Jakarr Sampson - SF - Brewster Academy - Akron, OH - ST. JOHN'S

• 1462 replies

Moose

Re: Jakarr Sampson - SF - Brewster Academy - Akron, OH
« Reply #360 on: September 27, 2011, 10:53:29 AM »
To get back on topic, I'd be pisses if Jakarr ends up picking another big east school like Providence.   It's not like Lavin spurned Jakarr ala Jim Calhoun spurning Harkless.  Lavi. Was committed to getting Jakarr in here and being part of the close-knit group we were trying to build.

I forget, how did Calhoun spurn Harkless?

He brought in a guy or two after his verbal last year.  The German guy I think.  And some other one.

So Harkless decommiting after another guy or two commit too makes it Calhoun spurning Harkless (if thats the real or main reason he decommited). Yet people were ripping Sampson that maybe hes opening up his commitment again because of Gathers and competition. You cant have it both ways.

Moose im not talking about you, im just talking about people on this site in general.

Thank you for clarifying your post was not directed at me.

Its a little different though.  From what I recall Moe was committed and Calhoun brought in one or two other guys to arrive on campus before him.  With Jakarr thats not the case as Gathers is coming either with him or after him.  But it sounds like MCN has a different angle.  I just recall the commitments and Giffey and someone else changing things for Moe.
Remember who broke the Slice news

NYCoffey

« Reply #361 on: September 27, 2011, 10:57:28 AM »
Didn't Harkless decommit after there was an investigation into Connecticut. I thought this played a big role into why he reopened his recruitment.

« Reply #362 on: September 27, 2011, 11:20:12 AM »
and I think one particular poster here referred to BEB as a sewer...

War's over.
You lost.
Deal.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

Moose

« Reply #363 on: September 27, 2011, 11:29:27 AM »
Didn't Harkless decommit after there was an investigation into Connecticut. I thought this played a big role into why he reopened his recruitment.

Forgot about that.  Primarily because it was a wrist slap which is why it went over my head.
Remember who broke the Slice news

pmg911

« Reply #364 on: September 27, 2011, 11:57:32 AM »
Choz - the international man of mystery - there never was a war with me.

Blessed are those who have been persecuted for the sake of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven

« Reply #365 on: September 27, 2011, 12:05:35 PM »
Cincinnati, Kentucky, and NC State will check out Brewster trio including Jakarr Sampson today per The Recruit Scoop.

NYCoffey

« Reply #366 on: September 27, 2011, 12:21:56 PM »
New article on Scout. Im not  a subscriber so not sure if there is anything new in it.

http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=2&c=1111114&ssf=1&RequestedURL=http%3a%2f%2fscouthoops.scout.com%2f2%2f1111114.html

« Reply #367 on: September 27, 2011, 12:42:43 PM »
New article on Scout. Im not  a subscriber so not sure if there is anything new in it.

http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=2&c=1111114&ssf=1&RequestedURL=http%3a%2f%2fscouthoops.scout.com%2f2%2f1111114.html
Just that if you believe his coach at Brewster he is much improved over last year with his recruitment wide open and ST J still an option although Dec is highly unlikely cause Brewster is on a trimester system.

NYCoffey

« Reply #368 on: September 27, 2011, 01:12:02 PM »

I am seeing some articles that have Sampson playing for Brewster this year. Does this mean that he is definitely not going to be able to be eligible in December wherever he decides to go?

MCNPA

« Reply #369 on: September 27, 2011, 01:13:23 PM »
To get back on topic, I'd be pisses if Jakarr ends up picking another big east school like Providence.   It's not like Lavin spurned Jakarr ala Jim Calhoun spurning Harkless.  Lavi. Was committed to getting Jakarr in here and being part of the close-knit group we were trying to build.

I forget, how did Calhoun spurn Harkless?

I think many if the Uconn fans said that Calhoun fell off from contacting Harkless etc.  Don't remember exactly though. 

He brought in a guy or two after his verbal last year.  The German guy I think.  And some other one.

Uconn fans say it was a bit more than that even from the pieces I remember. 

Can you expand?

« Reply #370 on: September 27, 2011, 02:02:50 PM »

I am seeing some articles that have Sampson playing for Brewster this year. Does this mean that he is definitely not going to be able to be eligible in December wherever he decides to go?
Brewster coach says it will be difficult as they have a trimester system.

« Reply #371 on: September 27, 2011, 02:09:00 PM »
Mike Dunlap will be visiting with Sampson tomorrow as will a Pitt assistant coach.

« Reply #372 on: September 27, 2011, 02:22:10 PM »
Mike Dunlap will be visiting with Sampson tomorrow as will a Pitt assistant coach.

not very often that we hear of Dunlap on recruiting visits.  this is interesting...

« Reply #373 on: September 28, 2011, 07:52:00 AM »
Sampson official visit to Baylor this weekend per Brewster Hoops twitter.

« Reply #374 on: September 28, 2011, 11:15:59 AM »

not very often that we hear of Dunlap on recruiting visits.  this is interesting...
If my memory serves me correctly, I recall (and I'm sure one of you will confirm) that coach Dunlap surprised some last year when it was posted on JJ and Redmen that he was impressing some recruits to the point where he had big influence in coach's "gang-tackling" approach. I'm not sure if JaKarr is one of the players who mentioned him back then.

« Reply #375 on: October 03, 2011, 03:01:04 PM »
Jason Smith
#Brewster forward @KarrSampson14 will host #Baylor coach Scott Drew, #StJohn's coach Steve Lavin, and #Providence coach Ed Cooley this week.

The fact that Lavin closed once on this kid makes me confident that he'll do it again. And I know Jakarr hasn't seemed as committed as coming back to St. John's as Amir and Norvel, but if Lavin is still invested in this kid, I don't think we should turn our back on him on this board.

« Reply #376 on: October 03, 2011, 03:48:52 PM »
Jason Smith
#Brewster forward @KarrSampson14 will host #Baylor coach Scott Drew, #StJohn's coach Steve Lavin, and #Providence coach Ed Cooley this week.

The fact that Lavin closed once on this kid makes me confident that he'll do it again. And I know Jakarr hasn't seemed as committed as coming back to St. John's as Amir and Norvel, but if Lavin is still invested in this kid, I don't think we should turn our back on him on this board.
If JaKarr was not serious about considering coming back, Coach would not be pulling the Ark into port  ;D  And if he gets the feeling he has no intention of coming back, he will quickly move on.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 03:50:07 PM by bball purist »

« Reply #377 on: October 03, 2011, 04:20:34 PM »
Jason Smith

If JaKarr was not serious about considering coming back, Coach would not be pulling the Ark into port  ;D  And if he gets the feeling he has no intention of coming back, he will quickly move on.

Agreed.  It also goes to show that even if it is for 2012 rather then 2011 JaKarr is better then the other realistic options for SJU at this point. 

« Reply #378 on: October 03, 2011, 06:16:10 PM »
Jason Smith

Agreed.  It also goes to show that even if it is for 2012 rather then 2011 JaKarr is better then the other realistic options for SJU at this point.
A terrific fit is a terrific fit, regardless of class year.  I have no doubt JaKarr will thrive in the system, and it will enhance his chances to get 2 the pros.  If he were not to choose SJ's, I hope he chooses wisely because the grass isn't always greener...

« Reply #379 on: October 04, 2011, 09:45:33 PM »
More than willing to accept Jakarr back with open arms! The prodigal son returns? :)