"We didn't do a great job in the 2nd half. A great player in our league got hot"

• 18 replies
A post game quote by Norm Roberts.

So we let a WVU player get hot? What did WVU do? They kept giving him the rock.

So what do we do with our guys when they get hot?

Justin Burrell scored 5 points he got yanked.

Dele Coker scored 4 points got yanked.

Justin Burrell went off and score another 5 points got yanked.

Justin Brownlee goes 4-4 while hitting the boards really well and he gets 17 min vs Sean Evans who was terrible and played 14 (started both halves)

Omari looked really good running the point and he was fitting in nicely on offense yet coach goes with Malik Stith who had more turnovers than he did points + ast + reb.

We have this depth doesn't mean we have to use it all but use it to our advantage by playing matchups and hot hands. Its so damn plain and simple to see.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

boo3

Dave, i admire your passion and devotion, but take a deep breath.  This will all be over shortly( 2 months?). Lets just get the season over with and then we can continue with non-stop next coach threads.
  I hope Burrell and DJ get to play for a real coach for 1 year at least. It would be a travesty for their college careers to be defined by Norm Roberts.

Foad

Justin Brownlee goes 4-4 while hitting the boards really well and he gets 17 min vs Sean Evans who was terrible and played 14 (started both halves)

Omari looked really good running the point and he was fitting in nicely on offense yet coach goes with Malik Stith who had more turnovers than he did points + ast + reb.

We have this depth doesn't mean we have to use it all but use it to our advantage by playing matchups and hot hands. Its so damn plain and simple to see.

WV scored 60 points in the second half. We don't score 60 points in a game. Do you really think that's a rotation issue that can be solved by getting Dele Coker more minutes?

Meanwhile Huggy benches Truck and they go on that huge run and I'm not even sure if he got back in the game after that

Interesting quote from Dele Coker's facebook from before the game

" Dele Coker  Game time...... whatever happend to the days when basketball was fun? i've only be playing for five year n two of em were fun. man..."

I still dont get how/why none of them transfered after last season.

Poison

Somehow they believed this was their fault.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
I can't believe the team gave up 57 points in the second half... and scored 60 in the game. The whole team did a bad job on defense... everyone.  And a bad job at taking good shots... they make it look impossible to play defense.

And in truth, Justin was very un-hot in the second half...

I can't believe the team gave up 57 points in the second half... and scored 60 in the game. The whole team did a bad job on defense... everyone.  And a bad job at taking good shots... they make it look impossible to play defense.

I think that Justin got looks too late into the 2nd half and he was forcing. We establish no type of rhythm and then when he gets the ball he forces it up. As a whole this team doesn't play to the level of discipline I think it should and thats because our structure is so bad. In the beginning of the game Sean Evans continually caught the ball in the half court when he was beyond the 3 point line. We were already playing a smaller lineup with Mason at the 4 why in God's green earth is Evans atop of the key?
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

kob24

peter feel me on this one how many shots did justin get in the 2nd half and where did he start the 2nd half?

boo3

Why the knock on Justin?  Only real offensive threat we had all game.  I can think of 10 other guys to knock for bad play before Burrell.

xhoops

They needed to get the ball inside to Burrell and in transition when he beats his man down floor. This team seems incapable of throwing a simple entry pass or hitting it to him when he has a long target arm towards the rim. I only saw one look to him inside (hardy)...which he scored.

xhoops

I still dont get how/why none of them transfered after last season.
Sitting out a year rule ?

Tha Kid

Peter, you're better than this. I know everyone on this board loves to make justin their whipping boy, but give me a break! The kid had a BEASTLY first half and starts on the bench? What the f?
"I drink and I know things"

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
Ok, hold up.  I'm not killing Justin Burrell here!  I never said "he sucked" or "he failed" or anything like that.  I'm just saying the shots weren't falling for him.  And he was the only offensive threat, so when his shot was off in part because he was out of rhythm - and I will agree, the team couldn't find him - the offensive game was sunk. 

I'll add that he didn't take terrible shots.  But I'm not whipping on Justin.  I just don't know how the team gave up 57 points in a half.  That's unbelievable.

Tha Kid

if you're gonna criticize anyone on offense, its gotta be dj...total non-factor yesterday on offense....as the best player on the team, gotta step up against top competition ---- like Justin and Paris did.   9 boards was nice though.
"I drink and I know things"

The only fault with Justin yesterday , is he didnt check himself back into the game, or tell Norm I am not coming out...Justin was on a roll early in the game...Why would Norm take him out??? how do you get motivated to come back in, if you know if you do well...you get yanked....Norm needs to shorten the bench, but include Dele..Dele played pretty well in the limited action he saw...Burrell was a manchild for a short time..let these kids play Norm...Hardy was mia, and so was DJ...

kob24

justin took 3 shots in the second half. he missed a three in the corner a elbow jump shot and made a layup in the paint. my beef with COACH NORM ROBERTS is that the difference in the fouls was 11 on us and 3 on them in  the second half. i dont care if u are a cyo, elementry, aau, high school, juco,d2,d3 or playground coach. when u see bullshit like that and u have ur guys like paris dj and stith attacking the basket and they arent getting calls. as a coach u flip out on the refs get a tech stand up for ur guys. norm just stood there and let his guys get embarassed. he lost my respect yesterday because of that.

I was at the game yesterday. Justin Burrell was by far our best player. He played with energy on BOTH ENDS OF THE FLOOR. In Big East games he has the best FG% and best FT% on the team. He should be starting. He should be playing 30+ minutes a game (but needs to be more selective about picking up 4th and 5th fouls).
Yesterday, Norm did pull Evans a few minutes into the first half and inserted Justin. But no matter how bad the starting five plays in the first half, they always start the second half rather than start the second half with the five who played the best in the first half. No way Boothe and Evans should have started the second half. Fortunately they both committed quick fouls and were pulled.