"I mean I didn't really hear, I mean we didn't really watch film yet."

• 11 replies
This was said by DJ Kennedy in the pre-game press conference a day before the game. Seriously?

I know there isn't much time in between games but how do you not get film in? Or a walk-thru in practice of what you're going to do to game plan?

This just reassures my feelings that we're ill prepared for games. It always seems other teams know we ball screen a ton, they know what guys can't shoot, they know we over commit on pick and rolls defensively. How do other teams know us so well yet we never seem to know what other teams do. Jesus the team could be better prepared if they read Calm Before the Storm every game.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Re: "I mean I didn't really hear, I mean we didn't really watch film yet."
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 11:43:02 PM »
What was the answer in response to?

To be fair. I believe that a lot of teams watch film the night BEFORE the game.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2010, 11:44:55 PM »
Something in regards to what do you think about Providence's ability to rebound...

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, 11:46:49 PM »
Also too if the players aren't briefed on their opponent they shouldn't be answering questions to the media getting hung out to dry. I love DJ Kennedy and I'm not faulting him in the least bit. I wish I was able to sit in on what this team does on a daily basis for about a week or two.

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2010, 11:47:44 PM »
These kids dont watch Espn or other college games on their own?

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2010, 11:53:21 PM »
My thoughts too, Baldi. I mean even when I played rec ball as a very young kid or AAU ball when I got older. I'd always sit and watch other games when I wasn't playing. I learned so much about who I was going to play. You'd see tendencies, what kind of plays they ran, defenses, out of bounds. Even if you didn't watch a whole game and shadowed the guy you were going to guard you learned a lot.

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2010, 12:18:08 AM »
... I wish I was able to sit in on what this team does on a daily basis for about a week or two.

I would love the opportunity to do that also.  Just hard to imagine that the team doesn't watch film of every opponent.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2010, 12:24:21 AM »
I'd love the opportunity to do that for all 16 Big East schools and then compare

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2010, 03:52:57 AM »
these kids just show up and think theyre playing a scrimmage. tonites game was so sloppy, looked like the nba all star game with shit load of turnovers and without the dynamic dunks!!

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2010, 07:37:49 AM »
Shame on the DJ even I watched the Providence ND on ESPN 360 to get a look at what providence looked like.

Poison

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2010, 08:05:44 AM »
As per usual, the kids don't care.
That's been our two for 10 years.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2010, 10:23:16 AM »
For me, when I heard that quote I thought that first, that's not quite how you express that you haven't watched film - there are better ways of saying that.  But 2, I think about how Yancy Gates from Cincy and Buzz from Marquette knew exactly what St. John's was going to do on defense and offense and they can tell you how to attack it.

Meanwhile, St. John's saw presses similar to what they got last year while Boothe was out and Quincy was handling the point. Turnover numbers aside, I think Stith and Hardy are better ballhandlers than Q; how is it that the same squad with two slightly better ballhandlers can't deal with pressure?  Why is Justin in the backcourt dribbling? Why pass it side to side slowly in the face of pressure?

And then the halfcourt turnovers... different teams prepare in different ways, but watching our squad look wholly unprepared for 1/3 of their games (and sloppy in the rest) is disheartening.  I do hope that AD/ powers that be take a serious look at the deep-seated problems in this squad.