Jakarr Sampson - SF - Brewster Academy - Akron, OH - ST. JOHN'S

• 1462 replies

gman

Re: Jakarr Sampson - SF - Brewster Academy - Akron, OH
« Reply #940 on: February 26, 2012, 01:29:02 PM »
Starring in the media capital of the world is going to get you far more exposure than starring in the middle of nowhere. And Zkansas is the middle of nowhere. Only a f'n nice person would go there for anything.

You have a very one sided view, so probaly wasting breath arguing with you... but from 1998-2008 (I don't have time right now to search for more recent data) 22 players were drafted out of Kansas.  I don't think exposure has hurt them.  If Jakarr wants to play in Kansas, I could understand why.  I just hope he wants to come play in the bright lights on NYC and with his former commits.

« Reply #941 on: February 26, 2012, 02:05:13 PM »
Well then, I guess New Yorker Russell Robinson got what he deserved -- a national champioship in 2008.

Tru and that should never be forgot.

Not to be forgot too is the fact that KU wuz his 2nd choice. Just remindin.....
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

Poison

« Reply #942 on: February 26, 2012, 02:32:10 PM »
Again, I asked the question: have you been to Kansas? I ask that because I have, and it's f'n revolting.

desco80

« Reply #943 on: February 26, 2012, 02:45:26 PM »
Yes, I have been through Kansas, but much like other major Universities (Ohio State, Penn State, Syracuse, etc) you can't compare the university town to the surrounding area.   The campus is a huge entity with an entirely different population and purpose than the boondocks surrounding it.

And put plainly - Posion you seem like a smart guy, but this debate is beyond ridiculous.    Kansas hasn't missed the NCAA's in 20+ years.  In the last 8 years they've been to the Elite 8 or beyond 4 times.  And in the past 25+ seasons I can count on one hand the number of seasons they HAVEN'T had someone drafted. 

It's debatable whether Jakarr is better off getting serious playing time right out of the gate.   But Kansas is always a valid option for a ball player.   Even if he sits for 2 years there, they have top notch coaches and facilities equal to anyone.  You can't argue he's making a mistake by choosing Kansas.   

« Reply #944 on: February 26, 2012, 02:59:06 PM »
fwiw the Kansas fan board hasn't heard much on Sampson on yay or nay if he was gonna sign there.  This is the last post after someone asked what recruits were thinking about their experience.

I just had breakfast at the Oread and Danny was sitting with some of the recruits. They were all having a good time.

"It was crazy, I got goosebumps from how loud it was," JaKarr Sampson on his visit to KU.

TONYD3

« Reply #945 on: February 26, 2012, 03:04:13 PM »
I love new York, love st. Johns basketball, and liked going to st. Johns for college. A big regret I have is not going to a big time state university. My brother went to Florida, friends went to Ohio st. Their college experience was so much better on many levels then mine were.

Moose

« Reply #946 on: February 26, 2012, 03:06:35 PM »
I love new York, love st. Johns basketball, and liked going to st. Johns for college. A big regret I have is not going to a big time state university. My brother went to Florida, friends went to Ohio st. Their college experience was so much better on many levels then mine were.

Different strokes for different folks
Remember who broke the Slice news

desco80

« Reply #947 on: February 26, 2012, 04:58:12 PM »
Ron Roberts looks great right now, he's owning Temple. He might be the 6th man of the year. But we don't have a spot for me, another great decision by the staff

You're starting to sound like Bobre. Will you be saying this same thing five years from now?

It is water under the bridge, but Roberts was a beast against Temple yesterday.   18 and 7, and threw down a monster dunk that was a top 10 play on Sports Center this morning.

« Reply #948 on: February 26, 2012, 06:45:25 PM »
Starring in the media capital of the world is going to get you far more exposure than starring in the middle of nowhere. And Zkansas is the middle of nowhere. Only a f'n nice person would go there for anything.

Only a nice person.................... or a college basketball player who wanted to play for an elite program would go there.

Kansas is like the Notre Dame of basketball. Elite athletes dont go there to settle down, they go there to play for distinguished programs.
They may want to live in NYC, but they want to play at Kansas, Kentucky, Notre Dame
For basketball only, scratch ND from your list. Add Duke, NC and UCLA. There you have college bb royalty.
The whole exposure argument is silly in the ESPN age. Are Austin, Memphis or Milwaukee on par with NY as cities? Of course not. Did playing there hurt Durant, Rose or Wade? Rose signed a $250 million deal with Adidas today. Playing in Memphis was an awful move...

Fwiw, Memphis isn't the middle of nowhere like Waco or Lawrence Kansas.  Memphis is a large city with culture and massive basketball support.  Memphis averages more fans to games than Kansas does.
Memphis averages more fans because they play in a larger building. If Kansas tripled the seating capacity of Phog Allen Fieldhouse, guess what? Every game would still sell out.
The argument advanced by Poison is that by not playing in NYC, a recruit is foolish because he is not getting the same exposure. My point was to simply refute that statement. Instead of Memphis, use Lexington Kentucky. It hasn't hurt anyone coming out of UK.

