Jakarr Sampson - SF - Brewster Academy - Akron, OH - ST. JOHN'S

• 1462 replies
Re: Jakarr Sampson - SF - Brewster Academy - Akron, OH - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #1440 on: November 26, 2012, 07:02:27 PM »
“@STJ_Basketball: Congrats to @BigEastMBB Rookie of the Week, @KarrSampson14, and to D'Angelo Harrison, who made the Honor Roll two weeks in a row. #stjbb”

Sampson had a fine week, but jeez, we played Holy Cross and FGC.

He's more than deserving. FGCU isn't that bad, and most other BE teams are playing the cupcake part of their schedule as well. Congrats Jakarr.

I didn't say he wasn't deserving, but come on, FGC is a joke if there ever was one.

They beat an ACC team by double digits.

Poison

« Reply #1441 on: November 26, 2012, 07:17:48 PM »
“@STJ_Basketball: Congrats to @BigEastMBB Rookie of the Week, @KarrSampson14, and to D'Angelo Harrison, who made the Honor Roll two weeks in a row. #stjbb”

Sampson had a fine week, but jeez, we played Holy Cross and FGC.

He's more than deserving. FGCU isn't that bad, and most other BE teams are playing the cupcake part of their schedule as well. Congrats Jakarr.

I didn't say he wasn't deserving, but come on, FGC is a joke if there ever was one.

They beat an ACC team by double digits.

Yes, I know. Without Durand Scott. We often lose to this crap teams, and it's time that we are expected to beat them. We are St.John's, and our standards need to be raised. IMO, this game was technically a victory, but it showed that several glaring weaknesses have not been addressed by the players.

paultzman

« Reply #1442 on: December 10, 2012, 11:49:05 AM »
“@BigEastMBB: Seton Hall G Fuquan Edwin is the BIG EAST Player of the Week; St. John's F JaKarr Sampson earns Rookie of the Week honors.”

paultzman

« Reply #1443 on: December 17, 2012, 10:53:49 AM »
“@BigEastMBB: Louisville F Chane Behanan is 12/17 BIG EAST Player of the Week; St. John's F JaKarr Sampson is BIG EAST Rookie of the Week.”

paultzman

« Reply #1444 on: December 18, 2012, 11:55:38 AM »
The national attention Chris and JaKarr are getting bodes well for attracting kids and putting the program in a positive light. Obviously winning consistently and making Big Dance regularly still is a work in progress.

“@jeffborzello: In his last four games, St. John's freshman Jakarr Sampson is averaging 18.5 points and 10.5 rebounds.”

paultzman

« Reply #1445 on: December 31, 2012, 12:46:43 PM »
“@ECoastBias: Reviewing Jakarr Sampson and the wings #stjbb http://t.co/icdiEO1M

paultzman

« Reply #1446 on: January 07, 2013, 09:13:17 AM »
Rothstein giving Sampson kudos;

“@JonRothstein: The latest @WFAN660 features the Monday Morning College Hoops Notebook http://t.co/UyWOLXw4

« Reply #1447 on: January 07, 2013, 12:14:44 PM »
So Lavin had the conference's two best rookies last year and, arguably, the two best this year in Sampson and Obekpa.  It's amazing that I still hear criticism of his recruiting.

Moose

« Reply #1448 on: January 07, 2013, 12:17:59 PM »
So Lavin had the conference's two best rookies last year and, arguably, the two best this year in Sampson and Obekpa.  It's amazing that I still hear criticism of his recruiting.

Last year's guy left.  And you can't help but wonder who follows suit.  Need continuity.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #1449 on: January 07, 2013, 08:27:01 PM »

Last year's guy left.  And you can't help but wonder who follows suit.  Need continuity.

Continue to bring in the league's best rookie

Moose

« Reply #1450 on: January 07, 2013, 08:28:56 PM »

Our program needs stability before thats really a good thing.
If the guy leaves after winning 20 games sure its great.

boo3

« Reply #1451 on: January 07, 2013, 08:34:51 PM »

I agree about stability, but I'm not sure we can have it both ways. If you are going to be bringing in top 10-50 kids every year and selling them on getting to the next level, you can't be mad when they leave.  In time, things will stabilize.  I'm all for bringing in best possible talent, if they leave, so be it.

