Lance Stephenson - SF - Abraham Lincoln HS - Brooklyn, NY

• 784 replies
Re: Lance Stephenson - SF - Abraham Lincoln HS - Brooklyn, NY
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2008, 09:51:59 AM »
MSG/NYC would rock like it never has before if this kid had the guts to wear the Red & White...

Guts? Thats not necessary. Quit Goatin' the man.

oldred10

• Ya Gotta Believe!!!
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2008, 10:01:07 AM »
MSG/NYC would rock like it never has before if this kid had the guts to wear the Red & White...

I'm not "goatin" the man. Just speakin' the truth... If he really loves NYC & playing in MSG so much. Then have the balls to stand on ur own and choose SJU. Instead of listening to his "entourage" & his AAU coach..  ::) .. It's that simple. "Guts" might have been a poor choice of words but that is what i meant... peace!

"If u LOVE us that's GREAT... if u HATE us that's GREAT too... if ur in the middle... get the F*CK out!!" - Paul Stanley, KISS

pmg911

« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2008, 10:09:24 AM »

I'm not "goatin" the man. Just speakin' the truth... If he really loves NYC & playing in MSG so much. Then have the balls to stand on ur own and choose SJU. Instead of listening to his "entourage" & his AAU coach..  ::) .. It's that simple. "Guts" might have been a poor choice of words but that is what i meant... peace!

You have a local player who is about to make the most important decision of his life. .    one that will impact himself and his family FOREVER...

But you think he should have "THE GUTS" to go to St. John's..?    you have to be kidding me...   and especially in regards to Lance Stephenson...    he is already a LEGEND in the basketball community...    he can go anywhere he wants....    he doesn't need St. John's. . St. John's desperately needs him...

This kid a sure fire NBA Lottery pick..   but he needs THE GUTS to come play for a coach who has to develop a single NBA Draft pick...    Old Red..  even for you. . this one was horrendous...

I do think there is a chance he stays home and I have been saying it for over a year but no one can fault the kid if he opts to play for a coach with an established record of sending kids to the NBA...

« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2008, 10:22:24 AM »
If there is a chance that this kid plays at SJU, it will simply depend on 3 things:

1. how our team looks this year,
2. norm's situation in 09.
3. Mr. Stephenson's take

the money/nba is already there, count it. nothing to do with guts or becoming a legend......

« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2008, 10:23:26 AM »
If there is a chance that this kid plays at SJU, it will simply depend on 3 things:

1. how our team looks this year,
2. norm's situation in 09.
3. Mr. Stephenson's take

the money/nba is already there, count it. nothing to do with guts or becoming a legend......

Hire the father now

« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2008, 06:51:01 PM »
I wonder if World Wide Wes has been in contact with Lance?
« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 06:51:22 PM by Marco Baldi »

kjd01067

« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2008, 09:54:50 AM »
Never seen stephenson play but have heard he is a likely one and done.  Is he the savior we need?  Would anyone change their opinion of norm if we landed him?

"I know it has been down in the past, but St. John's has a great tradition. Coach Roberts is trying, he's working hard. He's out recruiting, trying to get some of the best caliber kids. He's working hard. With Lance working hard, I think it could definitely happen."
« Last Edit: June 14, 2008, 09:59:44 AM by kjd01067 »

« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2008, 09:59:31 AM »
so you're telling me there's a chance
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Randomhero423

« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2008, 10:36:35 AM »
there's most defintely a chance!  if he comes and our players develop we can make it to march madness.

oldred10

• Ya Gotta Believe!!!
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2008, 01:42:54 PM »
so you're telling me there's a chance

From what i hear Lance was very surprised/impressed with our talent level. Plus, he loved the coaches. Like i said, he and his pop would be insane not to see the huge oppurtunity he would have here at SJU/MSG/NYC..  ;D .. Keep ur fingers crossed folks.

"Right now we're down to Kansas, UCLA and USC," Stephenson Sr. said after his summer team, Raising Champions, blew a 21-point lead and was upset by the Central Jersey Hawks, 66-64, in their first game at Fordham University. "St. John's, too. St. John's came on late after the team camp that they had last week. Lance liked what he saw there, so that's kind of the new team.

"We're trying to narrow it down at this point, so I would say that's about it."

« Last Edit: June 14, 2008, 01:46:00 PM by oldred10 »

"If u LOVE us that's GREAT... if u HATE us that's GREAT too... if ur in the middle... get the F*CK out!!" - Paul Stanley, KISS

« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2008, 08:19:30 PM »
there's most defintely a chance!  if he comes and our players develop we can make it to march madness.

he must have read your letter..:)

« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2008, 09:56:18 PM »
Never seen stephenson play but have heard he is a likely one and done.  Is he the savior we need?  Would anyone change their opinion of norm if we landed him?

"I know it has been down in the past, but St. John's has a great tradition. Coach Roberts is trying, he's working hard. He's out recruiting, trying to get some of the best caliber kids. He's working hard. With Lance working hard, I think it could definitely happen."

norm would make ALOT of people (including myself) eat their words if he lands lance.  i still think sju's shot at lance is VERY slim though, but obviously that news is encouraging.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

Poison

« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2008, 10:14:51 AM »

Actually, I think that guts has a lot to do with it. Felipe Lopez and Zendon Hamilton came here, and it backfired for them big time. The NY media came down on them like they were pros. Ron Artest might be crazy, but he has a set of brass balls. Did it intefere with his decision? Barkley, too.

SJU needs kids that want to be in the limelight, not kids that settle for lower level ACC teams just to get out of NYC.

Any top recruit who comes here knows full well that their progress will be tracked like they were a professional athlete.
What kind of ridicule did Willie Dersch go through in Virginia when it became clear that he was barely a D1 talent?

« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2008, 10:24:42 AM »

Actually, I think that guts has a lot to do with it. Felipe Lopez and Zendon Hamilton came here, and it backfired for them big time. The NY media came down on them like they were pros. Ron Artest might be crazy, but he has a set of brass balls. Did it intefere with his decision? Barkley, too.

SJU needs kids that want to be in the limelight, not kids that settle for lower level ACC teams just to get out of NYC.

Any top recruit who comes here knows full well that their progress will be tracked like they were a professional athlete.
What kind of ridicule did Willie Dersch go through in Virginia when it became clear that he was barely a D1 talent?

If SJU is a good fit for Lance, then he will come. Only Lance and his family can determine that. If this is the pitch that is being used, it sounds like desperation.

Randomhero423

« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2008, 10:40:57 AM »

STJ was not down in out for any of those players to pick.

Poison

« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2008, 11:19:33 AM »

STJ was not down in out for any of those players to pick.

Yea, they were. We were coming off an 12 win season that included an opening game loss to Townson State.
There was no promising talent on the team, and the HOF coach had just retired.

« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2008, 09:20:14 PM »

Great point Poison, I wonder if any of that played into Landesbergs choice of schools?

Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle