Remi Barry - SF - Loomis, CA (France) - Del Oro High School - NEW MEXICO STATE

• 198 replies

SJU79

Re: Remi Barry - SF - Loomis, CA (France) - Del Oro High School
« Reply #160 on: June 27, 2010, 04:26:34 PM »
There is an issue delaying his decision, as of now he will announce relatively soon that he will be playing for SJU. This issue is NOT academic related and if it does prevent him for being a redmen I will discuss it...however if/when he signs their is really no reason to talk about it. Be happy folks, looks good!

boo3

« Reply #161 on: June 27, 2010, 04:42:46 PM »
 Thanks for the update.  Your info has been spot on so far.  No reason to doubt ...great news.

sjd8886

« Reply #162 on: June 27, 2010, 08:33:33 PM »
There is an issue delaying his decision, as of now he will announce relatively soon that he will be playing for SJU. This issue is NOT academic related and if it does prevent him for being a redmen I will discuss it...however if/when he signs their is really no reason to talk about it. Be happy folks, looks good!

appreciated, thanks

« Reply #163 on: June 29, 2010, 11:13:37 AM »
Article in local California paper yesterday

http://auburnjournal.com/detail/153272.html?content_source=&category_id=&search_filter=&user_id=&event_mode=&event_ts_from=&event_ts_to=&list_type=&order_by=&order_sort=&content_class=1&sub_type=&town_id=

Barry biding his time
After unsuccessful battle for eligibility at Del Oro, French transfer could choose college soon

....Barry is also awaiting confirmation from the NCAA of his eligibility. Unlike his ordeal at Del Oro, it’s a “when” rather than “if” situation, according to Hendricks.

“He went to four high schools on two different continents and they have to evaluate everything,” Hendricks said. “They have to investigate his amateur status and do a complete evaluation of all his coursework. In most cases students are either a foreign student or an American student. He’s both, and that adds to the complexity. It takes time.”

Barry, who plans to study business in college, could ultimately lean toward St. John’s. He connected with head coach Steve Lavin. Barry also has relatives in New York and enjoyed previous trips to the Big Apple.

“Wherever he decides to go they’re going to be extremely happy with him,” Haynes said. “He hasn’t let on one way or another. He’s keeping it close to his vest. I would love to see him go to St. John’s. Two coaches on that staff were NBA assistant coaches. If Remi is definitely thinking about going to that level, I think St. John’s would be the place to be, but then again, UCLA is UCLA. Anywhere he goes he could be the face of the program.”

« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 04:40:59 PM by peter »
Molloy '71

sjd8886

« Reply #164 on: June 29, 2010, 04:14:05 PM »
that underlined part is something i didnt think i would hear for a while...if you want to go pro, st johns is a good decision...haha, what a difference a year makes :)

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #165 on: June 29, 2010, 04:43:26 PM »
SteveP - Sorry, I amended your post.   Wanted to make sure we're not lifting whole articles without permission. 

There is always some issue with lifting whole articles from another site, and we should try to take 2-4 paragraphs and link to the rest - is that how "fair use" is supposed to work?  I know a couple of people have had opinions on it - pm me and let me know if I have it right.

Moose

« Reply #166 on: June 29, 2010, 07:48:02 PM »
SteveP - Sorry, I amended your post.   Wanted to make sure we're not lifting whole articles without permission. 

There is always some issue with lifting whole articles from another site, and we should try to take 2-4 paragraphs and link to the rest - is that how "fair use" is supposed to work?  I know a couple of people have had opinions on it - pm me and let me know if I have it right.

I could be wrong but I thought that was just the case with anything that is pay restricted?  Such as a Rivals or Scout story.  I didn't think it applied to newspapers where their content isn't for pay only online?

Semantics anyway :)
Remember who broke the Slice news

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #167 on: June 29, 2010, 08:21:35 PM »

I could be wrong but I thought that was just the case with anything that is pay restricted?  Such as a Rivals or Scout story.  I didn't think it applied to newspapers where their content isn't for pay only online?

The first I heard of an organization making a big stink about it was the AP, actually, with sports blogs and political blogs: http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20080617/0740561432.shtml is a good overview.

As for Remi, interesting that his AAU coach seems to have a relationship with Lavin or some strong appreciation for him.

« Reply #168 on: June 29, 2010, 11:57:03 PM »

You may be correct but I'd prefer to give more credit to the author by driving traffic to their site. So I'd prefer to give a few quotes + links. I'm sure a few slip through the cracks as myself nor any of the moderators try to be nazi's about it. We just try to make people aware so they can be courteous to the author.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #169 on: June 30, 2010, 09:58:58 AM »
Yea- I knew there was some kind of rule, but I thought as it was an out of town
 "Non Pay" newspaper site, and I put link @ top of page it was ok.
I stand corrected.

