Jakarr Sampson - SF - Brewster Academy - Akron, OH - ST. JOHN'S

• 1462 replies
Re: Jakarr Sampson - SF - Brewster Academy - Akron, OH
« Reply #440 on: November 20, 2011, 09:39:03 PM »
Brewster Academy (NH) 95, Massanutten Military Academy (VA) 65

St. John’s head coach Steve Lavin and Providence head coach Ed Cooley were both in the building for this one, as was and NBA scout to see Mitch McGary. Massanutten was able to keep it close against the loaded Brewster squad, staying in a 2-3 zone and forcing Brewster to slow down their tempo. Massanutten got a great first half out of point guard Bryan Harris, who nailed four threes. After leading 48-33 at halftime, Brewster began to pull away towards the middle of the second half, capped off by a thunderous dunk by TJ Warren with five minutes to go that seemed to have taken all the wind out of Massanutten’s sails. Xavier-commit Semaj Christon had 18 points and once again controlled the tempo of the game, TJ Warren showed off his deep offensive arsenal by scoring a game-high 22 points, and Jakarr Sampson dominated around the rim on his way to 20 points. Brewster shot 67% from the floor in this one.

http://www.newenglandrecruitingreport.com/news/article/2278/National-Prep-Showcase-Day-3-Recap.php

« Reply #441 on: November 21, 2011, 02:59:43 PM »
TheRecruitScoop Alex Kline
Former St. John's signee Jakarr Sampson, a 2012 SF from Brewster (NH), is taking an unofficial visit to Pitt today, per his coach.

NYCoffey

« Reply #442 on: November 22, 2011, 11:17:37 AM »
JAKARR SAMPSON RECRUITING UPDATE

November 22, 2011 by NBE Blogger · Leave a Comment

Fresh off a strong performance over the weekend at the National Prep Showcase, Brewster Academy forward JaKarr Sampson easily made the list of 2011 National Prep Showcase Top Performers compiled by NBE’s National Recruiting Analyst Brian Bosworth. The 6-foot-8, 205-pound forward is a long and skilled specimen who made countless plays in and around the paint as Brewster defeated Fishburn Military Academy (91-75 on Sat) and Massanutten Military Academy (95-65 on Sun).

Sampson scored 20 points in each contest showing that he loves to face up after catching in the post at which point his first step is too quick for helpless defenders. Brewster Academy coach Jason Smith said this is an area that Sampson has improved upon in the last year.

“JaKarr has gotten stronger and has really improved his ball-handling, specifically his first step,” said Smith. “He has a very explosive first step, which allows him to beat a lot of forwards off the dribble.”

Sampson is also able to defend the rim with his supreme athleticism. One high-major college coach compared Sampson over the weekend to former UNLV star Stacy Augman, and listening to coach Smith describe and project Sampson that comparison definitely holds water.

“JaKarr is a hybrid forward,” said Smith. “He’s a match-up problem for a lot of people due to his explosive athleticism and quickness. In a year or two, JaKarr can become an elite level defender in college.”

Formerly committed to St. John’s in the 2011 class before being ruled ineligible Sampson has re-opened his recruitment and is one of the elite members of the 2012 class still left on the board and high majors are going to be fighting for his services all year. He told NBE over the weekend he now has a list of Kansas, Pittsburgh, Louisville, Providence, Baylor, Miami, and St. John’s remains in the mix. Coach Smith also mentioned Florida as a school they are hearing from in the recruiting process.

After the Naitonal Prep Showcase Sampson flew home to Ohio and took the opportunity of some downtime to go check out one of the schools on his list for an unofficial visit according to his coach.

“JaKarr flew home on Sunday for the Thanksgiving break,” said Smith. “He’s scheduled to drive to Pittsburgh for an unofficial visit. Pitt is one of many schools showing interest in JaKarr.”

After opting not to sign a letter of intent in the early signing period it is certain JaKarr Sampson will be a hotly contested recruit for many programs in the spring signing period for the Class of 2012. It is expected Sampson will take his time in the process and in the meantime he will hone his skills under Coach Smith at Brewster. This is his second season in the Brewster program and will play for a team that will content for a NEPSAC and National Prep title this season. We will closely follow the recruitment of Sampson and the season of Brewster as it promises to be an interesting storyline throughout the season.

http://www.nbebasketball.com/w3/2011-1122/jakarr-sampson-recruiting-update/

sju89tr

« Reply #443 on: November 22, 2011, 11:32:55 AM »
I truly believe the Brewster coach uses his players for his own benefit down the line.

« Reply #444 on: November 22, 2011, 11:57:27 AM »
I truly believe the Brewster coach uses his players for his own benefit down the line.

It surely seems that way.

