Jakarr Sampson - SF - Brewster Academy - Akron, OH - ST. JOHN'S

• 1462 replies

Moose

Re: Jakarr Sampson - SF - Brewster Academy - Akron, OH - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #200 on: April 16, 2011, 12:13:20 PM »
FWIW, I spoke with his roommate and he said he's definitely going to St. John's next year.
He said he's really goofy, but has learned to become more serious on the court.

By roommate did you mean McGary?
Is he Big 10 or whatever its called now bound?
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #202 on: May 25, 2011, 04:07:50 PM »
I was really high on Sampson before the start of the season. Then sometime during the winter months i started to sour on him a bit. But his play the last couple months have me a huge believer of the kid. His play might be the most important of all the freshmen. If he can be a legitimate rebounder down low it would help our chances tremendously.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

DFF6

« Reply #203 on: May 25, 2011, 04:35:41 PM »
I was really high on Sampson before the start of the season. Then sometime during the winter months i started to sour on him a bit. But his play the last couple months have me a huge believer of the kid. His play might be the most important of all the freshmen. If he can be a legitimate rebounder down low it would help our chances tremendously.

Agree 100% with your assessment of Sampson, but I would love it if he hit the weight room religiously this summer and fall to get an extra 10 to 15 pounds of muscle.  He should probably car pool to the gym with GG and pick up a few pointers.  ;) 
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 04:36:03 PM by DFF6 »

« Reply #204 on: May 25, 2011, 04:46:16 PM »

Agree 100% with your assessment of Sampson, but I would love it if he hit the weight room religiously this summer and fall to get an extra 10 to 15 pounds of muscle.  He should probably car pool to the gym with GG and pick up a few pointers.  ;) 

speaking of pointers, Dom is one heck of a physical specimen. I think its pretty obvious he has NBA level athleticism and will have the strength. He will be an absolute bull on the college level.

If hes shot never comes to fruition than i could still see Dom being an elite level defensive player in the NBA. Ruben patterson esc.

DFF6

« Reply #205 on: May 25, 2011, 05:11:39 PM »

speaking of pointers, Dom is one heck of a physical specimen. I think its pretty obvious he has NBA level athleticism and will have the strength. He will be an absolute bull on the college level.

If hes shot never comes to fruition than i could still see Dom being an elite level defensive player in the NBA. Ruben patterson esc.

Not to get off Sampson on his own thread, but Dom is a beast.  Mo was really impressing me too the last few months until he injured his ankle.  I just like how fluid Mo's game looks.  He too could be a real special player for us.

« Reply #206 on: May 25, 2011, 05:20:32 PM »

Not to get off Sampson on his own thread, but Dom is a beast.  Mo was really impressing me too the last few months until he injured his ankle.  I just like how fluid Mo's game looks.  He too could be a real special player for us.

Yup all three are extremely exciting. then theres garret whos a combintion of all three. At one point I would love to see a lineup of.

Harkless
Pointer
Garret
sampson
Pelle

That would be a ridiculusly long lineup that could cause havoc on the floor.

DFF6

« Reply #207 on: May 25, 2011, 05:34:38 PM »

Yup all three are extremely exciting. then theres garret whos a combintion of all three. At one point I would love to see a lineup of.

Harkless
Pointer
Garret
sampson
Pelle

That's the shut down defensive lineup Lavin puts in toward the end of the game to hold onto a lead in the waning seconds

« Reply #208 on: May 25, 2011, 05:59:18 PM »

Harkless
Pointer
Garret
sampson
Pelle

That's the shut down defensive lineup Lavin puts in toward the end of the game to hold onto a lead in the waning seconds

You two are dreaming....  I wouldn't want those guys handling the ball against pressure defense or a press.  More than likely, that would the scenario by the opposition late in the game.

« Reply #209 on: May 25, 2011, 06:13:44 PM »
Our best guys to break the press last year was DJ and brownlee. I think these guys could handle getting the ball across the floor. I wouldnt suggest closing a close game with it however

DFF6

« Reply #210 on: May 25, 2011, 06:21:58 PM »
I guess we'll see..

« Reply #211 on: May 25, 2011, 09:47:40 PM »

Harkless
Pointer
Garret
sampson
Pelle

wth? who would play pg? lol

« Reply #212 on: May 25, 2011, 10:38:22 PM »

Harkless
Pointer
Garret
sampson
Pelle

wth? who would play pg? lol

some people have mentioned harkless bein able to hand the point in a pinch. Obviously this wouldnt be used for a large amount of time. I just think it would be ineresting to see

gman

« Reply #213 on: May 25, 2011, 11:23:36 PM »
Hasn't it been said amir could play point.

