Jakarr Sampson - SF - Brewster Academy - Akron, OH - ST. JOHN'S

• 1462 replies

paultzman

Re: Jakarr Sampson - SF - Brewster Academy - Akron, OH - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #1320 on: May 31, 2012, 07:18:50 PM »
I am so impressed with this young man.

“@BrewsterHoops: Also at Brewster's graduation, #StJohn's-signee @KarrSampson14 received the Ronald "Buzzy' Dore Memorial Award... http://t.co/6638V63x

« Reply #1321 on: May 31, 2012, 08:11:55 PM »
Eager to see him play alongside Obekpa - we are gonna be LONG now!

paultzman

« Reply #1322 on: July 07, 2012, 02:57:05 PM »
“@JonRothstein: Getting the early vibe that Jakarr Sampson could be St. John's go to player in 12-13. Has always reminded me of Chris Singleton.”

When does JR run dry on this comparison crap? Lol
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 03:06:37 PM by paultzman »

Moose

« Reply #1323 on: July 07, 2012, 03:04:48 PM »
“@JonRothstein: Getting the early vibe that Jakarr Sampson could be St. John's go to player in 12-13. Has always reminded me of Chris Singleton.”

When does JF run dry on this comparison crap? Lol

I actually agree with him ha.
Remember who broke the Slice news

paultzman

« Reply #1324 on: July 07, 2012, 03:06:12 PM »

So much Moose in Jon Rothstein! Say it ain't so man!

Chilleb

« Reply #1325 on: July 07, 2012, 03:35:04 PM »

So much Moose in Jon Rothstein! Say it ain't so man!

No love for 3'angelo
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 03:35:29 PM by Chilleb »

Poison

« Reply #1326 on: July 07, 2012, 03:55:06 PM »

Whenever we read about a new recruit, the who does he remind us of question always comes up. He uses it, and it works.

« Reply #1327 on: July 07, 2012, 04:00:54 PM »

Whenever we read about a new recruit, the who does he remind us of question always comes up. He uses it, and it works.

Like the saying "a picture is worth 1000 words", a comparison is worth a 1000 word description. It paints a quick picture.

Moose

« Reply #1328 on: July 07, 2012, 04:21:17 PM »

Comparisons are nice.  He goes overboard.  And a lot of them make no sense at all.

Gumby

« Reply #1329 on: July 07, 2012, 04:31:12 PM »
I have no idea whose style or looks Jakarr reminds folks of.  I just think he will be a very exciting player to watch this year.  I can see him help to diminish the loss of Moe this season. If he does not average at least 13-15 points per game, I will be disappointed.  Having Orlando and Chris playing inside should open up some nice touches by Jakarr.

paultzman

« Reply #1330 on: July 07, 2012, 04:38:27 PM »
I have no idea whose style or looks Jakarr reminds folks of.  I just think he will be a very exciting player to watch this year.  I can see him help to diminish the loss of Moe this season. If he does not average at least 13-15 points per game, I will be disappointed.  Having Orlando and Chris playing inside should open up some nice touches by Jakarr.

+1

Moose

« Reply #1331 on: July 07, 2012, 04:59:24 PM »

More players means less touches (granted better touches).  I think 13-15 might be a little too much.

« Reply #1332 on: July 07, 2012, 05:04:39 PM »
I agree with moose. I think 10-12 ppg is more likely.

Also I dont see how he can say he will be our go to player. Does he not know were returning a player who averaged 17 a game as a freshmen?
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #1333 on: July 07, 2012, 06:19:38 PM »
At this point his offensive game isn't complete so I dont see him being our go to player but he is a beast. IMO easily a top 20 player last year

desco80

« Reply #1334 on: July 08, 2012, 12:33:40 AM »
At this point his offensive game isn't complete so I dont see him being our go to player but he is a beast. IMO easily a top 20 player last year

So if he's a top 20 player last year... how would he compare to the guys that would've been in his class at his position?  Say Moe, Quincy Miller, Otto Porter from G-town, Nash, Behanan.  Guys like that.   

And has his offense noticeably improved from the year at prep?      Because people were saying the same thing a year ago.  Unrefined offensively.

Anybody who's seen Jakarr alot feel free to chime in for those of us trying to get a picture of what we can expect.

« Reply #1335 on: July 08, 2012, 01:22:14 AM »

So if he's a top 20 player last year... how would he compare to the guys that would've been in his class at his position?  Say Moe, Quincy Miller, Otto Porter from G-town, Nash, Behanan.  Guys like that.   

And has his offense noticeably improved from the year at prep?      Because people were saying the same thing a year ago.  Unrefined offensively.

Anybody who's seen Jakarr alot feel free to chime in for those of us trying to get a picture of what we can expect.

Those guys had the benefit of playing in college so its hard to compare but I believe he is on that level. He has noticeably improved from his first season at Brewster to his last. He was definitely stronger and had some consistency with a mid range jumper. Still has work to do but is improving at those aspects which tells me he is working hard at it. What he will really bring to us in my eyes is someone who will excel in transition better then anyone from last year, an explosive finisher around the rim and potentially our best player in a full court press (Taller and longer then Dom/Amir). Haven't seen him since he was at Brewster so he may of improved more.

MCNPA

« Reply #1336 on: July 08, 2012, 07:06:41 AM »
I think Jakarr has some similarities to a Quincy Miller style of player.  Jakarr is super high energy.  He's got a quicker first step than Moe did, but not quite the same smoothness.  That said, he's really got a crazy motor and attacks a lot.  Good rebounder and good in open court.  D'Lo will still be our leader and go-to plate, but Jakarr will play a big role in the frontcourt.  He is too good enough of an athlete to handle for most PF's. 

« Reply #1337 on: July 08, 2012, 12:50:30 PM »
I think Jakarr has some similarities to a Quincy Miller style of player.  Jakarr is super high energy.  He's got a quicker first step than Moe did, but not quite the same smoothness.  That said, he's really got a crazy motor and attacks a lot.  Good rebounder and good in open court.  D'Lo will still be our leader and go-to plate, but Jakarr will play a big role in the frontcourt.  He is too good enough of an athlete to handle for most PF's. 

I agree with everything except the Quincy Miller comparison. Quincy is much more of a perimeter player than Jakarr
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

sju89tr

« Reply #1338 on: July 08, 2012, 12:53:55 PM »
I think D Lo will average about 15 points a game and Jakarr around 10 but everyone else will be in that 7-9 range. We are goint to run, run, and run some more and put up a to of points.   

MCNPA

« Reply #1339 on: July 08, 2012, 01:13:55 PM »

I agree with everything except the Quincy Miller comparison. Quincy is much more of a perimeter player than Jakarr

Agree that he's more of a perimeter player.  I do think they have some similarities though, especially with their game around the rim.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 02:44:28 PM by MCNPA »