, no info on how many minutes per game he played.  So I won't crap on his stats without a sense of context.

Sorry can't agree.  If he was averaging 15 or so a game then we can look at the context. He is averaging SIX.  That is two treys and done for the game.  It's not like he's pouring in double-digit assists either. 

If he can't score at the JC level, why would he score at the Big East D-1 level?

Find me one good JC transfer that did not average double-digit points.  They may be a good team, but they play against some real crap here and there.

Hatten played in the same conference and put up ridiculous numbers.  They had a PG two years ago, Stefhon Hannah maybe, that put up some good numbers as well and went on to be a good D-1 player.

I'd have to disagree here. I think minutes do matter to an extent when analyzing stats. If you want to then turn around and say if he's so good why didn't he play more minutes then thats fair to call into question.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Marillac

Re: Malcolm Armstead - PG - Chipola Junior College
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2009, 02:34:16 PM »
Also, no info on how many minutes per game he played.  So I won't crap on his stats without a sense of context.

Sorry can't agree.  If he was averaging 15 or so a game then we can look at the context. He is averaging SIX.  That is two treys and done for the game.  It's not like he's pouring in double-digit assists either. 

If he can't score at the JC level, why would he score at the Big East D-1 level?

Find me one good JC transfer that did not average double-digit points.  They may be a good team, but they play against some real crap here and there.

Hatten played in the same conference and put up ridiculous numbers.  They had a PG two years ago, Stefhon Hannah maybe, that put up some good numbers as well and went on to be a good D-1 player.

I'd have to disagree here. I think minutes do matter to an extent when analyzing stats. If you want to then turn around and say if he's so good why didn't he play more minutes then thats fair to call into question.

Dude, six points?  C'mon.  Find me one good JUCO that averaged less than double-digits.  It's ridiculous. 

The guys that really go on to enjoy success at the next level have eye-popping stats most of the time. 

If he averaged twice that, I'd still wonder and then things like minutes and margin of victory would come in to play.  Also, never trust JUCO FG% stats.  They are always beneficial to the player. 

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
Re: Malcolm Armstead - PG - Chipola Junior College - Florence, Alabama
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2009, 02:39:33 PM »
You can't evaluate stats without context, pure and simple.  And you can't cherry pick which stats you will and will not look at (disregarding fg%) - all of these numbers come without context.  And as far as counting numbers go, 5 assist per game actually is pretty solid, esp if he's playing with guys who like to score off the dribble.  The "can he run a team" question" is answered by more than the number of assists (see: Omar Cook's great assist numbers but so-so leadership/ pace setting skills).

I'd like to see some eye popping numbers, but what was it he averaged in high school in an earlier link?  31 points and 11 assists?  I have no idea what either of those sets of numbers mean.  I have more context for city HS ball, for example - Malik averaged something like 6 points per game his senior year at CTK, and that was a warning sign, since we knew he got a lot of time.

I don't know if Armstead's team gave more time to a sophomore scoring point.  If it were me doing the evaluating, I would have to watch a few of his games and see how he gets into the flow.  And if so many teams seemed to like him coming out of HS, why didn't he sign then?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 02:42:07 PM by peter »

Marillac

« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2009, 02:49:45 PM »
You can't evaluate stats without context, pure and simple.  And you can't cherry pick which stats you will and will not look at (disregarding fg%) - all of these numbers come without context.  And as far as counting numbers go, 5 assist per game actually is pretty solid, esp if he's playing with guys who like to score off the dribble.  The "can he run a team" question" is answered by more than the number of assists (see: Omar Cook's great assist numbers but so-so leadership/ pace setting skills).

I'd like to see some eye popping numbers, but what was it he averaged in high school in an earlier link?  31 points and 11 assists?  I have no idea what either of those sets of numbers mean.  I have more context for city HS ball, for example - Malik averaged something like 6 points per game his senior year at CTK, and that was a warning sign, since we knew he got a lot of time.

I don't know if Armstead's team gave more time to a sophomore scoring point.  If it were me doing the evaluating, I would have to watch a few of his games and see how he gets into the flow.  And if so many teams seemed to like him coming out of HS, why didn't he sign then?

I'm from the school of thought that you need to be electric at the JUCO level to even be considered for high major recruitment.  And I was a coach at a very good JUCO team.

Obviously stats alone don't tell the whole story, but when a kid is only averaging those small numbers against so-so at best (relative) competition, you have to pass.

I don't need the story behind why a kid on North Dakota State is averaging 1.3 pts and 1.8 rebounds per game.  His stats tell me enough that I don't want the rest.

