Jakarr Sampson - SF - Brewster Academy - Akron, OH - ST. JOHN'S

• 1462 replies
Re: Jakarr Sampson - SF - Brewster Academy - Akron, OH - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #1240 on: March 15, 2012, 12:47:27 PM »
Wonder if Jakarr and especially Lavin timed the announcement to coincide with the beginning of the NCAA T to give Johhnie fans something to cheer about. Either way great news and thank-you to coach for sticking with this kid and putting in the hard work it took to keep him. PS Believe Jakarr's interest in Providence was just him CLOWNING around.

i don't want to sound disrespectful to Cooley, cause he sounds like a good dude, but after our experience with Norm, it sounds like a lot of guys from the New England area list PC because it's the local school.  Don't think any high ranked players seriously consider PC.  it's more of a PR move on the player's part.

NYCoffey

« Reply #1241 on: March 15, 2012, 12:53:27 PM »
Wonder if Jakarr and especially Lavin timed the announcement to coincide with the beginning of the NCAA T to give Johhnie fans something to cheer about. Either way great news and thank-you to coach for sticking with this kid and putting in the hard work it took to keep him. PS Believe Jakarr's interest in Providence was just him CLOWNING around.

i don't want to sound disrespectful to Cooley, cause he sounds like a good dude, but after our experience with Norm, it sounds like a lot of guys from the New England area list PC because it's the local school.  Don't think any high ranked players seriously consider PC.  it's more of a PR move on the player's part.

He has one of the best pt guards and a top 10 recruit coming in Kris Dunn. They also have Ledo who is very highly rated (he is a Providence local so that played a pretty probably played a big part in him going there).

« Reply #1242 on: March 15, 2012, 12:57:03 PM »
Eric Bossi of Rivals.com has some nice quotes.  It's funny I always liked Applebees:

http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1343581

"They always had my heart," Sampson told Rivals.com of St. John's. "Even when I left my heart was still there. I got to know the coaches, the players and I couldn't leave them like that because my heart is still with them."

Sampson's summer coach Don Anderson of the King James Shooting Stars echoed his player's thoughts. He also said how long St. John's has been involved and Sampson's opportunity to make an impact were key.

"It's about the fit and the style of play for him," said Anderson. "It's how he can become an impact player in that system.

"St. John's has been doing it for two years. It's a place where his heart was at last year and it was unfortunate that he wasn't able to perform for them this year. He saw a rebound here or a blocked shot there that he could have made and felt that he could have helped this year."

According to Sampson, he met last night with his mother and Anderson to discuss his next step and the decision just came to him.

"We were at Applebee's eating and we were talking about some things," said Sampson. "We thought St. John's was the best fit and I called them up while we were coming up back home."

Not surprisingly, Sampson's future coach was excited about the news.

"Coach Lav was shocked and he said he got goose bumps," said Sampson. "It was big. He was happy, I was happy."

DFF6

« Reply #1243 on: March 15, 2012, 01:06:09 PM »
Eric Bossi of Rivals.com has some nice quotes.  It's funny I always liked Applebees:

http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1343581

"They always had my heart," Sampson told Rivals.com of St. John's. "Even when I left my heart was still there. I got to know the coaches, the players and I couldn't leave them like that because my heart is still with them."

Sampson's summer coach Don Anderson of the King James Shooting Stars echoed his player's thoughts. He also said how long St. John's has been involved and Sampson's opportunity to make an impact were key.

"It's about the fit and the style of play for him," said Anderson. "It's how he can become an impact player in that system.

"St. John's has been doing it for two years. It's a place where his heart was at last year and it was unfortunate that he wasn't able to perform for them this year. He saw a rebound here or a blocked shot there that he could have made and felt that he could have helped this year."

According to Sampson, he met last night with his mother and Anderson to discuss his next step and the decision just came to him.

"We were at Applebee's eating and we were talking about some things," said Sampson. "We thought St. John's was the best fit and I called them up while we were coming up back home."

Not surprisingly, Sampson's future coach was excited about the news.

"Coach Lav was shocked and he said he got goose bumps," said Sampson. "It was big. He was happy, I was happy."

Cool article from Bossi.  Interesting to read that Coach was "shocked" to get the call.  I wonder if he was he shocked over receiving the call itself, the timing of it, or if he was just saying that as a reaction to the moment?

« Reply #1244 on: March 15, 2012, 01:09:57 PM »
i think shocked at the timing of it.  sounds like Lav was caught off guard.

« Reply #1245 on: March 15, 2012, 03:30:09 PM »
Sampson's pledge means more this time By Adam Finkelstein

With questions about Lavin’s future at St. John's swirling due to his health and his recruiting collateral falling in direct correlation, Sampson’s second commitment is nothing short of huge for St. John’s.

Not only is Sampson coming off a big season at Brewster Academy, where he took home both NEPSAC AAA Player of the Year honors and the National Prep Championship MVP, but he’s also one of the best available players left on the board in the country. Plus, he's the type of guy who is capable of coming in and making an instant impact.

Equally important, is the effect this commitment has on St. John’s recruiting profile. The Johnnies were widely perceived to be out of Sampson’s recruitment. Lavin wasn’t nearly as visible as he was at the beginning of the season, Sampson had just taken a trip to Kansas, and had said he planned to see both Providence and Florida before making a decision.

Sampson’s commitment gives St. John’s a huge boost of momentum and sends a statement about its ability to still recruit at a high level. It also may be added motivation for Christopher Obekpa (Centereach, N.Y./Our Savior New America), Lavin’s biggest remaining target in the Class of 2012 and Balamou’s high school teammate.

If Lavin were somehow able to land both Sampson and Obekpa, St. John’s class would instantly be elevated to among the best in the entire Big East and Lavin would be credited for rebuilding St. John’s talent base for a second time in just two years.

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/ncbrecruiting/national/post?id=1673

Marillac

« Reply #1246 on: March 15, 2012, 04:01:31 PM »
Lavin made a statement.  It's one thing to get a player that a program like Kansas has interest in, it's another take the player from Kansas after they had rolled out the red carpet on an official visit. 

He went to Lawrence for the highest ranked opponent they played all year, in the most exciting game they played all year, and he saw al the Sampson signs, got all the tweets, and even saw a #14 Sampson KU jersey...but he commits to St. John's.

I know Rupp Arena and Phog Allen are amazing arenas and always filled to capacity, but when Madison Square Garden is rocking there simply is no place in the world that can compare:

St. John's vs. Pittsburgh Madison Square Garden: Dwight Hardy Game-Winning Layup

Goosebumps.Every.Time.

boo3

« Reply #1247 on: March 15, 2012, 04:05:55 PM »
 Anyone have any links to the KU or Providence fan forums?  I would like to read their reactions to Jakarr coming to the Johnnies.

« Reply #1248 on: March 15, 2012, 04:07:12 PM »
Hey guys I just wanted to say congrats on the Jakarr commitment.  I think he has a nice career ahead of him.  I'm glad to see Lavin hasn't lost his recruiting touch even after everything hes been through

« Reply #1249 on: March 15, 2012, 04:07:42 PM »
+ infinity

(without fail i get goosebumps when that buzzer sounds)

« Reply #1250 on: March 15, 2012, 04:11:15 PM »
Hey guys I just wanted to say congrats on the Jakarr commitment.  I think he has a nice career ahead of him.  I'm glad to see Lavin hasn't lost his recruiting touch even after everything hes been through

Very classy.

And I saw a Kansas fan tweet to JaKarr congrats, very nice.

Also interesting to see that Norvel tweeted to JaKarr about re-upping with SJU.

pmg911

« Reply #1251 on: March 15, 2012, 04:31:57 PM »

Its comments like this that make posters lose credibility.

Providence has a Top 10 class coming in and that doesn't including getting Sidiki Johnson

paultzman

« Reply #1252 on: March 15, 2012, 04:53:00 PM »

Its comments like this that make posters lose credibility.

Right on point

Providence has a Top 10 class coming in and that doesn't including getting Sidiki Johnson

crgreen

« Reply #1253 on: March 15, 2012, 05:26:41 PM »
surprised I haven't seen "welcome" tweets from current team members.  Or have I just missed them on the 20 new pages of posts?   :)

desco80

« Reply #1254 on: March 15, 2012, 05:28:11 PM »
I've been on vacation and without internet service, so I just saw the news...
Great job by Lavin and Chiles! 
Keep 'em coming guys and hopefully Moe returns.

Dan

« Reply #1255 on: March 15, 2012, 05:39:15 PM »
Is it official, did he sign?

« Reply #1256 on: March 15, 2012, 05:41:19 PM »
surprised I haven't seen "welcome" tweets from current team members.  Or have I just missed them on the 20 new pages of posts?   :)

don't think it's allowed until he signs right(?)

besides from what sju79 said a week or so ago, i think the current team was working on JKS behind the scenes. 

« Reply #1257 on: March 15, 2012, 05:54:42 PM »

Can't sign until signing period, which is next month sometime I believe.

RedVet

« Reply #1258 on: March 15, 2012, 07:03:50 PM »

Can't sign until signing period, which is next month sometime I believe.

April 11.

« Reply #1259 on: March 15, 2012, 08:31:01 PM »
one thing that i love about all the quotes i've read from JKS and his AAU coach, is that not once have they mentioned playing time.  i love how JKS feels a strong bond with coach, staff, and team.  and he feels that this staff can develop him for the next level.   it's deeper than playing time for JKS.

i feel so good about our future.  good players will want to come b/c of our staff.  not just pt.