Jakarr Sampson - SF - Brewster Academy - Akron, OH - ST. JOHN'S

• 1462 replies

derk

Re: Jakarr Sampson - SF - Brewster Academy - Akron, OH - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #1360 on: August 03, 2012, 12:00:35 PM »
Way to sop up some of That NY culture guys! Nice picture to provoke height debate/concerns for rest of summer!

“@obekpa12: Museum flow wif @KarrSampson14 http://t.co/cA154NtE

Yeah JaKarr's shrinking to 6'7" now

jr49

« Reply #1361 on: August 03, 2012, 07:51:23 PM »
The video was removed Marillac. Just curious what was it?

I trie to type retar'ded but the site makes that word into The Hanogver scene  automatically. The only go-to guy for STJ will be Harrison until he leaves.  Anyone who thinks otherwise doesn't know basketball.
The short slow guy, who can't jump is our only go to guy. I think Harrison got balls, and can be a nice player here, but you sure slamming our bigs, and all future recruits.  If I believe your premise I gotta figure we stink the next 3 years. Is the talk that I read on this site sayin DH maybe goin to the league next year for real? I'm not in love with the NBA, but I do watch some. The guards I see in the league are big, fast, strong, can jump and shoot, and defend. Yea, and they dribble with both hands. You were to emphatic to be serious.

Im not sure if im totally understanding your post JR, but are you not high on Harrison's game? Did you not see what he did last year in the big east as a freshmen? He was in the top three in PPG during conference games? I think thats got "go to" written all over it. I dont care if he can't jump that high. Hes quick and as tough as they come. Not to mention he does dribble well with both hands.
I love him. But if it's gonna be said he's our only go to guy for the time he's here is sayin we ain't got much of a team. What are other coaches gonna do on D if we got one go to guy?

Moose

« Reply #1362 on: August 03, 2012, 07:55:57 PM »

I trie to type retar'ded but the site makes that word into The Hanogver scene  automatically. The only go-to guy for STJ will be Harrison until he leaves.  Anyone who thinks otherwise doesn't know basketball.
The short slow guy, who can't jump is our only go to guy. I think Harrison got balls, and can be a nice player here, but you sure slamming our bigs, and all future recruits.  If I believe your premise I gotta figure we stink the next 3 years. Is the talk that I read on this site sayin DH maybe goin to the league next year for real? I'm not in love with the NBA, but I do watch some. The guards I see in the league are big, fast, strong, can jump and shoot, and defend. Yea, and they dribble with both hands. You were to emphatic to be serious.

Im not sure if im totally understanding your post JR, but are you not high on Harrison's game? Did you not see what he did last year in the big east as a freshmen? He was in the top three in PPG during conference games? I think thats got "go to" written all over it. I dont care if he can't jump that high. Hes quick and as tough as they come. Not to mention he does dribble well with both hands.
I love him. But if it's gonna be said he's our only go to guy for the time he's here is sayin we ain't got much of a team. What are other coaches gonna do on D if we got one go to guy?

We have a team littered with Top 75 talents.  There is more talent on this team than STJ teams of the last 2 decades arguably more.  What are you talking about?
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #1363 on: August 03, 2012, 08:03:59 PM »

If there are more than one "go to guy's" on the team, then doesnt that render the term "go to guy" null?
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

jr49

« Reply #1364 on: August 03, 2012, 08:14:39 PM »

I'm responding to a post that says DH is and will be our only go to guy for his entire stay here. I sure hope not. I have also read that he my be leaving after this year. Kemba stayed 3, JJ 4 I think, and Jerry Mac could not play at that level. DH tough as nails, and can be one of the great Johnnies of all time, and never make the NBA. I hope he has a long prosperous pro career, but is not our only go to guy for the next 3 years.

jr49

« Reply #1365 on: August 03, 2012, 08:18:35 PM »

If there are more than one "go to guy's" on the team, then doesnt that render the term "go to guy" null?
No, it means your easy to defend.

crgreen

« Reply #1366 on: August 04, 2012, 02:41:15 AM »

No, it means your easy to defend.

'82 UNC - the "go to guys" were the teams leading scorers - All Americans James Worthy and Sam Perkins.   Of course, with the NCAA title on the line for one shot, they put the ball in the hands of their 13 ppg freshman, and jump-started a legend.....

desco80

« Reply #1367 on: August 04, 2012, 11:41:49 AM »
This "go-to guy" label is being over analyzed.   I think we can all agree the team needs players other than D'angelo to step up if we're going to realize our potential.   

By the way, following up on the report from someone here on the board recently that Jakarr looks like a work in progress,  Rothstein just wrote an article saying he might be one of the best freshmen in the country....  who to believe?

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/08/03/rothstein-files-this-and-that-around-college-basketball-12/

crgreen

« Reply #1368 on: August 04, 2012, 12:24:55 PM »
This "go-to guy" label is being over analyzed.   I think we can all agree the team needs players other than D'angelo to step up if we're going to realize our potential.   

