Jakarr Sampson - SF - Brewster Academy - Akron, OH - ST. JOHN'S

• 1462 replies
Re: Jakarr Sampson - SF - Brewster Academy - Akron, OH
« Reply #780 on: February 21, 2012, 10:10:43 AM »
I believe that by NCAA rules, there are only so many times a coach and/or his staff is allowed to see a recruit play in a given season/evaluation period.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

Moose

« Reply #781 on: February 21, 2012, 10:36:26 AM »
I believe that by NCAA rules, there are only so many times a coach and/or his staff is allowed to see a recruit play in a given season/evaluation period.

Not sure about that.
How could you monitor that?
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #782 on: February 21, 2012, 11:01:04 AM »

Not sure about that.
How could you monitor that?

That's easier to monitor than phone calls and pool parties at the coach's house.

pmg911

« Reply #783 on: February 21, 2012, 12:56:52 PM »
Marillac - when was Lavin recruiting McGarry, I had never heard we were remotely involved with him before.

Guys - the Brewster coach is one of the bigger dbags going, the guy is out for himself at all times. He is just a bad guy and only care about how the kids can help him, not how he can help the kids.

paultzman

« Reply #784 on: February 21, 2012, 01:43:51 PM »
Nice article on Sampson referenced in tweet. Big game against big competition.

“@UnionLeader: Brewster tips Tilton in star-studded, top-ranked prep school hoop affair: Brewster Academy head coach Jason Smit... http://t.co/Mh0ZUNv9

Marillac

« Reply #785 on: February 21, 2012, 03:20:53 PM »
Marillac - when was Lavin recruiting McGarry, I had never heard we were remotely involved with him before.

Guys - the Brewster coach is one of the bigger dbags going, the guy is out for himself at all times. He is just a bad guy and only care about how the kids can help him, not how he can help the kids.

Lav showed interest last year but McGarry wasn't interested...not because of a lack of Lavin's effort though.  Lav recruits the NEPSAC hard from NY. 

« Reply #786 on: February 21, 2012, 08:34:24 PM »
McGarry was never a target
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Marillac

« Reply #787 on: February 22, 2012, 12:24:21 AM »
So Lavin. Ever asked about a top ten athletic big man that was roommates and good friends with one of his commitments?  C'mon!!!!  I guess Sampson's tweets about getting McGarry to Campis were jokes too? 

« Reply #788 on: February 22, 2012, 12:32:49 AM »
So Lavin. Ever asked about a top ten athletic big man that was roommates and good friends with one of his commitments?  C'mon!!!!  I guess Sampson's tweets about getting McGarry to Campis were jokes too? 

So in your eyes if a coach ever asks, "who's that?" he's a target?

One thing about Lav is he doesn't waste time. He knows who's realistic to land and goes after those guys. He's missed a few this year but still had legit shots at getting them all. If he doesn't think there is a shot then he doesn't go after them.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Marillac

« Reply #789 on: February 22, 2012, 02:42:09 AM »

So in your eyes if a coach ever asks, "who's that?" he's a target?

One thing about Lav is he doesn't waste time. He knows who's realistic to land and goes after those guys. He's missed a few this year but still had legit shots at getting them all. If he doesn't think there is a shot then he doesn't go after them.

I don't dispute that McGarry was never a prime target of Lavin's, but that was clearly the product of McGarry's lack of interest.  Lavin doesn't waste time, like you noted.  My point in response to the posed question of whether Smith's tweet was a jab to Lavin was to show that Lav expressed interest in three of Smith's guys, and nobody has recruited Sampson harder for two years.  It would be very unlikely that Smith would be taking a jab at Lav. 

« Reply #790 on: February 22, 2012, 08:25:08 AM »
It should be noted that Lavin was recruiting Sampson, if my memory is correct, even before he went to Brewster.  That may be the only reason his coach wasn't able to steer him away from us.

Moose

« Reply #791 on: February 22, 2012, 08:32:15 AM »
It should be noted that Lavin was recruiting Sampson, if my memory is correct, even before he went to Brewster.  That may be the only reason his coach wasn't able to steer him away from us.

There is no question the Ohio contingent in Sampson's corner loves STJ.  The problem lies with the little brat up in Brewster
Remember who broke the Slice news

sju89tr

« Reply #792 on: February 22, 2012, 10:55:25 AM »
I am really not sure why Brewster shows us no love, if what I heard is correct we helped Jakarr get to Brewster. I just think Smith is not getting what he wants from us one way or the other. I do feel however when all is said and done and Jakarr visits his schools, he will come back into the fold for us. 

Marillac

« Reply #793 on: February 22, 2012, 12:18:56 PM »
I am really not sure why Brewster shows us no love, if what I heard is correct we helped Jakarr get to Brewster. I just think Smith is not getting what he wants from us one way or the other. I do feel however when all is said and done and Jakarr visits his schools, he will come back into the fold for us. 

The Smith nonsense was created by this board.  It is fictional.  Smith isn't trying to steer Sampson away from St. John's.

« Reply #794 on: February 22, 2012, 12:26:24 PM »

The Smith nonsense was created by this board.  It is fictional.  Smith isn't trying to steer Sampson away from St. John's.
I for one, never have said steer away.  I commented that I felt he would try to steer JS to take the place of T Robinson.  And being that two had already gone to KU, they would be stiff competition. That being said, I maintain that SJ's is the best fit for him, and "his guys" are waiting for him too.

Happy

« Reply #795 on: February 22, 2012, 12:32:19 PM »

I'm not saying it is, but how do you know if that is true or not?

pmg911

« Reply #796 on: February 22, 2012, 12:37:25 PM »
Marillac - the stuff with Smith was not created here. Lavin was on Sampson when he was at St. Mary's and things changed when he landed at Brewster.

From what I have been told a lot of it has to do with Coach Smith thinking he was defintely going to have Jakkar for two years because a lot of people knew Jakkar had academic issues to deal with and that people didn't think he would get his grades in order for eligibilty. After Jakkar originally verballed to SJU, Coach Smith was not exactly pleased that Jakkar planned to leave Brewster after one year and made his unhappiness very clear to all involved.

The RISE debacle happened over the summer, Jakkar went back to Brewster and here we are....

**edited - I had schools confused and was thinking of Bridgton & SJU, not Brewster**
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 12:43:55 PM by pmg911 »

kjd01067

« Reply #797 on: February 22, 2012, 01:16:45 PM »
Marillac you just make shit up.  You have no idea (and neither do I but difference is I don't claim to).  Dave proved you wrong in the other thread and you continue to post stuff like you are in the know when everyone who has been around here for awhile knows you have absolutely no first hand knowledge.  I like you as a poster but stop pretending like you are some insider, scout, and all the other things you have pretended to be over the years.  You're a great fan but that is it.

Tha Kid

« Reply #798 on: February 22, 2012, 01:47:29 PM »
KJD, I think you are wrong.  Marillac might actually be a poor man's version of Forrest Gump.  He's an expert on tax liens, he owned a horse farm, he hooked up with Taurasi, he is now in law school, he was an assistant bball coach for a juco or d2...and I believe that's just the tip of the iceberg.  I'd be all for a Marillac mini autobiography post.  If authored by Marillac OR we are sju.  Actually, on second thought, only if authored by we are sju.  It'd just be that much better.
"I drink and I know things"

pmg911

« Reply #799 on: February 22, 2012, 02:09:42 PM »
Kid - you forget expert on Orange County High School football, stock investing, baseball player development and his newest category - population studies and its effect on the average size of Americans