Jakarr Sampson - SF - Brewster Academy - Akron, OH - ST. JOHN'S

• 1462 replies
Re: Jakarr Sampson - SF - Brewster Academy - Akron, OH - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #1220 on: March 15, 2012, 08:43:49 AM »
Much love and respect to the coaches,the players and everyone involved with the recruitment of JaKarr. Way to stick with it through the twists and turns and much love to JaKarr for loyalty.

tnice

« Reply #1221 on: March 15, 2012, 09:42:44 AM »
I would like to start a petition for the reinstatement of Lapchick1, so we can torture him with this good news and the good news to follow.

Can I get an amen?

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut on occasion!You Kool-Aid drinkers make me sick. We still need six big men and three more point guards. Where are they? It's already close to May, and we have no one. We suck, and we will continue to suck for years to come. I am Christ, your lord and savior, but will anyone listen to me? No!

LMAO.  Still shaking my head in amazement that the crazy SOB compared himself to Jesus. The battle for second place in the Post of the Year category began that very day.

Half a day later and I'm still stoked about getting JaKarr. C'mon Moe....stick around for the fun!

« Reply #1222 on: March 15, 2012, 09:52:37 AM »
This was some great news to wake up to. Lavin wasn't kidding about this class. I'm feeling real good about next season.

« Reply #1223 on: March 15, 2012, 10:16:09 AM »
I'll never doubt Lavin again.

JaKarr Sampson Comes Back to St. John's!

paultzman

« Reply #1224 on: March 15, 2012, 10:39:43 AM »
Told you so guys!!!

Moose

« Reply #1225 on: March 15, 2012, 10:40:27 AM »
Told you so guys!!!

Next prognostication? :)
Remember who broke the Slice news

paultzman

« Reply #1226 on: March 15, 2012, 10:49:17 AM »
Told you so guys!!!

As noted by Dave, Morris. Obekpa, my friend is a bit doubtful about, FWIW.

Moose

« Reply #1227 on: March 15, 2012, 10:56:14 AM »
Told you so guys!!!

As noted by Dave, Morris. Obekpa, my friend is a bit doubtful about, FWIW.

I'm with you

DFF6

« Reply #1228 on: March 15, 2012, 11:08:14 AM »
Just picked this piece up on one of the Providence message boards. Very interesting insight into Jakarr's state of mind following his failure to qualify last year.

Sampson reunited and it feels so good
March, 15, 2012
Mar 15
2:10
AM ET
Email
Print
Comments0
Twitter was popping shortly after South Florida took apart California. The cause? Jakarr Sampson (Akron, Ohio/Brewster Prep) reached a decision. A decision that caught many – myself included – by surprise.

After saying on March 9 that he was locked into visiting Florida and Providence, Sampson ended his recruitment with the school he began it with. St. John’s is the final destination for this springy combo forward who hails from the high school LeBron James attended.

“Coach [Steve] Lavin has love for me,” Sampson said. “I felt that. I bonded with those players when I committed last year, and it was hard leaving them.”

Sampson said recently he was into Kansas, Baylor and Florida, and reiterated that Providence coach Ed Cooley outworked a lot of people. Regardless, Lavin has his man. Lavin worked hard to regain the pledge. St. John’s lost Sampson when he failed to qualify last fall.

“When I left Brewster, St. John’s was the last thing on my mind,” Sampson said. “I was blaming them for me not qualifying, but that was wrong. I was just upset.”

There’s buzz that freshman Mo Harkless may explore his NBA options and check his draft stock. Sampson thinks that will happen, but regardless of whether Harkless is in a Red Storm jersey or not, he's coming to Jamaica.

“Even if I thought he was staying, I would still have come,” Sampson said.

Sampson’s commitment is significant for the Red Storm. He’ll enter the program next year with a year of prep under his belt. Athletically he’ll be at the top of the charts in the Big East. Much will be expected.

Earlier in the week, Lavin landed combo guard Felix Balamou (Centereach, N.Y./Our Savior).

Moose

« Reply #1229 on: March 15, 2012, 11:12:46 AM »
Just picked this piece up on one of the Providence message boards. Very interesting insight into Jakarr's state of mind following his failure to qualify last year.