By the way, following up on the report from someone here on the board recently that Jakarr looks like a work in progress,  Rothstein just wrote an article saying he might be one of the best freshmen in the country....  who to believe?

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/08/03/rothstein-files-this-and-that-around-college-basketball-12/

Really do take exception to the "St. John’s is going to be incredibly young and inexperienced at the beginning of the season" comment.    Just from a "truth in advertising" perspective.   Young, yes, but not really incredibly so.  Inexperienced?  We return 5 players who averaged 27 or more minutes a game last season.   Our returness played 4,665 of the 6,425 minutes that were played last year. I guarantee you there's a truckload of teams with nowhere CLOSE to that.    We've got  a Senior, a Junior, 6 sophmores and 4 freshmen.   We return 70% of our scoring (okay, 68.9%), 58% of our Rebounding, 72% of our assists, 62% of our blocks, 72% of our steals. while adding 7 new scholarship contributors....72% of our assists, and we're ADDING Jamal Branch?   62% of our blocks, and we're ADDING Chris Obekpa and Sanchez?   58% of our rebounding, and we're adding Samson/Obekpa/Sanchez/Jones?  70% of our scoring, and adding....well, everyone?  And hey, the 5 returnees all figure to be a year BETTER.

« Reply #1369 on: August 04, 2012, 12:48:31 PM »

Really do take exception to the "St. John’s is going to be incredibly young and inexperienced at the beginning of the season" comment.    Just from a "truth in advertising" perspective.   Young, yes, but not really incredibly so.  Inexperienced?  We return 5 players who averaged 27 or more minutes a game last season.   Our returness played 4,665 of the 6,425 minutes that were played last year. I guarantee you there's a truckload of teams with nowhere CLOSE to that.    We've got  a Senior, a Junior, 6 sophmores and 4 freshmen.   We return 70% of our scoring (okay, 68.9%), 58% of our Rebounding, 72% of our assists, 62% of our blocks, 72% of our steals. while adding 7 new scholarship contributors....72% of our assists, and we're ADDING Jamal Branch?   62% of our blocks, and we're ADDING Chris Obekpa and Sanchez?   58% of our rebounding, and we're adding Samson/Obekpa/Sanchez/Jones?  70% of our scoring, and adding....well, everyone?  And hey, the 5 returnees all figure to be a year BETTER.

I really like this post, haha  :D

paultzman

« Reply #1370 on: August 04, 2012, 12:51:35 PM »

Alan Greenspan would be proud!

Marillac

« Reply #1371 on: August 06, 2012, 12:38:28 AM »

I don't even understand what you are trying to say with this post.  D'Angelo Harrison is one of the most skilled college players I have ever seen.  His handle is awesome...he shoots incredibly well, can get to the tin, has excellent vision and passing skills, he's deadly from the FT line, and he's as savvy as they come. His offensive game was so much further along than anyone we had last year--Moe included--it wasn't even funny.  When Moe sat, we suffered but we could get some offense.  When Harrison sat, we were immediatey one of the worst offensive teams in the country. 

I think we'll have more options next season...I think we'll get a lot of points in transition where it doesn't really matter who is finishing the basket.  I think Sampson will be a good option, I expect Greene to develop, I think Garrett will really grow as a scorer and a player, and I expect there to be some shooters to spread things out.  However, anyone that thinks D'Angelo Harrison won't be our go-to guy or our leading scorer by a very healthy margin, just doesn't know our team that well.  Harrison is an effing monster. 

Cover a soph Harrison one-on-one and you will get burnt over and over again.  In summary:   Harrison= go-to scorer, but that doesn't mean other guys won't be good scorers.  Capiche?

jr49

« Reply #1372 on: August 06, 2012, 04:30:28 PM »

I don't even understand what you are trying to say with this post.  D'Angelo Harrison is one of the most skilled college players I have ever seen.  His handle is awesome...he shoots incredibly well, can get to the tin, has excellent vision and passing skills, he's deadly from the FT line, and he's as savvy as they come. His offensive game was so much further along than anyone we had last year--Moe included--it wasn't even funny.  When Moe sat, we suffered but we could get some offense.  When Harrison sat, we were immediatey one of the worst offensive teams in the country. 

I think we'll have more options next season...I think we'll get a lot of points in transition where it doesn't really matter who is finishing the basket.  I think Sampson will be a good option, I expect Greene to develop, I think Garrett will really grow as a scorer and a player, and I expect there to be some shooters to spread things out.  However, anyone that thinks D'Angelo Harrison won't be our go-to guy or our leading scorer by a very healthy margin, just doesn't know our team that well.  Harrison is an effing monster. 