« Reply #949 on: February 26, 2012, 06:47:51 PM »
Not sure if this means anythig but Robinson of Kansas just tweeted the following

@KarrSampson14 already done!

Moose

« Reply #950 on: February 26, 2012, 06:52:53 PM »
Not sure if this means anythig but Robinson of Kansas just tweeted the following

@KarrSampson14 already done!

What it means is Karr said he was now following Robinson and that was Robinson's response.
Remember who broke the Slice news

MCNPA

« Reply #951 on: February 26, 2012, 06:57:55 PM »

Only a nice person.................... or a college basketball player who wanted to play for an elite program would go there.

Kansas is like the Notre Dame of basketball. Elite athletes dont go there to settle down, they go there to play for distinguished programs.
They may want to live in NYC, but they want to play at Kansas, Kentucky, Notre Dame
For basketball only, scratch ND from your list. Add Duke, NC and UCLA. There you have college bb royalty.
The whole exposure argument is silly in the ESPN age. Are Austin, Memphis or Milwaukee on par with NY as cities? Of course not. Did playing there hurt Durant, Rose or Wade? Rose signed a $250 million deal with Adidas today. Playing in Memphis was an awful move...

Fwiw, Memphis isn't the middle of nowhere like Waco or Lawrence Kansas.  Memphis is a large city with culture and massive basketball support.  Memphis averages more fans to games than Kansas does.
Memphis averages more fans because they play in a larger building. If Kansas tripled the seating capacity of Phog Allen Fieldhouse, guess what? Every game would still sell out.
The argument advanced by Poison is that by not playing in NYC, a recruit is foolish because he is not getting the same exposure. My point was to simply refute that statement. Instead of Memphis, use Lexington Kentucky. It hasn't hurt anyone coming out of UK.

Actually, Memphis has a ridiculous amount of season ticket holders.  Their fans are just as fervent.  Your point is understood though and I agree.  I still feel that one can't beat the exposure of the Big East and the greatness of playing at MSG.  For a guy like Jakarr, i have stated that I think there are too many advantages at SJU to turn down.  He can step in and be an impact player with 30+mpg from day 1 on a team full of guys he's already buddies with.  My real fear is that Jason smith could derail it somehow. Hope that's not the case. 

boo3

« Reply #952 on: February 26, 2012, 07:18:40 PM »
 What does Smith get out of sending Jakarr to Kansas? What am i missing? An assistant coaching job, $$$?

sju89tr

« Reply #953 on: February 26, 2012, 08:56:54 PM »
Jakarr has not chosen Kansas nor has St Johns been eliminated from his recruitment....Just saying

« Reply #954 on: February 26, 2012, 09:08:41 PM »
As much as his PREP coach may be pushing him to Kansas or another school other that STJ....to me, bottom line is Steve Lavin is in constant contact with him and closing the deal. 

No matter where Sampson goes he's going to get time and be a player.  But to me...STJ offers the most PT and the best opportunity to showcase his talents.  When I think about all the other programs recruiting him, I do understand why we worry about him.  But he is a smart kid who already committed to us once....and to me....the bottom line is we offer the best opportunity for him personally! He knows that!!  And Lavin will not miss on this one. 

sju89tr

« Reply #955 on: February 26, 2012, 09:13:57 PM »
As much as his PREP coach may be pushing him to Kansas or another school other that STJ....to me, bottom line is Steve Lavin is in constant contact with him and closing the deal. 

No matter where Sampson goes he's going to get time and be a player.  But to me...STJ offers the most PT and the best opportunity to showcase his talents.  When I think about all the other programs recruiting him, I do understand why we worry about him.  But he is a smart kid who already committed to us once....and to me....the bottom line is we offer the best opportunity for him personally! He knows that!!  And Lavin will not miss on this one.

+10000

MCNPA

« Reply #956 on: February 26, 2012, 09:43:16 PM »

Agree...  Lavin has put several years into Jakarr.  He cares about this kid.  I think Jakarr was really one of or even the first kid Lavin really got involved with at SJU.  Even before Harkless.  The easy thing to do for Lavin would have been to move on a long time ago.  Lavin didn't do it.  He's swimming upstream and walking through fire against people like j. smith to get Jakarr here.  A lot of time and effort put in.  The kid has a fantastic opportunity here, and this is the only place where the staff and players already truly care about him.  Hope Jakarr realizes this.  I don't care how many screaming douchebags were at KU yesterday.  Doesn't change the fact that SJU has been waiting with open arms for Jakarr for a long time.

« Reply #957 on: February 26, 2012, 10:15:41 PM »
this is starting to become Kyle Andersen all over again.  Wish we knew either way.

« Reply #958 on: February 26, 2012, 10:16:03 PM »
You guys are going crazy. Just let things play out.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #959 on: February 26, 2012, 10:25:40 PM »
You guys are going crazy. Just let things play out.

We are letting things play out, and we currently stand at (0) commitments and numrous Transfers, numrous de-commitments, and numerous academic casulaties.  Now how's that for a real fact?