• 1462 replies
Re: Jakarr Sampson - SF - Brewster Academy - Akron, OH - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #120 on: November 07, 2010, 11:15:31 PM »
[tweet]http://twitter.com/BrewsterHoops/status/1476795878608896[/tweet]

Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

kjd01067

« Reply #121 on: November 22, 2010, 11:40:18 AM »
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/recruiting/school/_/id/2599/page/onthetrail/class/2011

St. John's recruit and ESPNU 100 prospect Jakarr Sampson scored 16 points on 7-of-11 shooting and added 11 rebounds and six blocked shots on Sunday in Brewster Academy's 89-67 win over Princeton Day Academy (Md.) at the National Prep Showcase

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #122 on: November 22, 2010, 11:54:00 AM »
TAKEN FROM TWITTER

Draft Express:

Jakarr Sampson finished w/16 pts, 11 rbs, 6 blks. Kansas commit Naadir Tharpe was solid: 12 pts, 8 rbs, 10 ass, 5 TOs, 3 stls. #prepshowcase
10:31 AM Nov 21st via ÜberTwitter
Jakarr Sampson is a new-age 3/4 w/superb length & athleticism who can switch on everything & fills up the entire stat-sheet. #prepshowcase
9:49 AM Nov 21st via ÜberTwitter
Jakarr Sampson is not interested or really capable of being a big-time scorer, but he's an incredible asset to have on defense #prepshowcase
9:46 AM Nov 21st via ÜberTwitter
St. John's commit Jakarr Sampson on his way to a triple double in 1st half of last day of the National #PrepShowcase : 4 pts, 6 rbs, 5 blks

« Reply #123 on: November 22, 2010, 12:08:04 PM »
Everyone I talked to who was at Prep Showcase said similar things. He's super long, lanky, and athletic. Everyone says he's going to be a defensive nightmare.

His offensive game isn't polished from the outside and he's more a hustle point player right now.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #124 on: November 22, 2010, 12:41:49 PM »
On a certain level, this is a good thing - passing and defense will be badly needed on next year's squad.

Moose

« Reply #125 on: November 22, 2010, 01:23:59 PM »
On a certain level, this is a good thing - passing and defense will be badly needed on next year's squad.

He's a very unselfish player.  Almost to a fault.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #126 on: November 22, 2010, 08:02:12 PM »
Per Dave Telep (ESPN Recruiting).... 

Sampson was one of the top performers at the National Prep Showcase, according to Telep.

Jakarr Sampson (Akron, Ohio/Brewster)
2011, SF, 6-8, 200 pounds
He's heading home for the holiday break feeling good about his play. Sampson posted a double-double in his second game, a marked improvement both in production and energy from his first outing. The best way to describe his game begins with a discussion on his elite athleticism and closes with his propensity to stuff the stat sheet. The owner of an infectious smile, it won't take long for him to endear himself to the Red Storm fans.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/basketball/mens/news/story?id=5838184

« Reply #127 on: November 26, 2010, 01:51:56 PM »
Jakarr Sampson, 6-8, SF/PF, 2011, Brewster Academy
Committed to St. John's

Jonathan Givony

The most highly touted player in Steve Lavin's 2011 recruiting class at a resurging St. John's program, Jakarr Sampson (#22 Scout, #44 Rivals, #33 ESPN) showed both the good and the bad of his game this weekend in New Haven.

An incredibly long and athletic forward with prototypical physical tools for an NBA small forward, Sampson isn't terribly skilled at this point, but would be a useful player to have on any team's roster.

Sampson's best attributes as a prospect mainly revolve around his work on the defensive end. He has the lateral quickness to guard pretty much any position, and will regularly step out onto the perimeter and create havoc with his ability to put pressure on the ball. Sampson is an active, pesky defender who plays with great intensity, and likes to get his hands in all kinds of places to come up with extra possessions for his team. He has excellent timing getting in the passing lanes and rotating for blocked shots from the weak side, and has a knack for coming up with rebounds, particularly on the offensive glass.

Offensively, Sampson is still a work in progress, and seems to have both the skill-set and mentality of a complimentary player, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. He can handle the ball in transition a bit and will get to the rim on occasion thanks to his quick first step, but isn't much of a shot-creator and lacks the strength and footwork to take advantage of his superior size in mismatch situations in the post. To reach his full potential as a prospect, he'll need to improve on his perimeter shooting ability, starting with his shooting mechanics, which aren't very good. Sampson's experience level and overall feel for the game isn't off charts, but he's more than willing to make the extra pass and appears to be an excellent teammate.

Despite Sampson's lofty recruiting rankings, St. John's fans shouldn't look at him as being any kind of savior, as he's more of a terrific role player than a true go-to guy and might need some time to get his feet wet in the college game. Nevertheless, Sampson has considerable upside thanks to his physical tools and versatility, and could emerge as a very interesting prospect down the road if he continues to improve his all-around polish.

