Jakarr Sampson - SF - Brewster Academy - Akron, OH - ST. JOHN'S

• 1462 replies

DFF6

Re: Jakarr Sampson - SF - Brewster Academy - Akron, OH
« Reply #840 on: February 24, 2012, 05:24:28 PM »
And why not an official visit here to reconnect with the other players he was recruited with last year, doesn't sound good to me.

Jakarr didn't use any official visits last year.  So why not use all 5 now.  He knows STJ campus.  He was there enough.

I want to be on the side of the angels for this thread, but Jakarr obviously didn't use all 5 of his visits last year because he knew what he wanted...US.  Now, I get the impression that he's put us in the rearview mirror and feels the need to explore other options.  Again, I want to be wrong and I get the issue with his coach pushing him away from us, but I can't remember seeing a quote from Jakarr in the last few months where he spoke highly of SJU (or even mentioned us at all).  If he comes, it will be AWESOME and I will worship at the alter of Lavin more fervently than ever, but I'm just not feeling this one.

« Reply #841 on: February 24, 2012, 05:26:57 PM »
And why not an official visit here to reconnect with the other players he was recruited with last year, doesn't sound good to me.

Jakarr didn't use any official visits last year.  So why not use all 5 now.  He knows STJ campus.  He was there enough.

I want to be on the side of the angels for this thread, but Jakarr obviously didn't use all 5 of his visits last year because he knew what he wanted...US.  Now, I get the impression that he's put us in the rearview mirror and feels the need to explore other options.  Again, I want to be wrong and I get the issue with his coach pushing him away from us, but I can't remember seeing a quote from Jakarr in the last few months where he spoke highly of SJU (or even mentioned us at all).  If he comes, it will be AWESOME and I will worship at the alter of Lavin more fervently than ever, but I'm just not feeling this one.

Yup, much like the recruitment of Kyle Anderson, at one point I was confident he had his sights on us. Now, the lack of news regarding our recruiting of him and him visiting other schools is very telling. I too would like to be wrong, but my gut tells me he wants Kansas.

Moose

« Reply #842 on: February 24, 2012, 05:43:16 PM »

Use the visits or lose them.  5 free trips.  Kyle visited Florida last and everyone was all worried remember?

Also you haven't heard quotes because there is a little brat calling his shots when it comes to quotes.  Brewster's season can't end soon enough IMO.
Remember who broke the Slice news

paultzman

« Reply #843 on: February 24, 2012, 05:45:40 PM »
Guarded prognosis on Sampson, but still wonder why Lavin has been very public and confident about a solid class. Is he factoring in a surprise transfer who has completed academic requirements for immediate eligibility or a European? Just thinking!

paultzman

« Reply #844 on: February 24, 2012, 05:47:15 PM »

Respect your opinion Moose, what is your sense of him coming?

Use the visits or lose them.  5 free trips.  Kyle visited Florida last and everyone was all worried remember?

Also you haven't heard quotes because there is a little brat calling his shots when it comes to quotes.  Brewster's season can't end soon enough IMO.

Moose

« Reply #845 on: February 24, 2012, 05:48:23 PM »
Guarded prognosis on Sampson, but still wonder why Lavin has been very public and confident about a solid class. Is he factoring in a surprise transfer who has completed academic requirements for immediate eligibility or a European? Just thinking!

If he has a trick up his sleeve I'd hedge to bet its a decommitt.

paultzman

« Reply #846 on: February 24, 2012, 05:48:55 PM »
Respect your opinion Moose. You see us firmly in the Sampson recruitment?

Moose

« Reply #847 on: February 24, 2012, 05:53:43 PM »

Yes we are.

paultzman

« Reply #848 on: February 24, 2012, 06:01:34 PM »

Yes we are.
Thanks, feeling fairly confident as well

DFF6

« Reply #849 on: February 24, 2012, 06:08:05 PM »

Yes we are.

Alright Moose.  If you say so, I too will say the glass is half full for Sampson. You're clearly more in tune with the process than me. 

Moose

« Reply #850 on: February 24, 2012, 07:34:44 PM »

Yes we are.

Alright Moose.  If you say so, I too will say the glass is half full for Sampson. You're clearly more in tune with the process than me. 

We were in it with Kyle until the last week or so too.  We were with Ricardo too but that took a very quick turn.  Things happen.  These are 18 yr old kids.  Many with handlers and too many people in their ear.  But right now there is a great deal of confidence with Jakarr.  This staff has been right more than its been wrong in those 'confident, feeling good' situations.  Still have to give them benefit of the doubt.

