Jakarr Sampson - SF - Brewster Academy - Akron, OH - ST. JOHN'S

• 1462 replies

gman

Re: Jakarr Sampson - SF - Brewster Academy - Akron, OH - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #1260 on: March 15, 2012, 09:01:06 PM »
surprised I haven't seen "welcome" tweets from current team members.  Or have I just missed them on the 20 new pages of posts?   :)

It's dumb, but that is a violation

Poison

« Reply #1261 on: March 15, 2012, 09:16:24 PM »
one thing that i love about all the quotes i've read from JKS and his AAU coach, is that not once have they mentioned playing time.  i love how JKS feels a strong bond with coach, staff, and team.  and he feels that this staff can develop him for the next level.   it's deeper than playing time for JKS.

i feel so good about our future.  good players will want to come b/c of our staff.  not just pt.

So true

Dan

« Reply #1262 on: March 15, 2012, 10:32:17 PM »
Is it official, did he sign?

Can't sign until signing period, which is next month sometime I believe.

April 11.

Crossing my fingers, thanks.

Moose

« Reply #1263 on: March 15, 2012, 10:33:27 PM »
Is it official, did he sign?

Can't sign until signing period, which is next month sometime I believe.

April 11.

Crossing my fingers, thanks.

Seriously?
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #1264 on: March 16, 2012, 02:06:49 AM »
Great News!!!!! Welcome aboard!

LJSA

« Reply #1265 on: March 16, 2012, 03:12:24 AM »
one thing that i love about all the quotes i've read from JKS and his AAU coach, is that not once have they mentioned playing time.  i love how JKS feels a strong bond with coach, staff, and team.  and he feels that this staff can develop him for the next level.   it's deeper than playing time for JKS.

i feel so good about our future.  good players will want to come b/c of our staff.  not just pt.

The first time around, his AAU coach said he'd play center if he had to, he'd do anything to help the team, etc.

Winning is obviously his main concern. That said, he knows he's getting 30 min. a night minimum. Probably not at the position he wants to be at, but he's all about the team.

« Reply #1266 on: March 16, 2012, 11:06:47 AM »
you know things are going well, when NY Magazine writes about us:

http://nymag.com/daily/sports/2012/03/jakarr-sampson-re-commits-to-st-johns.html

« Reply #1267 on: March 16, 2012, 12:11:45 PM »
Lavin made a statement.  It's one thing to get a player that a program like Kansas has interest in, it's another take the player from Kansas after they had rolled out the red carpet on an official visit. 

He went to Lawrence for the highest ranked opponent they played all year, in the most exciting game they played all year, and he saw al the Sampson signs, got all the tweets, and even saw a #14 Sampson KU jersey...but he commits to St. John's.

I know Rupp Arena and Phog Allen are amazing arenas and always filled to capacity, but when Madison Square Garden is rocking there simply is no place in the world that can compare:

St. John's vs. Pittsburgh Madison Square Garden: Dwight Hardy Game-Winning Layup

Goosebumps.Every.Time.
If we are going to rise to the level that coach Lavin and the fan base envisions we are going to have to and expect to out recruit the big boys at least once and awhile. KU is loaded and we already had a prior commitment from Jakarr so while it is a great day for the Johnnies it should not be considered that amazing or surprising. When and if we start getting top 10 recruits that will truly be an incredible accomplishment.

Moose

« Reply #1268 on: March 16, 2012, 12:29:36 PM »
Lavin made a statement.  It's one thing to get a player that a program like Kansas has interest in, it's another take the player from Kansas after they had rolled out the red carpet on an official visit. 

He went to Lawrence for the highest ranked opponent they played all year, in the most exciting game they played all year, and he saw al the Sampson signs, got all the tweets, and even saw a #14 Sampson KU jersey...but he commits to St. John's.

I know Rupp Arena and Phog Allen are amazing arenas and always filled to capacity, but when Madison Square Garden is rocking there simply is no place in the world that can compare:

St. John's vs. Pittsburgh Madison Square Garden: Dwight Hardy Game-Winning Layup

Goosebumps.Every.Time.
If we are going to rise to the level that coach Lavin and the fan base envisions we are going to have to and expect to out recruit the big boys at least once and awhile. KU is loaded and we already had a prior commitment from Jakarr so while it is a great day for the Johnnies it should not be considered that amazing or surprising. When and if we start getting top 10 recruits that will truly be an incredible accomplishment.

Well the so called experts were very surprised that Jakarr committed.

« Reply #1269 on: March 16, 2012, 12:38:17 PM »

Goosebumps.Every.Time.

Missing my point. It is about recruiting success against the big boys not this specific recruit.

paultzman

« Reply #1270 on: March 16, 2012, 12:53:44 PM »
Don't know if posted, but a nice touch by a nice kid!

“@DanielJMartin_: For #STJbb fans, JaKarr Sampson posted this video on his Facebook http://t.co/Gr6NHiQC "Coming Home"”

Moose

« Reply #1271 on: March 16, 2012, 01:01:40 PM »

Goosebumps.Every.Time.

Missing my point. It is about recruiting success against the big boys not this specific recruit.

You said "KU is loaded and we already had a prior commitment from Jakarr so while it is a great day for the Johnnies it should not be considered that amazing or surprising."

Right now its both of those things to a lot of experts and the bball community who thought we were left for dead.  I do agree with you that down the road it won't be.  We won't be the little engine that could.  We will be going blow for blow with these big schools.  I wasn't trying to dissect your post just wanted to put it clearly in context that we did amaze and surprise a lot of ppl pulling Jakarr back into the fold.

« Reply #1272 on: March 16, 2012, 01:06:50 PM »
Maybe many people were surprised but the people in the know on this board (and I exclude myself from that description) were pretty confident we would resign Jakarr.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 01:07:40 PM by Celtics11 »

« Reply #1273 on: March 16, 2012, 01:17:20 PM »
Wow pretty cool, guys like Amir,  D'lo and Dom all display a passion for St John's and coach and now add Jakarr. Without a doubt we are headed in the right direction.

DFF6

« Reply #1274 on: March 16, 2012, 02:05:11 PM »

“@DanielJMartin_: For #STJbb fans, JaKarr Sampson posted this video on his Facebook http://t.co/Gr6NHiQC "Coming Home"”

Wow!  This video just says it all.  So glad JaKarr is "coming home". 

boo3

« Reply #1275 on: March 16, 2012, 03:02:55 PM »
Maybe many people were surprised but the people in the know on this board (and I exclude myself from that description) were pretty confident we would resign Jakarr.

What about the first time we recruited Jakarr?  Some big boys were after him then?  Moe Harkless was a Uconn verbal, we seemed to compete fine with those big boys? All of last years recruiting class, sans Greene, were recruited by "big boys".  Sorry, i'm just missing the point here..

Lavin has already proven he can recruit with anyone in the country, let's not downplay it.  You've been hanging out with your boy, "Shurina Cheese" again lately?

derk

« Reply #1276 on: March 16, 2012, 04:11:20 PM »

[/quote

Wow. Gotta love this kid. Thanks JKS, feeling is mutual. This is all Lavin.]

Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #1279 on: March 17, 2012, 11:09:49 AM »
BTW-Now you now why JaKarr was never enrolled at SJU.  Would never have been allowed to come back to SJU or Providence for that matter because of Big East rules on non-qualifiers.