All was 1 week old info or more. I should have copied only
the 2 sentence quote from his H.S. coach that I underlined.

BTW to give proper credit, I noticed a post on redmen.com  by "91law", & found  the article.

keep our fingers crossed !
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 10:11:36 AM by stevep502 »
Molloy '71

« Reply #170 on: July 08, 2010, 08:03:33 PM »
http://www.zagsblog.com/2010/07/08/remi-barry-still-waiting-on-ncaa/#more-36631

"I’m waiting on the NCAA on everything,” the 6-foot-7 Barry said Thursday night by phone.

“Basically, there’s a lot of things they don’t know. They don’t know if I’m eligible. They’re trying to figure it out.”

« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 08:04:42 PM by Marco Baldi »

« Reply #171 on: July 08, 2010, 08:56:39 PM »
Would it be better for us if he's reclassified as a 2011?

« Reply #172 on: July 08, 2010, 09:53:48 PM »
Would it be better for us if he's reclassified as a 2011?

I don't think so.  Would rather him have a year of experience.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #173 on: July 09, 2010, 12:00:43 AM »
I'm fully confident Remi is coming here. He needs to wait on NCAA before committing. We don't want a Derwin Kitchen case if he commits then de-commits and can't recommit due to eligibility issues. Wait, be patient, and trust.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #174 on: July 10, 2010, 09:14:53 AM »
Barry sat out his entire senior season at Del Oro High in Loomis, Calif. after having his eligibility denied due to transfer rules. Now it's the NCAA that has yet to clear him while it scrutinizes an academic record involving high schools spanning two continents.

"It's killing me," Barry said Friday in between games at the Nor Cal Summer Tip Off.

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/13156/remi-barry-remains-hopeful-but-unsigned
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #175 on: July 30, 2010, 10:10:38 PM »
On Redmen.com "fordham96" " today posted a new Rivals article with not much new information.

It says his options are JUCO, redshirt, overseas etc.

The NCAA is screwed up if it takes this long to review a few classes.
They really screw with kids lives.

Could he take a semester off (assuming approved/qualified say October),
enroll Jan 2011 & play immediately ?

Kids who are non qualifiers because of grades go to JUCO.
What does a kid do if NCAA says 1-2 foreign classes don't count (even though his HS accepted them) ?
He prob could have retaken them @ HS"summer school" ?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2010, 09:11:00 AM by stevep502 »
Molloy '71

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #176 on: August 05, 2010, 12:54:25 PM »
http://www.zagsblog.com/2010/08/05/providences-french-recruit-wont-qualify/

Of interest:

Alexandre Gavrilovic, a 6-foot-9, 225-pound French post player, is not qualified to play at Providence this season because of a conversion issue related to his French grades....

According to Barto, the problem stems from how the NCAA is converting the grades of French students who come to the U.S.

“The NCAA is using a different conversion for French students than the one used by the government of France,” Barto wrote in an email.

“Many great students from France are not getting through the clearinghouse because of this error.  There are 10-12 other high-level athletes that were not weighted properly. It is not fair to have to go to junior college or sit out a whole year when they excelled in their French high school and met the requirements.”...

and

Remi Barry, a 6-7 wing from Del Oro (Calif.) High School, is also a French native who is considering St. John’s, UCLA and Arizona State.

But sources said Barry’s issues with the NCAA Clearinghouse are not necessarily the same as Gavrilovic.

One source with knowledge said Barry was facing a combination of factors in his battled with the NCAA.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #177 on: August 18, 2010, 11:25:55 AM »
To New Mexico State, as posted by Marillac (on Redmen) before Adam Zagoria.  Marillac with the scoop!  New Mexico State accepts non-qualifiers.

[tweet]http://twitter.com/AdamZagoria/status/21498132757[/tweet]

« Reply #178 on: August 18, 2010, 11:26:38 AM »
Marillac via Redmen.com had reported this shortly after midnight....  It's now being officially reported.

6-7 French wing Remi Barry of Del Oro (Calif.) High has committed to New Mexico State, per his AAU coach. The WAC accepts non-qualifiers.

[tweet]http://twitter.com/AdamZagoria/statuses/21498132757[/tweet]

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #179 on: August 18, 2010, 02:39:51 PM »
Brandon Tierney of MSG states that St. John's wasn't willing to take a flier on his academic status - says "he didn't qualify in the classroom, and according to my source "will never play college basketball"" but will be in the league. 

I don't think St. John's CAN take a flier on his academic status.  Whichever.  Know that it seems, like many people intimated, Remi Barry would have come here.  But kudos to Lavin for identifying an impact talent (despite the academic flaws) and getting him interested in coming here.