Jakarr Sampson - SF - Brewster Academy - Akron, OH - ST. JOHN'S

• 1462 replies
Re: Jakarr Sampson - SF - Brewster Academy - Akron, OH - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #140 on: December 15, 2010, 06:45:24 PM »
When you've seen literally twenty of the videos it paints a clearer picture.  Tharpe looks for his shot in all the highlights when he has easy passes to wide open men under the basket.  It seems that when Tharpe does pass he drops it off to his right.  Tharpe looks really good, though.  I just wonder if he's a pure point.

Are you wondering, whether he's a pure point guard because you feel he looks for his shot often or missing guys open?  I think Tharpe does a heckuva job knowing where and what to do with the ball when using a screen.  Seems like he's been taught well.

By the way, some "pure point guards" are capable of scoring.

I like how quickly Sampson gets off the floor.  Long, agile kid.

It's a highlight film so almost all the shots go in, but he routinely passes up wide open teammates to take off-balance or contested shots.  It's acceptable as a fifth year high school player, but it's not going to fly at Kansas.

I don't think just because a point guard has the ability to score that he is therefore not a point guard.  You seem to specialize in putting words in my mouth.  ;)  All I'm saying is that there should be an absurd amount of alley-oops to that freak of an athlete in every video.

Maybe, he'll be able to play within the confines of what Kansas want.  Whether, he does or not....  That is now Kansas issue. 

Sometimes, it's not always easy to figure how where someone is going in their description via the internet.  No offense, but you've also been known to romanticize, so maybe I have jumped the gun a time or two with you.  No harm, no foul.  It's all good.

The "freak of an athlete" should get his chance a few times to catch alley-oops and swat shots when he's in Queens a season from now.   ;)

Look at how many looks Amir Garrett gets from Nick Johnson and Kabango.  That's sort of what I'm talking about here.  It's just weird that the guards pass up so many easy assists.  But, hey, if it works for them....

Of course Lavin is bringing in ridiculous talent, but the 1 guy I wanted was Nick Johnson. That kids game is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMpsttlXye8&feature=relateded

Tha Kid

« Reply #141 on: December 16, 2010, 12:41:53 PM »
When you've seen literally twenty of the videos it paints a clearer picture.  Tharpe looks for his shot in all the highlights when he has easy passes to wide open men under the basket.  It seems that when Tharpe does pass he drops it off to his right.  Tharpe looks really good, though.  I just wonder if he's a pure point.

Are you wondering, whether he's a pure point guard because you feel he looks for his shot often or missing guys open?  I think Tharpe does a heckuva job knowing where and what to do with the ball when using a screen.  Seems like he's been taught well.

It's a highlight film so almost all the shots go in, but he routinely passes up wide open teammates to take off-balance or contested shots.  It's acceptable as a fifth year high school player, but it's not going to fly at Kansas.

I don't think just because a point guard has the ability to score that he is therefore not a point guard.  You seem to specialize in putting words in my mouth.  ;)  All I'm saying is that there should be an absurd amount of alley-oops to that freak of an athlete in every video.

Maybe, he'll be able to play within the confines of what Kansas want.  Whether, he does or not....  That is now Kansas issue. 

Sometimes, it's not always easy to figure how where someone is going in their description via the internet.  No offense, but you've also been known to romanticize, so maybe I have jumped the gun a time or two with you.  No harm, no foul.  It's all good.

The "freak of an athlete" should get his chance a few times to catch alley-oops and swat shots when he's in Queens a season from now.   ;)

Marillac romanticize?  Nooo.... ha ha

I think you are both probably somewhat right, but I have to agree with MJ that any amount of highlight reels cannot make up for seeing someone in a full game video.  Everything is taken out of context.
"I drink and I know things"

Marillac

« Reply #142 on: December 17, 2010, 11:13:16 AM »

Marillac romanticize?  Nooo.... ha ha

I think you are both probably somewhat right, but I have to agree with MJ that any amount of highlight reels cannot make up for seeing someone in a full game video.  Everything is taken out of context.
Can't argue with that (or that fact that I am almost always guilty of some hyperbole), but I have seen both full game videos on Tharpe as well as highlights.  I actually saw a full game video of Tharpe losing to our own Malik Stith.

