Jakarr Sampson - SF - Brewster Academy - Akron, OH - ST. JOHN'S

• 1462 replies

Marillac

Re: Jakarr Sampson - SF - Brewster Academy - Akron, OH - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #300 on: August 09, 2011, 03:46:33 PM »
Lavin already said this year would be the toughest job he's ever had to do.  I don't doubt it.  Great raw materials and rewards to be had if it can come together.  In the Big East, there is a fine line between disappointing year and a good one.  SJU could grab the 10th or 11th Big East bid into the tourney and be dancing.  Or 11 or 12 could be sitting at home.  I hope we can sneak into one of the bottom spots.  Not out of the question.

I think the Big East is a nine bid conference this year due to the perceived lackluster performance last year.  Also, the conferences that were down last year likely will be better.  I think we take some big lumps, but the SOS could be a savior once again.

If there is a borderline SJU team this season with a SOS ranked #1, which I'm pretty confident it will be, then it will make it tough for the NCAA committee to turn us down.  Not just us.  Teams like WVU, Notre Dame and maybe even Georgetown Nova I think we can creep ahead if we play well down the stretch.  It will be a brutal Big East again, but lots of those schools lost top players.  Not going to be easy for Georgetown without Wright and Freeman.  Those guys were their bread and butter.  Notre Dame without Hansbrough, Carleton Scott, Nash etc..  We will struggle for sure, but with our SOS and RPI I'm hoping we can sneak one of those lower spots into the NCAA's.  We'll see.  Our league just needs to do what we have been and win our OOC games...
Why not us? Why cant we be good? I dont think we will be a top Big East team but plenty of teams have had a loaded freshman class and have faced success. No doubt we take our lumps and growing pains but i'm more interested to see this team in late Feb and March rather then November. At the end of the year we can be very dangerous

I'm not saying we can't be good.  Freshman usually play ugly and make a ton of mistakes.  I expect to take some lumps.  It's hard to say with a group this deep and talented.  The country has never seen anything like this class.  The thing is we don't have top 20 talent...surefire first rounders.  I think Notre dame will be way better than what anyone on this board is predicting.  There is just no way in my mind that we come close to their overall record next seson.  Experience is huge in the NCAA.

I'll say this, though...if we can slide into the NCAA Tournament somehow, I think we are very dangerous team with nothing to lose.

« Reply #301 on: August 09, 2011, 04:56:31 PM »
Lavin already said this year would be the toughest job he's ever had to do.  I don't doubt it.  Great raw materials and rewards to be had if it can come together.  In the Big East, there is a fine line between disappointing year and a good one.  SJU could grab the 10th or 11th Big East bid into the tourney and be dancing.  Or 11 or 12 could be sitting at home.  I hope we can sneak into one of the bottom spots.  Not out of the question.

I think the Big East is a nine bid conference this year due to the perceived lackluster performance last year.  Also, the conferences that were down last year likely will be better.  I think we take some big lumps, but the SOS could be a savior once again.

If there is a borderline SJU team this season with a SOS ranked #1, which I'm pretty confident it will be, then it will make it tough for the NCAA committee to turn us down.  Not just us.  Teams like WVU, Notre Dame and maybe even Georgetown Nova I think we can creep ahead if we play well down the stretch.  It will be a brutal Big East again, but lots of those schools lost top players.  Not going to be easy for Georgetown without Wright and Freeman.  Those guys were their bread and butter.  Notre Dame without Hansbrough, Carleton Scott, Nash etc..  We will struggle for sure, but with our SOS and RPI I'm hoping we can sneak one of those lower spots into the NCAA's.  We'll see.  Our league just needs to do what we have been and win our OOC games...
Why not us? Why cant we be good? I dont think we will be a top Big East team but plenty of teams have had a loaded freshman class and have faced success. No doubt we take our lumps and growing pains but i'm more interested to see this team in late Feb and March rather then November. At the end of the year we can be very dangerous

I'm not saying we can't be good.  Freshman usually play ugly and make a ton of mistakes.  I expect to take some lumps.  It's hard to say with a group this deep and talented.  The country has never seen anything like this class.  The thing is we don't have top 20 talent...surefire first rounders.  I think Notre dame will be way better than what anyone on this board is predicting.  There is just no way in my mind that we come close to their overall record next seson.  Experience is huge in the NCAA.

