Jakarr Sampson - SF - Brewster Academy - Akron, OH - ST. JOHN'S

• 1462 replies

MCNPA

Re: Jakarr Sampson - SF - Brewster Academy - Akron, OH - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #1280 on: March 17, 2012, 11:24:00 AM »
JaKarr Sampson Comes Back to St. John's!

Such a touching video and shows what a great, great recruit we have in Jakarr.  Another kid with great character and great heart who really wants to be here.  It's great to have him back and I wish him great success here.

sju89tr

« Reply #1281 on: March 17, 2012, 11:28:45 AM »

Such a touching video and shows what a great, great recruit we have in Jakarr.  Another kid with great character and great heart who really wants to be here.  It's great to have him back and I wish him great success here.

It would have been very special to see him and Moe on the court at same time.

ras

« Reply #1282 on: March 17, 2012, 12:12:02 PM »

It would have been very special to see him and Moe on the court at same time.
=1

« Reply #1283 on: March 17, 2012, 12:12:49 PM »
Still could happen...

Poison

« Reply #1284 on: March 17, 2012, 12:27:40 PM »
BTW-Now you now why JaKarr was never enrolled at SJU.  Would never have been allowed to come back to SJU or Providence for that matter because of Big East rules on non-qualifiers.

Who made that awful rule?

derk

« Reply #1285 on: March 17, 2012, 02:34:39 PM »
BTW-Now you now why JaKarr was never enrolled at SJU.  Would never have been allowed to come back to SJU or Providence for that matter because of Big East rules on non-qualifiers.

Sorry if I missed this but are you saying that you cannot re recruit your own guy and/or another BE schools guy who enrolled but then was declared academically ineligible ?

« Reply #1286 on: March 17, 2012, 02:41:31 PM »

Sorry if I missed this but are you saying that you cannot re recruit your own guy and/or another BE schools guy who enrolled but then was declared academically ineligible ?

Yes I believe that is what happened with Derwin Kitchen
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

Moose

« Reply #1287 on: March 17, 2012, 02:54:59 PM »

Mike Glover as well.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #1288 on: March 17, 2012, 07:28:48 PM »

Mike Glover as well.

Darnel Dodson of Pitt-2007 is actually the best example.  After withdrawing from Pitt in October after failing to qualify he went to Miami for JUCO got qualified and wanted to go back to Pitt but could not.  Ended up at Memphis.

Bottom line is if you enroll a kid who has not cleared yet you are rolling the dice.

« Reply #1289 on: March 17, 2012, 07:48:28 PM »
The Big 12 has a similar rule and there was the crazy case of Roburt Sallie.

In 2006 Sallie was set to go to Nebraska.  He was decalred a NQ and so he went to JUCO in San Fran.  He recommitted to Nebraska and was set to go starting in 2008.  Right?  Wrong. 

It turns out he was enrolled at Nebraska for about 48 hours back in 2006 when he first signed with them.  He never went to a class.  It was such a short time he did not even know he was technically enrolled.  Because of this he was not allowed to go back to Nebraska.  They even appealed and he was denied the appeal by the Big 12.  He ended up at Memphis.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2008/jun/16/tigers-get-basketball-commitment-6-5-guard-sallie/

Sallie was set to go to Nebraska out of prep school but had to go to junior college when he failed to qualify. He kept his commitment, but because he had already been enrolled there once before, a Big 12 rule technicality prevented him from enrolling a second time within the same 18-month window.

« Reply #1290 on: March 18, 2012, 02:26:37 AM »
Maybe many people were surprised but the people in the know on this board (and I exclude myself from that description) were pretty confident we would resign Jakarr.

What about the first time we recruited Jakarr?  Some big boys were after him then?  Moe Harkless was a Uconn verbal, we seemed to compete fine with those big boys? All of last years recruiting class, sans Greene, were recruited by "big boys".  Sorry, i'm just missing the point here..

Lavin has already proven he can recruit with anyone in the country, let's not downplay it.  You've been hanging out with your boy, "Shurina Cheese" again lately?
You're right. You missed my point.

« Reply #1291 on: March 19, 2012, 01:13:16 PM »
From watching videos - it's clear his talent is through the roof. The one thing that bothers me is his jump shot release. The way he holds his hands/form doesn't look fluid. I think he'll have to work on the jumper, just something that stood out from watching the tapes.

Moose

« Reply #1292 on: March 19, 2012, 03:03:36 PM »
From watching videos - it's clear his talent is through the roof. The one thing that bothers me is his jump shot release. The way he holds his hands/form doesn't look fluid. I think he'll have to work on the jumper, just something that stood out from watching the tapes.

One thing I will never get is why form matters.  If it works why does it matter.  ESPN Magazine wrote a great article recently about how more struggling FT shooters should shoot underhand.  However that will never happene because it would ruin street cred.

I've watched Karr a lot over the last two years.  This year there was considerable improvement in his jumper versus his first year at Brewster.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #1293 on: March 19, 2012, 03:23:00 PM »

One thing I will never get is why form matters.  If it works why does it matter.  ESPN Magazine wrote a great article recently about how more struggling FT shooters should shoot underhand.  However that will never happene because it would ruin street cred.

I've watched Karr a lot over the last two years.  This year there was considerable improvement in his jumper versus his first year at Brewster.
Well, I thank J Smith 4 all the fine work he put in on, I mean with JaKarr...

« Reply #1294 on: March 21, 2012, 10:26:30 AM »
“@Amir_Garrett: happy birthday to my bro @KarrSampson14 can't wait till you get here bro #stjbb” thanks bro.. I can't wait either

Marillac

« Reply #1295 on: March 23, 2012, 12:16:02 AM »
This might be the best athlete in colleg basketball next season.

« Reply #1296 on: March 23, 2012, 12:20:07 AM »
“@Amir_Garrett: happy birthday to my bro @KarrSampson14 can't wait till you get here bro #stjbb” thanks bro.. I can't wait either
Well that should end any rumors Amir was gonna just go mlb

« Reply #1297 on: March 23, 2012, 01:38:24 PM »
Well that should end any rumors Amir was gonna just go mlb

If Lavin goes to USC, as appeared highly probable, the I predict Amir will opt to be the Reds opening day pitcher next year.

paultzman

« Reply #1298 on: April 03, 2012, 05:14:56 PM »
Kentucky Derby roster. JaKarr in good company.

“@jdemling: Chicken Knowles and Cameron Biedscheid also added to Derby Classic rosters. http://t.co/pD4rrv8y

paultzman

« Reply #1299 on: April 06, 2012, 04:08:41 PM »
As we wonder what's happening in France, Belgium & wherever the heck Lavs is, enjoy a taste of JaKarr today in the Derby Classic dunk contest. Hops!!!!!!!

“@Hoopmixtape: NEW Video; Marcus Smart Hits The Eastbay Off The Board! @KentuckyDerby Dunk Contest Semis! http://t.co/OIx3w8Gr