Jakarr Sampson - SF - Brewster Academy - Akron, OH - ST. JOHN'S

• 1462 replies

crgreen

Re: Jakarr Sampson - SF - Brewster Academy - Akron, OH
« Reply #620 on: February 07, 2012, 09:13:33 AM »
Yeah, and Seton Hall reportedly was in the lead for Kyle Anderson according to various Seton Hall news sources.

FYI, per Kyle in a UCLA interview, that report was correct.  It was Seton Hall, till he changed his mind during that last weekend family discussion before the announcement.  SJU was #3, but all but SH and UCLA had been eliminated heading into the final 3 days.

« Reply #621 on: February 07, 2012, 11:09:41 AM »
Yeah, and Seton Hall reportedly was in the lead for Kyle Anderson according to various Seton Hall news sources.

FYI, per Kyle in a UCLA interview, that report was correct.  It was Seton Hall, till he changed his mind during that last weekend family discussion before the announcement.  SJU was #3, but all but SH and UCLA had been eliminated heading into the final 3 days.

He would have went to Seton Hall if not for UCLA. St. John's was in the drivers seat early.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

DFF6

« Reply #622 on: February 07, 2012, 11:19:47 AM »

He would have went to Seton Hall if not for UCLA. St. John's was in the drivers seat early.

Understood, but notwithstanding Kyle clearing the record after the fact re: Seton Hall, he still picked UCLA, hence making the Seton Hall sources reporting on the matter as valuable as that infamous Chicago Daily Tribune headine declaring that "Dewey defeats Truman".   

desco80

« Reply #623 on: February 07, 2012, 12:46:27 PM »
Jakarr, put your SJU hat back on and join your buddies, you wont regret it. Nice picture.

I think it becomes more obvious he's holding out for coaches return

I REALLY thought that's what Gathers was waiting on too, though.   Gathers even said at one point he had second thoughts because of coach's health.  Could have been BS, but I thought Rico was definitely coming back once coach showed him he would still be around for years to come.

Hope Jakarr isn't waiting for a Kansas offer.  They have so many forwards, that would be such a perplexing decision.

« Reply #624 on: February 07, 2012, 02:47:34 PM »
JaKarr is a very important recruit now.

paultzman

« Reply #625 on: February 07, 2012, 03:42:39 PM »

Nah! LOL

dR3w

« Reply #626 on: February 07, 2012, 04:03:19 PM »

Kinda scary, .... and nobody seems very confident about him going to StJ.

SJUFAN

« Reply #627 on: February 07, 2012, 05:01:37 PM »
Jakarr, put your SJU hat back on and join your buddies, you wont regret it. Nice picture.

I think it becomes more obvious he's holding out for coaches return

I REALLY thought that's what Gathers was waiting on too, though.   Gathers even said at one point he had second thoughts because of coach's health.  Could have been BS, but I thought Rico was definitely coming back once coach showed him he would still be around for years to come.

Hope Jakarr isn't waiting for a Kansas offer.  They have so many forwards, that would be such a perplexing decision.

With Gathers off the board I think it only makes our program that more attractive to Jakarr. Plenty of minutes, Big East Conference, NYC, MSG, Great Staff.....all hinges on Lavin's health status though. I think Lavin comes back for the Big East Tourney.

« Reply #628 on: February 07, 2012, 05:50:18 PM »

Kinda scary, .... and nobody seems very confident about him going to StJ.

i think someone said it before, but it seems like Jackarr's future is out of his control.  similar to Gathers, i think JS wants to come, but other forces are going to guide him elsewhere.   Hope i'm wrong.

« Reply #629 on: February 07, 2012, 06:16:12 PM »
I've always been of the mindset that Lavin should take his time and come back when he's ready, but if we lose out on Jakarr too, I think he needs to get on the sidelines ASAP.

DFF6

« Reply #630 on: February 07, 2012, 07:42:55 PM »
I've always been of the mindset that Lavin should take his time and come back when he's ready, but if we lose out on Jakarr too, I think he needs to get on the sidelines ASAP.

I totally emphasize with your anxiety kingofk1ngs, but if our recruiting takes a hit this year in order for Lavin to make a full recovery from his cancer surgery, then IMHO, so be it.  After all, we are fans of a CATHOLIC university's BB program.   Need to put the health of our coach ahead of our desire to be super competitive on the recruiting trail.  ;) 

boo3

« Reply #631 on: February 07, 2012, 07:51:24 PM »
It would be great if lav lands Sampson, however, it is not the end of the world if it doesn't happen. Everyone needs to relax.

The foundation is here. We have two players in Harkless and Harrison, a guard and forward, who will likely be pre-season 1st and second team all big east players coming into their soph years.  Gift will have a full year of experience and growth under this staff.  Amir and Pointer can only get better.

We obviously need a big. Lavin will get someone to fill the need whether its Sampson, Obekpa, or some other player we never heard of. 

