Jakarr Sampson - SF - Brewster Academy - Akron, OH - ST. JOHN'S

• 1462 replies

Moose

Re: Jakarr Sampson - SF - Brewster Academy - Akron, OH - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #220 on: June 01, 2011, 11:47:39 AM »
New video:

Jakarr Sampson St. John's Commit Season Recap (#31 in the nation)

I'm sorry folks, but I just can't help but get the feeling that we're going to be a bit better than people think we are even being "young" next season.  We just have sooo much more talent on the court.  Look at Jakarr's ferocious crossover mid-video and someone tell me how many PF's or even SF's in this league can stop it coming off the wing?

Nice video, but does he know how to dunk?

If your waiting for a compilation video of a recruit shooting FT's don't hold your breath :)
Remember who broke the Slice news

MCNPA

« Reply #221 on: June 01, 2011, 11:53:47 AM »
New video:

Jakarr Sampson St. John's Commit Season Recap (#31 in the nation)

I'm sorry folks, but I just can't help but get the feeling that we're going to be a bit better than people think we are even being "young" next season.  We just have sooo much more talent on the court.  Look at Jakarr's ferocious crossover mid-video and someone tell me how many PF's or even SF's in this league can stop it coming off the wing?

Nice video, but does he know how to dunk?

If your waiting for a compilation video of a recruit shooting FT's don't hold your breath :)

As silly as it may sound, Jakarr dunking does reveal that he has huge hands, which will be an asset handling the ball, finishing as well as getting rebounds.  As minimally important as it might seam, he has great one-handed control over the ball and it will help him moving forward.  I agree it doesn't tell all, but still fun to watch and some traits revealed.

« Reply #222 on: June 01, 2011, 12:00:33 PM »
as impressive as the dunks were. That crossover was nasty. If he develops a shot to go along with it his game would be scary.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #223 on: June 16, 2011, 02:07:34 PM »
Jakarr Sampson St. John's Bound 2010-2011 Highlights

I'm sure its been posted but its worth another look. Hes not just an athletic freak, jakarr shows some great quick moves in the post and it looks like he doesn't try to do to much with the ball. Seems very efficient to me.

The combination of Jakarr, Mo, Pointer, and Garrett is just ridiculous in terms of length and athleticism. Our press, zone, and open court game has the potential to be great.

« Reply #224 on: June 17, 2011, 07:42:12 AM »
We were lucky to get one of these guys in a class...can't wait for the season!
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #225 on: July 07, 2011, 03:14:21 PM »
Amir Garrett just tweeted he just got done working out with JaKarr!!!

JaKarr retweeted it, so if you were worried that JaKarr was not on campus don't be, he is there.

MCNPA

« Reply #226 on: July 07, 2011, 04:55:27 PM »
Amir Garrett just tweeted he just got done working out with JaKarr!!!

JaKarr retweeted it, so if you were worried that JaKarr was not on campus don't be, he is there.

Fantastic News.  It looks like we are just waiting on Pelle to finish his class at Rise and Nuri.  Nuri might not be there too early if he's not taking summer session classes so who knows.  Doubt there will be much of an issue there.

Marillac

« Reply #227 on: July 07, 2011, 05:01:37 PM »

I'm sure its been posted but its worth another look. Hes not just an athletic freak, jakarr shows some great quick moves in the post and it looks like he doesn't try to do to much with the ball. Seems very efficient to me.

The combination of Jakarr, Mo, Pointer, and Garrett is just ridiculous in terms of length and athleticism. Our press, zone, and open court game has the potential to be great.

How do you defend this kid  one-on-one when he faces up on the baseline?  Explosive quickness...if he can hit the short-corner jumper consistently, the only way to stop him there will be to double him or hope he gets out of control.  Remember Hakim Warrick?  Same size...impossibly fast first step.

« Reply #228 on: July 11, 2011, 01:17:59 AM »

How do you defend this kid  one-on-one when he faces up on the baseline?  Explosive quickness...if he can hit the short-corner jumper consistently, the only way to stop him there will be to double him or hope he gets out of control.  Remember Hakim Warrick?  Same size...impossibly fast first step.

