Jakarr Sampson - SF - Brewster Academy - Akron, OH - ST. JOHN'S

• 1462 replies

MCNPA

Re: Jakarr Sampson - SF - Brewster Academy - Akron, OH
« Reply #820 on: February 23, 2012, 09:07:14 PM »
We really need Jakarr here.  I really hope we land him.  He's a perfect fit at PF next to Moe.  Amazing athlete with fantastic upside.  We could play "small" at times with Jakarr, Harkless and Garrett up front and we'd be really tough to handle.  He's perfect for Lavin's system and I think we'll land him when all is said and done.  Lavin has recruited him forever and never given up on him.  Hope Jason Smith doesn't monkeywrench this thing.  Jakarr will improve sooo much under our staff and IMO will be another pro.

« Reply #821 on: February 23, 2012, 11:31:47 PM »
We really need Jakarr here.  I really hope we land him.  He's a perfect fit at PF next to Moe.  Amazing athlete with fantastic upside.  We could play "small" at times with Jakarr, Harkless and Garrett up front and we'd be really tough to handle.  He's perfect for Lavin's system and I think we'll land him when all is said and done.  Lavin has recruited him forever and never given up on him.  Hope Jason Smith doesn't monkeywrench this thing.  Jakarr will improve sooo much under our staff and IMO will be another pro.

He needs to realize the success Lavin has had with players similar to him such as Ariza, Matt Barnes & now Harkless. We'll also be a top big east team with him and a little help/development. The 2 best freshman in the Big East are on this team. Not saying Kansas or the others cant do the same, because some can, but with hard work he can reach his goal. The first decision you make is usually the right one, meaning STJ should be his home. He was 100% on board last year, why change your mind now? Bottom line we need him

MCNPA

« Reply #822 on: February 24, 2012, 12:09:33 AM »

He needs to realize the success Lavin has had with players similar to him such as Ariza, Matt Barnes & now Harkless. We'll also be a top big east team with him and a little help/development. The 2 best freshman in the Big East are on this team. Not saying Kansas or the others cant do the same, because some can, but with hard work he can reach his goal. The first decision you make is usually the right one, meaning STJ should be his home. He was 100% on board last year, why change your mind now? Bottom line we need him

Not only that, but Harkless and Harrison are two of the best freshmen in the country.  It's a testament to the talent that Lavin as put together as well as an example of what good players can do here.  Jakarr has carte Blanche on the PF spot.  I'd be surprised if he didn't choose SJU.  If he doesn't, there's something else going on.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 12:10:00 AM by MCNPA »

« Reply #823 on: February 24, 2012, 11:47:23 AM »

Not only that, but Harkless and Harrison are two of the best freshmen in the country.  It's a testament to the talent that Lavin as put together as well as an example of what good players can do here.  Jakarr has carte Blanche on the PF spot.  I'd be surprised if he didn't choose SJU.  If he doesn't, there's something else going on.

It's a perfect fit but I cant say i'm optimistic that he will be back. I just dont like the vibes were getting but I trust our staff

« Reply #824 on: February 24, 2012, 12:33:53 PM »

It's a perfect fit but I cant say i'm optimistic that he will be back. I just dont like the vibes were getting but I trust our staff
One thing I will hang my hat on is that Coach has some of the best instincts on whether to keep pursuing a recruit or not.  If Lavs and the staff are pushing this hard at this point, we're talking two years of pursuit. 

Cooley has to push because he knows he cannot coach, so w/o the horses he's finished.  Self - his staff's judgement isn't as good as SJ's.  He was surprised Kaleb Tarczewski chose Zona.  But I still say at the end of the day, JS is gonna push KU cuz of Thomas Robinson.  In actuality, w/ Robinson gone next year and the light recruiting haul for Self, SJ's is positioned to have a better squad w/ JaKarr on board - yeah, I said it.  Self is a great coach and will coach up what he has, but they're not close to top 15 next season.  Get JaKarr and Obekpa, and I predict SJ's will be ranked higher than KU for 2013-2014.

SJ's is THE place for JaKarr to go - he needs to begin, and then finish, what he was about to start with his guys.

Happy

« Reply #825 on: February 24, 2012, 12:38:15 PM »

One thing I will hang my hat on is that Coach has some of the best instincts on whether to keep pursuing a recruit or not.  If Lavs and the staff are pushing this hard at this point, we're talking two years of pursuit. 

Cooley has to push because he knows he cannot coach, so w/o the horses he's finished.  Self - his staff's judgement isn't as good as SJ's.  He was surprised Kaleb Tarczewski chose Zona.  But I still say at the end of the day, JS is gonna push KU cuz of Thomas Robinson.  In actuality, w/ Robinson gone next year and the light recruiting haul for Self, SJ's is positioned to have a better squad w/ JaKarr on board - yeah, I said it.  Self is a great coach and will coach up what he has, but they're not close to top 15 next season.  Get JaKarr and Obekpa, and I predict SJ's will be ranked higher than KU for 2013-2014.

SJ's is THE place for JaKarr to go - he needs to begin, and then finish, what he was about to start with his guys.

That is the first time i ever heard anyone call Bill Self a " great coach"

« Reply #826 on: February 24, 2012, 12:42:53 PM »

You dont think he is?
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

sju89tr

« Reply #827 on: February 24, 2012, 01:02:01 PM »

You dont think he is?

It's hard to say he isn't a great coach, Success makes you a GREAT coach

« Reply #828 on: February 24, 2012, 01:40:18 PM »
Great coach
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

LJSA

« Reply #829 on: February 24, 2012, 01:42:35 PM »
He gets great results because he is a world-class recruiter and closer, but a lot of people think he's a bit lacking in the X's and O's department. He might not have a championship if he didn't play another world-class recruiter who is even weaker in the coaching aspect of the game.