Contrary to popular belief, the world won't come to an end if Jakarr doesn't come. Personally, I don't think he will ( I know nothing, just a feeling) come.  So i won't be disappointed when he declares elsewhere.

Marillac

« Reply #632 on: February 07, 2012, 08:16:44 PM »
Sampson wasn't coming here if Gathers came.  Like I've said all along, Sampson is the recruit that completes Lavin's blue print.  He's by far the most valuable of our targets.   Mo was never supposed to be alone up font like that.  Two 6'8 jumping jacks would make all the difference with Garrett and Pointer at SF.  When Lavin put this class together, Sampson was the best athlete of the group.  Let's get him on board for our tournament run.

As is, I think we are a tournament team, but we all know that we won't be the same team next year.  Why? Steve Lavin is filling the voids for us, and there are few better.  The JUCO ranks are LOADED with PF's, shooters, and scoring combo gaurds.  The second leading scorer for Baylor is a first year JUCO, Pierre Jackson...who happens to be shooting 47% from three and dishing out nearly 6 assists per contest.

Moose

« Reply #633 on: February 07, 2012, 08:48:16 PM »
Sampson wasn't coming here if Gathers came.  Like I've said all along, Sampson is the recruit that completes Lavin's blue print.  He's by far the most valuable of our targets.   Mo was never supposed to be alone up font like that.  Two 6'8 jumping jacks would make all the difference with Garrett and Pointer at SF.  When Lavin put this class together, Sampson was the best athlete of the group.  Let's get him on board for our tournament run.

As is, I think we are a tournament team, but we all know that we won't be the same team next year.  Why? Steve Lavin is filling the voids for us, and there are few better.  The JUCO ranks are LOADED with PF's, shooters, and scoring combo gaurds.  The second leading scorer for Baylor is a first year JUCO, Pierre Jackson...who happens to be shooting 47% from three and dishing out nearly 6 assists per contest.

Since JucoJuction looks like barren Waco, Texas who are some good JUCO's out there?
Remember who broke the Slice news

Marillac

« Reply #634 on: February 07, 2012, 09:15:27 PM »

Since JucoJuction looks like barren Waco, Texas who are some good JUCO's out there?

My first reply just got timed out...so here is the summary:

There are two local gunners I'd take a shot at.  A 6'5 SG from Globe and my favorite is a 5'11 three-point assassin that plays with Orlando Sanchez at Monroe CC, Devon Marshall.  Marshall plays a staright up two guard, but that is because Monroe has a nice little point guard--headed somehwere small like Norfolk St.  I actually would have lilked him as well, he's a PURE point.  Marshall has Hatten-like athleticism.  When I inquired about he a few months back, he was still avaliable.

There is also a 6'10 Aussie, Chris Patton.  I spoke with a local region 15 coach who saw him play when he was at College of Southern Idaho last year.  He transferred to some small JUCO d-1 school I've never heard of, but is averaging 15 and 10.6.  He's a stud physically and athletically.  He's a rugby guy, and would be right at home throwing bows in the Big East.  He's a bit raw, but we need that size. 

« Reply #635 on: February 08, 2012, 10:03:32 AM »

If this team comes back totally intact they will still be the smallest team with the least depth in the conference. With the possible exodus of some of the better programs, I think we would sneak into the tourney but barely. If history has taught us anything it is more likely we will lose someone. Happens every year even / especially under Lavin. If we lose anyone from Harrison / Harkless /GG/ Branch / Greene w/o adequate reinforcement we will have the same record as this season. I do not get involved in recruiting and there is no doubting Lavin's prowess in that department under normal circumstances. However a PERFECT STORM of Lavin's absence, BE disarray, losing record, previous year's ineligibles and decommitments has made it a highly abnormal circumstance. Hopefully Lavin has a plan B or C in case he can't land all the names we keep hearing about. Even if everyone comes back team still needs a couple of serviceable bigs that will play!   
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 10:04:02 AM by we are sju »

Poison

« Reply #636 on: February 08, 2012, 10:18:17 AM »
More than anything, we need interior defense. Interior offense is right behind.

MCNPA

« Reply #637 on: February 08, 2012, 10:26:24 AM »

Agree Marillac.  I thing Gathers heading to Baylor can only help us with Jakarr.  Jakarr is taller and more athletic than Gathers and is also an excellent rebounder.  He's not nearly as strong now, but his ceiling is higher IMO.  Let's just hope we land him.  He really does fit our mold perfectly. 

« Reply #638 on: February 08, 2012, 10:54:49 AM »
wayyy higher. from what I've seen, Jakaar has all the tools to be a SERIOUS pro if it all works out

« Reply #639 on: February 08, 2012, 11:24:16 AM »
 :(suddenly a negative becomes a positive....lost polee+kyle+gaithers+pelle+lindsey etc this program seems to be a bigger mess then ever again...