Similar to the way you would defend Dwayne Polee. He doesn't hit consistent jumpers and if you play physical with him you might be able to out muscle him. How ever once he gets more comfortable with his outside game and gets stronger it will give other teams nightmares on how to stop him because he has gifts you cant teach
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 09:11:58 PM by jumpinjohnny »

Marillac

« Reply #229 on: July 11, 2011, 01:36:30 AM »
Sampson looks MUCH stronger and more skilled than Polee.  Polee was not a threat AT ALL inside like I expected.  He was so frail that alley-oops weren't even an option in there in spite of his amazing length and leaping ability.  A forearm to the side is all that it took to stop Polee inside. 

Sampson looks like he will go after rebounds ferociously and will throw it down on defenders that want to sit back and pack it in close to the basket. 

« Reply #230 on: July 11, 2011, 08:16:21 AM »
Nice body control. Like how he uses his body to create space. Can't wait to see what the staff does with this group!

Moose

« Reply #231 on: July 11, 2011, 08:46:24 AM »
Sampson looks MUCH stronger and more skilled than Polee.  Polee was not a threat AT ALL inside like I expected.  He was so frail that alley-oops weren't even an option in there in spite of his amazing length and leaping ability.  A forearm to the side is all that it took to stop Polee inside. 

Sampson looks like he will go after rebounds ferociously and will throw it down on defenders that want to sit back and pack it in close to the basket. 

When I first saw Sampson at a Showcase in New Haven the first thing I thought of was this was Polee after a few years of seasoning.  So he's already light years ahead of him.

« Reply #232 on: July 11, 2011, 12:37:02 PM »
Not to pile on Polee because I really liked him and wish he was still here but Sampson is already head and shoulders above him. Along with the videos, I got to see him at IS8 and he was the recruit I was most impressed with that day (Garrett and Pointer were also there). He's taller and longer than Polee and unlike Dwayne he is already a threat off the dribble at his size. He was dunking everything and was the first man down the floor on both sides of the ball. He has an incredible skill set for a guy that big

Marillac

« Reply #233 on: July 11, 2011, 03:29:17 PM »

When I first saw Sampson at a Showcase in New Haven the first thing I thought of was this was Polee after a few years of seasoning.  So he's already light years ahead of him.

Sampson is the reason Polee transferred, so it looks like Polee knew it as well.  Sampson surely looks more seasoned, but I am praying he is more aggressive.  It was frustrating watching Polee get thrown off the block with ease, and I can't believe he wasn't in there throwing down tomahawk putbacks or catching a few alleyoops with is natural abilities. 

I wish Dwayne stuck around, but he was really just an open court player as a freshman that could come up with a nifty drive or hanging midrange once in a while.  Last season was one of the worst offensive rebounding displays I've ever witnessed at St. John's.   I don't think Sampson and co. will continue that. 

« Reply #234 on: July 11, 2011, 04:09:12 PM »
I agree that he is further along then Polee but in this brutal conference he still needs to hit the weights hard and get a more consistent jumper. I love his potential and his game I just worry that he might have some problems in the half court this year

« Reply #235 on: July 11, 2011, 05:11:16 PM »
According to Amir Garrett's Twitter account, he and Jakarr are playing in The Chosen League tonight in Philly.

MCNPA

« Reply #236 on: July 11, 2011, 05:15:30 PM »
According to Amir Garrett's Twitter account, he and Jakarr are playing in The Chosen League tonight in Philly.

Wonder if Nuri is playing down there as well?

« Reply #237 on: July 11, 2011, 05:17:54 PM »
Jakarr is the recruit im most excited to see. It looks like he just needs a little more muscle

Marillac

« Reply #238 on: July 11, 2011, 05:44:30 PM »
I agree that he is further along then Polee but in this brutal conference he still needs to hit the weights hard and get a more consistent jumper. I love his potential and his game I just worry that he might have some problems in the half court this year

I agree.  I think we take our lumps in the halfcourt this year, but what I really like out of most of our guys are the angles they take and hustle they show hitting the offensive glass.  All you see in the Brewster videos is Sampson finding a way to the rim after a shot is hoisted b his teammate...Harkless as well.  Even Harrison is a stud rebounder for his position.  When we were at our best in the Postell era, we hit the glass relentlessly and created opportunity after opportunity. 

Sampson has the frame to be an absolute beast in two years if he puts in the time in the gym. 

Moose

« Reply #239 on: July 11, 2011, 09:08:21 PM »

Amir, Nuri and Jakarr from the Chosen League

http://yfrog.com/klr5wtjj