I think Self is a better tactician than both Barnes and Drew, though.

« Reply #830 on: February 24, 2012, 02:15:37 PM »
You dont win a national championship without being a good coach

« Reply #831 on: February 24, 2012, 02:24:16 PM »
From the Kansas Rivals.com site on his pending visit this weekend:

JaKarr Sampson, the 6-foot-8. 220-pound power forward from Brewster Academy in Wolfeboro, N.H., is no stranger to the recruiting process. A year ago, Sampson, a four-star prospect, was set to play for Steve Lavin at St. John's, but once he wasn't cleared academically by the NCAA, Sampson decided to return to Brewster Academy.

"Yea, I'm taking an official visit to Kansas this weekend," Sampson told Jayhawk Slant. "The visit is still on and I'm real excited about seeing what Kansas is all about. Really, I just want to see how crazy the fans are at Kansas. I've heard all about the fans and I can't wait to see what the atmosphere is like on Saturday.

"It's going to be a fun game," he added. "It (Kansas vs. Missouri) will be a big game to go to. I talked to the coaching staff yesterday (Tuesday), and they just wanted to make sure my flights and stuff was setup. The staff just wanted to make sure everything was good."

While his interest in Kansas is high, Sampson doesn't anticipate making a final decision regarding his future following his weekend visit. On Wednesday afternoon, he told Jayhawk Slant that visits to Providence and Florida will take place, but nothing has been scheduled at this time.

http://kansas.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1335054

Happy

« Reply #832 on: February 24, 2012, 03:12:28 PM »

You dont think he is?

I think he is a good coach and a very good recruiter. Didn't mean for my initial post to sound like I thought he was a terrible coach.. Great should be reserved for the best  izzo, k. Etc..  Over the years Self has been knocked for his x's and o's more time then I can remember.

dR3w

« Reply #833 on: February 24, 2012, 03:20:21 PM »

JaKarr Sampson, the 6-foot-8. 220-pound power forward from Brewster Academy in Wolfeboro, N.H., is no stranger to the recruiting process. A year ago, Sampson, a four-star prospect, was set to play for Steve Lavin at St. John's, but once he wasn't cleared academically by the NCAA, Sampson decided to return to Brewster Academy.

"Yea, I'm taking an official visit to Kansas this weekend," Sampson told Jayhawk Slant. "The visit is still on and I'm real excited about seeing what Kansas is all about. Really, I just want to see how crazy the fans are at Kansas. I've heard all about the fans and I can't wait to see what the atmosphere is like on Saturday.

"It's going to be a fun game," he added. "It (Kansas vs. Missouri) will be a big game to go to. I talked to the coaching staff yesterday (Tuesday), and they just wanted to make sure my flights and stuff was setup. The staff just wanted to make sure everything was good."

While his interest in Kansas is high, Sampson doesn't anticipate making a final decision regarding his future following his weekend visit. On Wednesday afternoon, he told Jayhawk Slant that visits to Providence and Florida will take place, but nothing has been scheduled at this time.

Lets hope he doesn't base his decision on fans of the program he wants to attend ... StJ would be in trouble.

DFF6

« Reply #834 on: February 24, 2012, 03:38:41 PM »

Lets hope he doesn't base his decision on fans of the program he wants to attend ... StJ would be in trouble.

I normally don't take the negative side of these arguments, but I think our ship with Jakarr has already sailed.   Metaphorically speaking, if SJU and Jakarr were in a relationship, Jakarr told us several months ago, "let's start seeing other people", and unfortunately, he has been.  He has shown us very little love in his second tour of being recruited, while lavishing praise on the other schools competing for his attention.  If he recommits with us at this point, I'll be shocked.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 03:40:11 PM by DFF6 »

« Reply #835 on: February 24, 2012, 03:54:32 PM »
And why not an official visit here to reconnect with the other players he was recruited with last year, doesn't sound good to me.

MCNPA

« Reply #836 on: February 24, 2012, 04:12:10 PM »

I normally don't take the negative side of these arguments, but I think our ship with Jakarr has already sailed.   Metaphorically speaking, if SJU and Jakarr were in a relationship, Jakarr told us several months ago, "let's start seeing other people", and unfortunately, he has been.  He has shown us very little love in his second tour of being recruited, while lavishing praise on the other schools competing for his attention.  If he recommits with us at this point, I'll be shocked.

You're taking this a bit further than is the case.  There is no metaphorical relationship here.  He has an issue with his coach where he has to see other people.  I think he might still end up here.  It's not quite as simplistic as many here are making it. 

« Reply #837 on: February 24, 2012, 04:48:19 PM »
If he goes to KU and their rich tradition, how can you argue with his decision.

But if he chooses Providence, Rhode Island and an arena called the Dunkin Donuts Center over the bright lights of NYC, MSG and St. John's than he is crazy.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 04:49:19 PM by Billthetruth »

Moose

« Reply #838 on: February 24, 2012, 04:50:37 PM »
And why not an official visit here to reconnect with the other players he was recruited with last year, doesn't sound good to me.

Jakarr didn't use any official visits last year.  So why not use all 5 now.  He knows STJ campus.  He was there enough.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #839 on: February 24, 2012, 05:11:54 PM »

You dont think he is?

I think he is a good coach and a very good recruiter. Didn't mean for my initial post to sound like I thought he was a terrible coach.. Great should be reserved for the best  izzo, k. Etc..  Over the years Self has been knocked for his x's and o's more time then I can remember.

He is a great developed of talent. Especially of big men. Robinson and the big white guy this year are prime examples, as are the Morris twins. Nobody thought they would be that good.

Hes a great recruiter as well. Id have him in my top five coaches of the game today.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.