I'll say this, though...if we can slide into the NCAA Tournament somehow, I think we are very dangerous team with nothing to lose.
I wasn't disagreeing with your post it was more of a general statement. I dont expect everyone to catch on right away but as of now I have faith in us having a successful year until i'm proven otherwise

crgreen

« Reply #302 on: August 09, 2011, 08:18:23 PM »

I wasn't disagreeing with your post it was more of a general statement. I dont expect everyone to catch on right away but as of now I have faith in us having a successful year until i'm proven otherwise

I believe this kind of thinking undervalues our coaching staff.  I think it's true the normal heavily frosh laden teams have serious issues and struggle.  However,  Coach Lavin has experience  - his 2nd team had an all frosh backcourt - Baron Davis and Earl Watson.  His second team had an all soph backcourt, and an all frosh frontcourt, with frosh as his 6th and 7th men, and sophs as his 8th-10th men.  (Dan Gadzuric, JaRon Rush and Jerome Moiso were the starting frontcourt.  Matt Barnes backed up the forward spots, Ray young the guard spots.   Sophs Billy Knight, Rico Hines and Trevor Reed were the bench.

Each of those teams won 21 plus games, and made the dance.

And that's not including that these frosh are going to be subjected to Mike Dunlap from the get-go.  And a Hall of Fame coach in Gene Keady will be advising on integrating these kids.  And Rico Hines will be whipping them into shape.

I think this team will gel early, and truly be a force by midseason.

« Reply #303 on: September 20, 2011, 05:43:34 PM »
Well, this sucks.

Jeff Borzello
JaKarr Sampson's former AAU coach, Don Anderson, confirmed that Sampson indeed decommitted from St. John's and reopened his recruitment.

« Reply #304 on: September 20, 2011, 05:49:12 PM »
why decommit.....why not just take your 3 classes and get ready to play in dec. this kid is an idiot. those other 2 better qualify and be here on dec 19

« Reply #305 on: September 20, 2011, 05:51:14 PM »
What a shitty week for #stjbb.

« Reply #306 on: September 20, 2011, 05:52:50 PM »
why decommit.....why not just take your 3 classes and get ready to play in dec. this kid is an idiot. those other 2 better qualify and be here on dec 19
well, that confirms it. AAU coach slipped up the first day and spilled the beans, tried to take it back.  But it was true.  Usually this spells doom, although in a few cases guys stick with their commit school. I'd say close to only 5-10% of the time.  I hope JaKarr comes here again, but I would not bet on it.

« Reply #307 on: September 20, 2011, 05:56:47 PM »
well, that confirms it. AAU coach slipped up the first day and spilled the beans, tried to take it back.  But it was true.  Usually this spells doom, although in a few cases guys stick with their commit school. I'd say close to only 5-10% of the time.  I hope JaKarr comes here again, but I would not bet on it.

Didn't Ledo recommit to Providence after opening up his recruitment or was that situation different from this?

« Reply #308 on: September 20, 2011, 06:00:36 PM »

Didn't Ledo recommit to Providence after opening up his recruitment or was that situation different from this?
Well, nothing caused the decommit except allegedly telling mom about his Providence "good time."  Even so, we could generously put him in that 5-10% case, as with Nick Faust, who went back with Turge. 

But in most cases the guys who transfer at least once in HS, do so twice as much chance in college, as well as decommit one time, ala Luke Winn's SI piece.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 06:01:37 PM by bball purist »

Sampson decommits.....
« Reply #309 on: September 20, 2011, 06:02:13 PM »
Just got the news on another site.......
The Big East needs a strong SJU program!

paultzman

« Reply #310 on: September 20, 2011, 06:10:18 PM »
For what it's worth, it appears that Garrett is likely the only one of the three to be passionate about coming here. Don't shoot the messenger, simply sharing what a donor friend told me. IMHO Pelle has always been a bit mercurial and never gave me a sense of comfort re: his commitment.