Sampson reunited and it feels so good
March, 15, 2012
Mar 15
2:10
AM ET
Email
Print
Comments0
Twitter was popping shortly after South Florida took apart California. The cause? Jakarr Sampson (Akron, Ohio/Brewster Prep) reached a decision. A decision that caught many – myself included – by surprise.

After saying on March 9 that he was locked into visiting Florida and Providence, Sampson ended his recruitment with the school he began it with. St. John’s is the final destination for this springy combo forward who hails from the high school LeBron James attended.

“Coach [Steve] Lavin has love for me,” Sampson said. “I felt that. I bonded with those players when I committed last year, and it was hard leaving them.”

Sampson said recently he was into Kansas, Baylor and Florida, and reiterated that Providence coach Ed Cooley outworked a lot of people. Regardless, Lavin has his man. Lavin worked hard to regain the pledge. St. John’s lost Sampson when he failed to qualify last fall.

“When I left Brewster, St. John’s was the last thing on my mind,” Sampson said. “I was blaming them for me not qualifying, but that was wrong. I was just upset.”

There’s buzz that freshman Mo Harkless may explore his NBA options and check his draft stock. Sampson thinks that will happen, but regardless of whether Harkless is in a Red Storm jersey or not, he's coming to Jamaica.

“Even if I thought he was staying, I would still have come,” Sampson said.

Sampson’s commitment is significant for the Red Storm. He’ll enter the program next year with a year of prep under his belt. Athletically he’ll be at the top of the charts in the Big East. Much will be expected.

Earlier in the week, Lavin landed combo guard Felix Balamou (Centereach, N.Y./Our Savior).

Yeah that is Dave Telep's blog from ESPN.

« Reply #1230 on: March 15, 2012, 11:13:25 AM »

« Reply #1231 on: March 15, 2012, 11:27:50 AM »
welcome back jakarr!!

redslope

« Reply #1232 on: March 15, 2012, 11:32:53 AM »
way to go JaKarr; welcome to the Big City.  looking forward to next year.

the video posted by redmen4life is great--only wish it was longer

« Reply #1233 on: March 15, 2012, 11:40:04 AM »
Huge news!!!

If Moe stays next years lineup is gonna be crazy.
Phil/Jamal, Dee, Moe, Karr, GG with Dom, Amir and Felix coming off the bench. Just imagine if Pelle was eligible too

derk

« Reply #1234 on: March 15, 2012, 11:54:59 AM »
People are shocked that he re-committed here. Interesting.

Brian Snow ‏ @BSnowScout  Reply  Retweet  Favorite · Open
I can't remember the last time I was as shocked in a decision as I am in this one. No one was thinking Red Storm for Sampson

I saw that too and was confused. I figured a guy like snow would be more in the loop. it was no secret we were always at the top of Sampson's list

Not true. There is a reason why Snow got the scoop, he's a Brewster alum. He was very much in the loop. A lot of people were pushing JaKarr in opposite directions but JaKarr and his family wanted St. John's.

This helps in St. John's favor for Moe but ultimately won't prevent him leaving.

Dave, are you saying Moe is leaving, or that the Jakarr signing won't play a role either way in his decision.

derk

« Reply #1235 on: March 15, 2012, 11:57:06 AM »
Thank you JaKarr. Your loyalty is appreciated. You'll have a great time in NYC and SJU

tnice

« Reply #1236 on: March 15, 2012, 11:59:25 AM »

For me, thats the most encouraging part of the piece. Nice to see a kid mature and introspective enough to get past the initial reaction, look in the mirror and take responsibility.

Part of the reason I like this team so much- just as much as their on court ability- is because I like these kids as people...they seem like mature, high character kids. Sounds like JaKarr will fit right in.

« Reply #1238 on: March 15, 2012, 12:15:57 PM »
Snow and Daniels have been insisting several times because of certain people around JaKarr that him going back to SJU after de-committing was a longshot.  I can post tweets and other posts of theirs from scout.com even as they consistently listed SJU as a possibility.

JaKarr's heart was always with SJU.

« Reply #1239 on: March 15, 2012, 12:42:11 PM »
Wonder if Jakarr and especially Lavin timed the announcement to coincide with the beginning of the NCAA T to give Johhnie fans something to cheer about. Either way great news and thank-you to coach for sticking with this kid and putting in the hard work it took to keep him. PS Believe Jakarr's interest in Providence was just him CLOWNING around.