Cover a soph Harrison one-on-one and you will get burnt over and over again.  In summary:   Harrison= go-to scorer, but that doesn't mean other guys won't be good scorers.  Capiche?
Mr. M, sorry you don't get my post. You my be more right then me, but although I like Harrisons game and Tude, we don't see the same player. Your describing a first team all-American, and I'm looking forward to all BE mention. Are you thinking Big O, or more Jerry Mac? You thinking we can't get a player better then DH while he is here is why I responded to your post. It's a big mans game, and my hope is Coach Steve can recruit some. My go to is 6-9, shoots in the 50's, rebounds his misses, and gets to the line when he wants. We read Coach and Harrison gonna work him at the point. I hope that works out, and DH loves getting it in to the bigs. Thanks for your patience. 

« Reply #1373 on: August 06, 2012, 04:50:35 PM »

Mr. M, sorry you don't get my post. You my be more right then me, but although I like Harrisons game and Tude, we don't see the same player. Your describing a first team all-American, and I'm looking forward to all BE mention. Are you thinking Big O, or more Jerry Mac? You thinking we can't get a player better then DH while he is here is why I responded to your post. It's a big mans game, and my hope is Coach Steve can recruit some. My go to is 6-9, shoots in the 50's, rebounds his misses, and gets to the line when he wants. We read Coach and Harrison gonna work him at the point. I hope that works out, and DH loves getting it in to the bigs. Thanks for your patience.

Bottom line, D'Angelo will be the leader of this team for his entire career at STJ. Not sure why you think otherwise. Guy is a true scorer and leader of the offense. Who says your go-to guy has to be a big man? D'Angelo will be considered for BE player of the year at some point during his career, you can take that to the bank. He's that good, sorry if you can't see that. Last season he played just about every minute of every game, and this year he will get some well deserved rest, making him even better.

pmg911

« Reply #1374 on: August 10, 2012, 06:59:52 AM »
D'Angelo Harrison is one of the most skilled college players I have ever seen.

You need to watch more college basketball

Foad

« Reply #1375 on: August 10, 2012, 08:02:59 AM »
Really do take exception to the "St. John’s is going to be incredibly young and inexperienced at the beginning of the season" comment.    Just from a "truth in advertising" perspective.   Young, yes, but not really incredibly so.

Interesting to hear you disagree with TGAPL. Usually its all tongue bath all the time. Lavin recently tweeted that SJ was "likely youngest team in the country next season" and in fact talks the teams youth up at every opportunity. If he didn't neither would Rothstein or Andy Katz ("Lavin is convinced with 11 underclassmen he will have one of the youngest teams in the country and in St. John's history") or anyone else. Because that's the story line TGAPL is feeding the media, to diminish expectations for a team that won a dozen games and lost its best player. As was noted elsewhere by an astute poster, one big thing TGAPL learned during his coaching sabatical was the importance of narrative. Perhaps you think Rothstein is out pounding the pavement digging up leads for hard hitting all the president's men exposes . He's not. He's a somewhere between a lapdog and a press agent. Coaches text him stuff and he regurgitates it. Damon Runyon he ain't.

MCNPA

« Reply #1376 on: August 10, 2012, 09:45:25 AM »
Really do take exception to the "St. John’s is going to be incredibly young and inexperienced at the beginning of the season" comment.    Just from a "truth in advertising" perspective.   Young, yes, but not really incredibly so.

Interesting to hear you disagree with TGAPL. Usually its all tongue bath all the time. Lavin recently tweeted that SJ was "likely youngest team in the country next season" and in fact talks the teams youth up at every opportunity. If he didn't neither would Rothstein or Andy Katz ("Lavin is convinced with 11 underclassmen he will have one of the youngest teams in the country and in St. John's history") or anyone else. Because that's the story line TGAPL is feeding the media, to diminish expectations for a team that won a dozen games and lost its best player. As was noted elsewhere by an astute poster, one big thing TGAPL learned during his coaching sabatical was the importance of narrative. Perhaps you think Rothstein is out pounding the pavement digging up leads for hard hitting all the president's men exposes . He's not. He's a somewhere between a lapdog and a press agent. Coaches text him stuff and he regurgitates it. Damon Runyon he ain't.

Fwiw, I think it is good strategy for Lavin to play-up our youth.  It's always better to exceed expectations than to never live up to the loftier ones like at UCLA.  We are young and I think Lavin knows we'll be pretty good as the season moves along.  SJU's story line this seasonis potentially better as the underdog though. 

Oh and Rothstein isn't between lapdog and press agent.  He's between the Scarpariello wings and the ramp gnocchi followed by linguini puttanesca, veal saltimboca and amaretto-fig panna cotta... ;)

« Reply #1377 on: August 11, 2012, 02:35:04 AM »
As we all remember previous coach had us forever young even in his last year with all those juniors and I think some seniors.

crgreen

« Reply #1378 on: August 11, 2012, 04:48:49 AM »
As we all remember previous coach had us forever young even in his last year with all those juniors and I think some seniors.

Yeah, but two of those juniors, Buckets and JB, WERE 1st year players in from JC.    :)

« Reply #1379 on: August 11, 2012, 06:08:21 PM »

Yeah, but two of those juniors, Buckets and JB, WERE 1st year players in from JC.    :)
Guess we were young than! :) ;) ??? ::)