Kids that really make it from that level are the kids like Hatten and Bootsie.  Kids that every coach  and player in the region knows for sure that the kid is the man and he competes WITH NOBODY on his on squad and teams center their plan around stopping him.  This is clearly not that type of talent.   Pass.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2009, 02:54:53 PM »
Armstead is competing for attention with a bunch of other D-1 prospects.  I do think that it's interesting that quite a few other schools were on this kid... that said, I much rather would have 4-year players and a point who can, at the very least, not MISS THE BASKET when taking shots like our dearly departed backup point. 

It's not like Malik Stith is going to turn the Big East on its head either, and someone's got to give Malik Boothe a break.

In terms of point guard talent... this is kind of a sad conversation.  I hope someone takes the reins and makes this freestyle, screen and dribble offense look capable.

« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2009, 03:07:03 PM »
Yea Marillac I'm not trying to defend Armstead's numbers and call them good or spectacular but I'd think they were better over 20-25 mpg than I would if they were over 30-35 mpg. This is my only point.

Personally I don't think Stith or Armstead is the answer nor do I think they are even the short term answer. This again is us trying to make something out of nothing. I hope I'm wrong and they are better than what we think but I don't think so.

sjd8886

« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2009, 12:39:15 AM »
i just find it hard to be easy on boothe when eugene lawrence was better...he had a bad senior year, but his junior year he was pretty decent...point guards...we dont ask for much...hit open jumpers and free throws, pass without turning the ball over, and handle the ball through pressure...i hope boothe is working hard this offseason

« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2009, 12:31:26 PM »
Some nice Armstead highlights....  Not to mention, I like southpaws who seem to be able to shoot.  ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiStKqiLD2w#

« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2009, 01:54:46 PM »
WOW that was a pretty impressive video. Looks like the kid can shoot the ball.
I would love to see us land Lance and this young man.

« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2009, 02:09:09 PM »
Lets remember this is a highlight video and fails to show the lowlights. Also take into consideration the level of competition etc.

Not to diminish Armstead but lets not get too excited either.

« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2009, 02:26:30 PM »
Lets remember this is a highlight video and fails to show the lowlights. Also take into consideration the level of competition etc.

I'm in agreement with you, Dave.  But, you can see that he still has a fairly, quick release and able to hit the deep ball.  That is more than we can say for Boothe.

Not to mention, he does seem to have quick hands to garner steals.  Albeit, the competition isn't what he's gonna see night-in and night-out in the Big East....  Quick hands is quick hands! 

I'll also like to add that he isn't being added to be a savior.  That is Stephenson's job.  LOL  Just kiddin'! 

« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2009, 02:39:33 PM »

I'm in agreement with you, Dave.  But, you can see that he still has a fairly, quick release and able to hit the deep ball.  That is more than we can say for Boothe.

Not to mention, he does seem to have quick hands to garner steals.  Albeit, the competition isn't what he's gonna see night-in and night-out in the Big East....  Quick hands is quick hands! 

I'll also like to add that he isn't being added to be a savior.  That is Stephenson's job.  LOL  Just kiddin'!

Look at what I said earlier in this thread...

I have a soft spot for lefty PG's. He looks like he has a pretty quick release but shoots pretty low and I'm not sure that translates in the Big East. IDK its interesting. We'll see what happens.

mkras99

« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2009, 08:05:53 PM »
Visiting Oregon this weekend.

« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2009, 04:20:31 PM »
Oregon has a million PG can we get one, that highlight video was impressive. Not sure a Boothe highlight tape can ever look like that good no matter the level.
Attack basketball, pressure defense, 40 minutes of hell ... Early on it might be 30 minutes of hell, then 10 minutes of what the hell are you doing?"

Marillac

« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2009, 05:35:22 PM »

What kid doesn't look like he can shoot the ball in his own highlight video?  He looks like he's about 5'10...six foot seems like stretch.  He used the same move everytime in this video and that will work approximately twice before Big East defenders catch on  and stop overplaying his first step.  His form leaves a lot to be desired and it looks like more than half of his shots have no arch.  He shows little to no quickness in the entire video.

Unimpressive at best.  There are a million kids just like this. 

« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2009, 06:30:45 PM »

What kid doesn't look like he can shoot the ball in his own highlight video?  He looks like he's about 5'10...six foot seems like stretch.  He used the same move everytime in this video and that will work approximately twice before Big East defenders catch on  and stop overplaying his first step.  His form leaves a lot to be desired and it looks like more than half of his shots have no arch.  He shows little to no quickness in the entire video.

and we dont have one of them
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

sjd8886

« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2009, 08:27:54 PM »

thats going a little too far isnt it

« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2009, 08:46:02 PM »

thats going a little too far isnt it

im just talking about point guards who can hit three pointers
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

to oregon.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
Good for him - they need a point and have some guys who can score.