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com/article/2010-National-Prep-Showcase-Elite-2011-Prospects-3584/#ixzz16Pr4nKVc
http://www.draftexpress.com

« Reply #129 on: December 08, 2010, 05:38:23 PM »
Sampson opens up the video by dancing and clowning around....

Brewster Academy vs Rise Academy 2010-2011

« Reply #130 on: December 08, 2010, 09:32:56 PM »
brewster could beat us they look awesome their guards woud run around us and there bigger than we are. Jakar looks like he can get up quickly and i think he will be alright at the 4. he looks 2 inches taller than brownlee
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Marillac

« Reply #131 on: December 08, 2010, 11:20:02 PM »
brewster could beat us they look awesome their guards woud run around us and there bigger than we are. Jakar looks like he can get up quickly and i think he will be alright at the 4. he looks 2 inches taller than brownlee

Brewster's guards don't pass ever in these videos.  I see more assists from big to big than I do from the guards. 

« Reply #132 on: December 14, 2010, 06:39:18 PM »

« Reply #133 on: December 14, 2010, 07:58:45 PM »

Brewster's guards don't pass ever in these videos.  I see more assists from big to big than I do from the guards.
naadir tharpe had 10 assists in that game so they pass a bit

gonzalo

« Reply #134 on: December 15, 2010, 01:20:21 AM »

I think that some posters give too much importance on the 1-2 minutes videos.

Marillac

« Reply #135 on: December 15, 2010, 08:10:35 AM »

I think that some posters give too much importance on the 1-2 minutes videos.
When you've seen literally twenty of the videos it paints a clearer picture.  Tharpe looks for his shot in all the highlights when he has easy passes to wide open men under the basket.  It seems that when Tharpe does pass he drops it off to his right.  Tharpe looks really good, though.  I just wonder if he's a pure point.

« Reply #136 on: December 15, 2010, 09:30:41 AM »
When you've seen literally twenty of the videos it paints a clearer picture.  Tharpe looks for his shot in all the highlights when he has easy passes to wide open men under the basket.  It seems that when Tharpe does pass he drops it off to his right.  Tharpe looks really good, though.  I just wonder if he's a pure point.

Are you wondering, whether he's a pure point guard because you feel he looks for his shot often or missing guys open?  I think Tharpe does a heckuva job knowing where and what to do with the ball when using a screen.  Seems like he's been taught well.

By the way, some "pure point guards" are capable of scoring.

I like how quickly Sampson gets off the floor.  Long, agile kid.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 09:32:21 AM by mjdinkins »

Marillac

« Reply #137 on: December 15, 2010, 10:34:37 AM »

Are you wondering, whether he's a pure point guard because you feel he looks for his shot often or missing guys open?  I think Tharpe does a heckuva job knowing where and what to do with the ball when using a screen.  Seems like he's been taught well.

It's a highlight film so almost all the shots go in, but he routinely passes up wide open teammates to take off-balance or contested shots.  It's acceptable as a fifth year high school player, but it's not going to fly at Kansas.

I don't think just because a point guard has the ability to score that he is therefore not a point guard.  You seem to specialize in putting words in my mouth.  ;)  All I'm saying is that there should be an absurd amount of alley-oops to that freak of an athlete in every video.

« Reply #138 on: December 15, 2010, 11:48:04 AM »

It's a highlight film so almost all the shots go in, but he routinely passes up wide open teammates to take off-balance or contested shots.  It's acceptable as a fifth year high school player, but it's not going to fly at Kansas.

I don't think just because a point guard has the ability to score that he is therefore not a point guard.  You seem to specialize in putting words in my mouth.  ;)  All I'm saying is that there should be an absurd amount of alley-oops to that freak of an athlete in every video.

Maybe, he'll be able to play within the confines of what Kansas want.  Whether, he does or not....  That is now Kansas issue. 

Sometimes, it's not always easy to figure how where someone is going in their description via the internet.  No offense, but you've also been known to romanticize, so maybe I have jumped the gun a time or two with you.  No harm, no foul.  It's all good.

The "freak of an athlete" should get his chance a few times to catch alley-oops and swat shots when he's in Queens a season from now.   ;)

Marillac

« Reply #139 on: December 15, 2010, 01:10:42 PM »

Maybe, he'll be able to play within the confines of what Kansas want.  Whether, he does or not....  That is now Kansas issue. 

Sometimes, it's not always easy to figure how where someone is going in their description via the internet.  No offense, but you've also been known to romanticize, so maybe I have jumped the gun a time or two with you.  No harm, no foul.  It's all good.

The "freak of an athlete" should get his chance a few times to catch alley-oops and swat shots when he's in Queens a season from now.   ;)

Look at how many looks Amir Garrett gets from Nick Johnson and Kabango.  That's sort of what I'm talking about here.  It's just weird that the guards pass up so many easy assists.  But, hey, if it works for them....