« Reply #851 on: February 24, 2012, 07:35:28 PM »

I may be wrong but I think Jakarr was at St. Johns for a week or so while he was waiting for the NCAA to clear him. It's not the no visits set up to St. John's that worry me but its him visiting all these other schools that do

Moose

« Reply #852 on: February 24, 2012, 07:37:29 PM »

I may be wrong but I think Jakarr was at St. Johns for a week or so while he was waiting for the NCAA to clear him. It's not the no visits set up to St. John's that worry me but its him visiting all these other schools that do

Even longer I think.

boo3

« Reply #853 on: February 24, 2012, 07:54:20 PM »
 I'm usually a pretty positive poster, but I think this ship has sailed. I give it 20%, max. He would be here already if he truly wanted to. Honestly, who cares what your coach wants? Screw that guy.

Of course i have no real info.

I hope that i am wrong and will gladly post an "i'm an idiot" post if proven wrong.

Moose

« Reply #854 on: February 24, 2012, 08:00:36 PM »
I'm usually a pretty positive poster, but I think this ship has sailed. I give it 20%, max. He would be here already if he truly wanted to. Honestly, who cares what your coach wants? Screw that guy.

I hope that i am wrong and will gladly post an "i'm an idiot" post if proven wrong.

Because your coach can sit you.  And Brewster has TONS of talent so it wouldn't have serious damage.  Also I think someone mentioned he's a dean at the school or something. 

boo3

« Reply #855 on: February 24, 2012, 08:13:32 PM »

Because your coach can sit you.  And Brewster has TONS of talent so it wouldn't have serious damage.  Also I think someone mentioned he's a dean at the school or something.

Let me try and understand this.

Sampson has a great season last year at a school that is not Brewster.   He is highly ranked and commits to Lavin and St. John's.
Sampson does not qualify and then the Rise fiasco.
Sampson goes to Brewster and plays for this clown.
Sampson willingly plays for a coach who theoretically threatens his playing time and makes him open up his recruitment and drop St. Johns and Lavin.  If he doesn't, he will sit and coach dope will bad mouth him?

What does Coach Dope have against St. John's and what does he get in return for a Kansas commit?  I'm sure this has been covered so i apologize for the repetition.

Moose

« Reply #856 on: February 24, 2012, 08:17:12 PM »

Sampson has a great season last year at a school that is not Brewster.   He is highly ranked and commits to Lavin and St. John's.
Sampson willingly plays for a coach who theoretically threatens his playing time and makes him open up his recruitment and drop St. Johns and Lavin.  If he doesn't, he will sit and coach dope will bad mouth him?

What does Coach Dope have against St. John's and what does he get in return for a Kansas commit?  I'm sure this has been covered so i apologize for the repetition.

To clarify I did not state that the brat threatened his playing time.  Just thinking out loud based on what others have said and I've heard about him expecting 2 yrs of Jakarr and only getting 1 at first.  Jakarr played at Brewster last year too remember.  Just know the other ppl in his life are very very high on Lavin and STJ.

boo3

« Reply #857 on: February 24, 2012, 08:21:34 PM »

To clarify I did not state that the brat threatened his playing time.  Just thinking out loud based on what others have said and I've heard about him expecting 2 yrs of Jakarr and only getting 1 at first.  Jakarr played at Brewster last year too remember.  Just know the other ppl in his life are very very high on Lavin and STJ.

Ok, thanks for the clarification. He did play for this clown last year. We need some good news from this kid. Hope he does the right thing.

« Reply #858 on: February 24, 2012, 08:43:29 PM »

Hopefully those other people stay in his ear and not Brewster

MCNPA

« Reply #859 on: February 24, 2012, 08:56:42 PM »

Here's smith's bio.  He's associate dean of admissions.  He holds a lot more power there than just bball coach.

http://www.brewsteracademy.org/RelId/620788/ISvars/default/Jason_Smith_-_Associate_Director_of_Admission%252c_Head_Boy's_Varsity_Basketball_Coach.htm

The purpose here is not to bad mouth Jason Smith.  People should just realize that there are sub-plots that sometimes the fans of teams aren't aware of.  It's not always about a kid losing their love for a school.  I rely believe hwy Jakarr still wants to come here. 

Bottom line is that coming to SJU would be fantastic for Jakarr's basketball career.  one only has to look at Moe Harkless and D'Lo to see how much quality coaching and publicity our guys can get.  We have two of the most high profile and best freshmen in the nation and neither was sniffed as a McD's AA.  Lavin has never given up on Jakarr.  Theres nothing that Kansas can offer him that we can't except for a season or two with his ass on the pine.  We will have the pieces to win big too with some of these kids potentially committing.  Even more than that, he has friends at SJU and has a long relationship with these coaches.  Like I said, if we don't land Jakarr, then something is wrong, and it's not with Lavin.  SJU's PF spot was built for Jakarr. Lavin has saved his seat for an entire season.  Jakarr must realize it. 
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 09:03:17 PM by MCNPA »