MCNPA

« Reply #214 on: June 01, 2011, 01:52:03 AM »
New video:

Jakarr Sampson St. John's Commit Season Recap (#31 in the nation)

I'm sorry folks, but I just can't help but get the feeling that we're going to be a bit better than people think we are even being "young" next season.  We just have sooo much more talent on the court.  Look at Jakarr's ferocious crossover mid-video and someone tell me how many PF's or even SF's in this league can stop it coming off the wing?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 02:00:07 AM by MCNPA »

« Reply #215 on: June 01, 2011, 08:43:09 AM »
I'm sorry folks, but I just can't help but get the feeling that we're going to be a bit better than people think we are even being "young" next season.  We just have sooo much more talent on the court.  Look at Jakarr's ferocious crossover mid-video and someone tell me how many PF's or even SF's in this league can stop it coming off the wing?

I, concur.

MCNPA

« Reply #216 on: June 01, 2011, 09:39:14 AM »

I, concur.

A little OT, bit it's funny but reading what other teams fans and recruiting pundits have to say about our recruits or ranking heading into next year is one of two things.  Great class, but it is more quantity over quality or that we have no "elite" guys in our class.  Ive seen a lot of these guys play.  I don't think Jakarr's game is all that far off from a kid like Michael Gilchrist.  In fact, both have similar attributes, and neither is a real perimeter scorer.  I don't think Dom Pointer would fare poorly against a guy like LeBryan Nash as both have eerily similar games.  Nash is slightly bigger, but not by much.  Compare a guy like Pelle to an "elite" guy like Birch or Christmas, and I actually like Pelle's upside.  Is Harkless really that far inferior to a kid like DeAndre Daniels?  Both have similar offensive games, with Daniels maybe having slightly better athleticism and more aggressiveness on D.  Both have that silky offensive game. 

I could go on, but I don't see the guys that SJU has coming in as being far inferior to many of these other kids.  SJU's kids just aren't labelled "elite" in the same way.  I frankly love how these other programs are voting us at the bottom of the league.  Regardless, I see us being able to do some damage and crack the top 6-10 in the BE this season.  These videos are just clips of what is to come.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 10:28:38 AM by MCNPA »

« Reply #217 on: June 01, 2011, 10:07:12 AM »
What MCNPA said....and then add in some guys who can score in bunches like Lindsey and Harrison in the backcourt, and then a defensive stopper like Garrett...

Team will really surprise people next year, but not without its ups and downs IMO.

Moose

« Reply #218 on: June 01, 2011, 10:45:56 AM »

I, concur.

A little OT, bit it's funny but reading what other teams fans and recruiting pundits have to say about our recruits or ranking heading into next year is one of two things.  Great class, but it is more quantity over quality or that we have no "elite" guys in our class.  Ive seen a lot of these guys play.  I don't think Jakarr's game is all that far off from a kid like Michael Gilchrist.  In fact, both have similar attributes, and neither is a real perimeter scorer.  I don't think Dom Pointer would fare poorly against a guy like LeBryan Nash as both have eerily similar games.  Nash is slightly bigger, but not by much.  Compare a guy like Pelle to an "elite" guy like Birch or Christmas, and I actually like Pelle's upside.  Is Harkless really that far inferior to a kid like DeAndre Daniels?  Both have similar offensive games, with Daniels maybe having slightly better athleticism and more aggressiveness on D.  Both have that silky offensive game. 

I could go on, but I don't see the guys that SJU has coming in as being far inferior to many of these other kids.  SJU's kids just aren't labelled "elite" in the same way.  I frankly love how these other programs are voting us at the bottom of the league.  Regardless, I see us being able to do some damage and crack the top 6-10 in the BE this season.  These videos are just clips of what is to come.

I agree and disagree in parts.  I think having quantity will help us next year at times when a certain player hits a wall.  We will have a variety of options and not be pigeonholed with hopes on one particular freshman.  However I do think that ratings are there for a reason and especially the Top 20-30 or so.  They are less likely to miss in that area than once you venture out of there.  Most of our guys are in the 30-50 I think and there could be misses there.  But misses are usually a mix of bad character and bad coaching and we should not be worried about either in our case.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #219 on: June 01, 2011, 11:19:53 AM »
New video:

Jakarr Sampson St. John's Commit Season Recap (#31 in the nation)

Nice video, but does he know how to dunk?