Coach Lavin sure has his work cut out for him, with all that's going on, but he is a committed guy with a great staff, who will just need a little more time than we hoped to turn this program around. More importantly, I hope his treatment results are positive and none of these challenges complicate that. Things can only get better fellas.

ras

« Reply #311 on: September 20, 2011, 06:18:07 PM »
Lately, everyday brings bad news. Im afraid to check JJ tomorow. I still,however have faith in Lavin.

« Reply #312 on: September 20, 2011, 06:21:35 PM »
For what it's worth, it appears that Garrett is likely the only one of the three to be passionate about coming here. Don't shoot the messenger, simply sharing what a donor friend told me. IMHO Pelle has always been a bit mercurial and never gave me a sense of comfort re: his commitment.

Coach Lavin sure has his work cut out for him, with all that's going on, but he is a committed guy with a great staff, who will just need a little more time than we hoped to turn this program around. More importantly, I hope his treatment results are positive and none of these challenges complicate that. Things can only get better fellas.
I wonder if Lavs and co. get involved with some guys who are still open, like Parker, Upshaw or J. James, now that they'd know C position is wide open for PT.  It would be late in the game, but I would never count this staff out when they may have some time to make up ground.  the timing isn't great, but it's still possible if they hurry.

« Reply #313 on: September 20, 2011, 06:27:41 PM »
Way to hang in there jakar, lol what a joke. Might be better off if thats the way he handles adversity. Seems to me that Amir is a stand up kid

Wods317

« Reply #314 on: September 20, 2011, 07:59:39 PM »
I'm sorry because I know these guys are just kids but this is ridiculous. The kid doesn't get his work done and then leaves us high and dry when he could just commit himself to school for the fall and be back in December. This is a very selfish move on his part.

« Reply #315 on: September 20, 2011, 08:04:41 PM »
I'm sorry because I know these guys are just kids but this is ridiculous. The kid doesn't get his work done and then leaves us high and dry when he could just commit himself to school for the fall and be back in December. This is a very selfish move on his part.
When do commitments "really" mean commitments in today's world? Sad but true, but it's a dwindling, fading notion in society in general. 

« Reply #316 on: September 20, 2011, 08:27:07 PM »
Sampson is well advised and this is what he should do. What if Lavin and St. John's went another route and recruited someone else for next year instead of him? He'd be left screwed.

It's a 2 way street. Maybe he ends up at St. John's in December, September, or maybe somewhere else. It happens don't get hung up on it.

I hope JaKarr gets his academics in order and continues to see success on the court. He's a really nice kid and deserves the best.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #317 on: September 20, 2011, 08:37:55 PM »
Dave, decent point however if that was the case why come here with 4 other wings in the first place?

« Reply #318 on: September 20, 2011, 08:44:14 PM »
Sampson is well advised and this is what he should do. What if Lavin and St. John's went another route and recruited someone else for next year instead of him? He'd be left screwed.

It's a 2 way street. Maybe he ends up at St. John's in December, September, or maybe somewhere else. It happens don't get hung up on it.

I hope JaKarr gets his academics in order and continues to see success on the court. He's a really nice kid and deserves the best.
That's the hard part.  All of the guys are likeable with good personalities.  I only wish for all players that their academic futures were more actively monitored and guided by the 2A in a more preemptive manner.  This last minute stuff has been nonsense from the beginning of time, it just hurts to see 3 of the guys go through it at once.

« Reply #319 on: September 20, 2011, 08:48:09 PM »
Bad news keeps rolling in. Hopefully he comes back it would really suck to lose him a great player and person. Also if he signed his letter of intent, how can he decommit is it because he failed to qualify?