I like Tharpe...he's really grown the last few years, but I don't think he's the most polished floor general.  He can score his arse off, don't get me wrong, but a lot of the shots he takes will be heavily contested at the next level and I'd like to see him do more than just lay the ball off to his right at the last minute...I think Nick Johnson has more of a future at the point even though he's known as a combo, because he shows an ability to create for his teammates more than Tharpe at this point.  Tharpe with a true point guard on the floor together could be a pretty potent tandem.

Marillac-fixed the quote for you-Baldi
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 07:48:38 PM by Marco Baldi »

« Reply #143 on: January 12, 2011, 03:38:58 PM »
Brewster's most recent game (versus New Hampton)....

Brewster Academy Vs. New Hampton 2010-2011

« Reply #144 on: January 12, 2011, 05:15:50 PM »
that tip in was ridiculous and the oop was even better. a couple nice quick moves in the post as well
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #145 on: January 25, 2011, 09:30:16 AM »

gonzalo

« Reply #146 on: January 25, 2011, 10:28:26 AM »
Brewster improved to 17-0 with a road win at MCI, 78-71. JaKarr Sampson had 22 pts, while Eli Carter and Durand Johnson each had 15 pts.

http://twitter.com/BrewsterHoops/status/29738242492342272

« Reply #147 on: January 25, 2011, 11:48:05 AM »
Brewster improved to 17-0 with a road win at MCI, 78-71. JaKarr Sampson had 22 pts, while Eli Carter and Durand Johnson each had 15 pts.

http://twitter.com/BrewsterHoops/status/29738242492342272

Appreciate it, gonzalo!  That is probably Sampson's best output of the season, considering his team is so balanced.

« Reply #148 on: January 28, 2011, 08:57:14 AM »
Highlights from Brewster's game versus MCI (1-24-2011)....

Brewster Academy vs MCI Game 3 2010-2011

« Reply #149 on: January 30, 2011, 11:32:21 PM »
Brewster vs. Bridgton (1/26/2011)....

Brewster Academy vs. Bridgton Academy 2010-2011

« Reply #150 on: January 31, 2011, 01:59:47 PM »
brewster is awesome lets keep that pipeline comming.
The more i see jakarr the more i think he could be similar to brownlee. Looks like his handle is pretty good and his athleticism is obviously hard to miss
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #152 on: February 21, 2011, 11:38:32 PM »
St. John’s commitment Jakarr Sampson was named the tournament's Most Valuable Player, adding 20 points in the semifinal to carry his team into the finals.

“It is tough to beat a team three times in a year,” said Sampson. “Hopefully we build off these two wins and keep the momentum going into the playoffs.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/high-school/post?id=4990

« Reply #153 on: February 21, 2011, 11:39:49 PM »
Brewster vs. Lee Academy....

Brewster Acedemy Vs. Lee Academy 2010-2011

« Reply #155 on: February 28, 2011, 01:40:26 AM »
Man we are getting some serious athletes next year
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #156 on: February 28, 2011, 01:30:40 PM »
He sure does dunk a lot...How's his J?

« Reply #157 on: March 02, 2011, 10:03:41 AM »

« Reply #158 on: March 06, 2011, 02:55:46 PM »

Marillac

« Reply #159 on: March 06, 2011, 05:36:22 PM »
He is playing with and against such a high level of competition...it's honestly much better than what Nuri is facing in COLLEGE.  He seems to be getting better every month and getting involved with a higher % of his team's offense.  He gets his stuff in the flow of the game and doesn't need to be the guy that demands the ball.  He is just what this recruiting class needs and he's already playing with a ton of talent and with guards that dominate the ball.  Our starting PF in 2011-2012, ladies and gentleman.