Moose

« Reply #1452 on: January 08, 2013, 10:24:47 AM »

I agree about stability, but I'm not sure we can have it both ways. If you are going to be bringing in top 10-50 kids every year and selling them on getting to the next level, you can't be mad when they leave.  In time, things will stabilize.  I'm all for bringing in best possible talent, if they leave, so be it.

You can have it both ways. But you first need to get some guys to stick around 3-4 years.  Can't have the one and done's until you have a bit of a buildup.  What I'm saying is you can have one and done's but you need to be winning 20 games a year first.

gman

« Reply #1453 on: January 11, 2013, 02:18:35 PM »

You can have it both ways. But you first need to get some guys to stick around 3-4 years.  Can't have the one and done's until you have a bit of a buildup.  What I'm saying is you can have one and done's but you need to be winning 20 games a year first.

You also need kids to buy in and wait their turn.  Look at McLemore and Carter Williams.  Both waited their turns and now both are studs.  Didn't see either of them get scared off and transferring due to playing time (or redshirting)

Moose

« Reply #1454 on: January 11, 2013, 02:22:32 PM »

You also need kids to buy in and wait their turn.  Look at McLemore and Carter Williams.  Both waited their turns and now both are studs.  Didn't see either of them get scared off and transferring due to playing time (or redshirting)

McLemore was ineligible last year.
Your right on MCW.
All depends on the kid you bring in.  Some will wait their turn. Some won't.

sju89tr

« Reply #1455 on: January 11, 2013, 02:25:10 PM »

Your right on MCW.

It's easier to sell that when you are a winning program and difficult when you are struggling as each kid thinks they can do better than the other,

gman

« Reply #1456 on: January 11, 2013, 03:13:24 PM »

Your right on MCW.

It's easier to sell that when you are a winning program and difficult when you are struggling as each kid thinks they can do better than the other,
[/quote]

I thought McLemore was a redshirt.

And that's my point Ted.  We are far off from there, but would be great to get to the point where kids are willing to sit to play.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 03:14:21 PM by gman »

sju89tr

« Reply #1457 on: January 11, 2013, 03:51:08 PM »

Your right on MCW.

And that's my point Ted.  We are far off from there, but would be great to get to the point where kids are willing to sit to play.
[/quote]

That is the way it used to be at St Johns and almost every other program. With the 1 and 2 year player thing, kids look to go to winning programs to get their shot to play early due to other early defections before them then to make a buck themselves. The way we are getting players these days is by offering immediate playing time. I think it will take a few NCAA appearances to get us there and have a roster that allows for some development before they play.

SJUFAN

« Reply #1458 on: January 11, 2013, 04:23:30 PM »

Your right on MCW.

That is the way it used to be at St Johns and almost every other program. With the 1 and 2 year player thing, kids look to go to winning programs to get their shot to play early due to other early defections before them then to make a buck themselves. The way we are getting players these days is by offering immediate playing time. I think it will take a few NCAA appearances to get us there and have a roster that allows for some development before they play.
[/quote]

What we need is a core of solid upper classmen, then you can sprinkle in a couple 1 and 2 year players and remain constant. The fact that Lavin had to replace 9 ships in one class doesn't make it easy. But when you consider Dom, D'lo, Amir, Greene, Branch, Jones, and Felix that is gonna be a solid group of 4 year players. I also believe Sampson and CO will be upper classmen here. Once this group is upper classmen, if we bring in a legit 1 and done prospect we will be a scary team.   
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 04:29:14 PM by STJFAN »

desco80

« Reply #1459 on: January 11, 2013, 04:31:58 PM »
I think in the long run we'll be fine - because the truth is there aren't THAT many freshmen who get drafted every year, and we aren't recruiting at THAT high of a level yet.
We're not really touching that Top 15 area in the rankings.   And 9 or 10 freshmen got drafted last year, so what's that tell you?   Most years, our guys are going to probably have to return to school.

Every once in awhile one of our recruits may break out like Moe did, but I think more often than not you'll see our guys go pro sophomore or junior year.   
It's not like we're going to have a one and done every season.   

Even if we get Lawrence and Jordan... it's far from a guarantee they are one and done.  In fact, the chances are probably against it.  I'm sure they'd like to be, but Macadoo and Nash thought they were one and done too... and look who's back for their sophomore seasons.