« Reply #445 on: November 22, 2011, 11:58:35 AM »
If it turns out to be the case, I would say Self calls in a favor to help him land an asst gig somewhere.  KU is loaded with experience of course, down to its DoBO.  It's definitely a business of relationships, so let's see how this plays out.  JaKarr can now pick wherever he wants and get solid PT his frosh year, but I still believe coming back with the guys and playing the 3 with RG prolly still coming in at the 4 could make the squad top 15 solid for '12-'13..

sju89tr

« Reply #446 on: November 22, 2011, 12:15:45 PM »
If it turns out to be the case, I would say Self calls in a favor to help him land an asst gig somewhere.  KU is loaded with experience of course, down to its DoBO.  It's definitely a business of relationships, so let's see how this plays out.  JaKarr can now pick wherever he wants and get solid PT his frosh year, but I still believe coming back with the guys and playing the 3 with RG prolly still coming in at the 4 could make the squad top 15 solid for '12-'13..

Well it appears to me that is where Brewster wants him to go from what I heard. Smith is just way too gung ho about the recruiting process.. He tweets about it 100 times a day. Jakarr based on his comments a few days ago seems like he is still emotionally invested in St Johns and his friends on the team. 

MCNPA

« Reply #447 on: November 22, 2011, 01:45:44 PM »

Well it appears to me that is where Brewster wants him to go from what I heard. Smith is just way too gung ho about the recruiting process.. He tweets about it 100 times a day. Jakarr based on his comments a few days ago seems like he is still emotionally invested in St Johns and his friends on the team.

Let's just hope Jakarr is his own man and follow through to the place he committed to originally.   He's got everything he needs here at SJU including his buddies already on the team and a coaching staff he's comfortable with.  I wouldn't read too much into him taking some recruiting visits.  Still think we're probably pretty strong with him.

pmg911

« Reply #448 on: November 22, 2011, 03:17:14 PM »
The coach at Brewster played hard ball with JaKar and the entire coaching community knows it.

Hopefully the kids gets his grades in order this year and can easily make his own decisions about where to attend.

« Reply #449 on: November 22, 2011, 03:37:52 PM »
The coach at Brewster played hard ball with JaKar and the entire coaching community knows it.

Hopefully the kids gets his grades in order this year and can easily make his own decisions about where to attend.
Yes - between Anderson and Smith, it's a 3 ring circus in the media.  But we all know Self is pressing.  He can coach his way out of a light class for 2012, but he's got some pie on his face right now.  I predict he'll snag two top 100's for 2012 when all is said and done.

And to me, such a no brainer for JaKarr to still come to SJ's.  MSG will always be THE place to play some ball.  Just listening to Bob Knight tell his Indiana stories about coming in to play at MSG the other night was something every SJ's recruit should hear. 
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 03:40:46 PM by bball purist »

NYCoffey

« Reply #450 on: November 28, 2011, 04:05:58 PM »
I saw on Evan Daniels twitter that they have a new article about Jakarr Sampson on Scout. I'm on a crappy blackberry so I can't post the link. If anyone has access to see if there's anything new in there it would be much appreciated.

Moose

« Reply #451 on: November 28, 2011, 04:20:12 PM »
I saw on Evan Daniels twitter that they have a new article about Jakarr Sampson on Scout. I'm on a crappy blackberry so I can't post the link. If anyone has access to see if there's anything new in there it would be much appreciated.

Don't have sub but title is that recruitment is taking off and he's adding offers.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #452 on: November 28, 2011, 04:55:06 PM »
“It has been even crazier,” explained Sampson. “Texas is the latest school to get involved in my recruitment. It has just gotten a lot crazier.”

He continued, “Mostly it is the same school, but right now my list is Baylor, Texas, Louisville, Pittsburgh, Kansas, Providence, Florida, and St. John’s.”

At the National Prep Showcase, St. John’s boss Steve Lavin was there both days Brewster was playing in an effort to get Sampson back in the fold.

“I’m real close with everybody at St. John’s,” said Sampson. “I am real close with Coach Lavin and all of the players there. I thought I was going to be there, and formed a lot of relationships. The relationship is still real good with St. John’s.”

http://scouthoops.scout.com/

mkras99

« Reply #453 on: November 28, 2011, 07:57:15 PM »
Just can't imagine him coming to St. John's.  Kid's list seems to be growing, rather than shrinking, which can't be good for us.

Poison

« Reply #454 on: November 28, 2011, 08:05:27 PM »
If the relationship is still "real good" do you back out of your commitment?

« Reply #455 on: November 30, 2011, 09:12:29 AM »
Just can't imagine him coming to St. John's.  Kid's list seems to be growing, rather than shrinking, which can't be good for us.
Everyone used to be so optimistic about our recruiting under Lavin. Now with positive statements by Jakarr and coach being able to get a committment last year from him you state you can't imagine us getting him again. Why has optimism been replaced by pessimism?

mkras99

« Reply #456 on: November 30, 2011, 10:35:19 AM »
Everyone used to be so optimistic about our recruiting under Lavin. Now with positive statements by Jakarr and coach being able to get a committment last year from him you state you can't imagine us getting him again. Why has optimism been replaced by pessimism?

Not pessimism, realism.  Kid decommitted, his coach is pushing him elsewhere and his list is growing, not shrinking.

« Reply #457 on: November 30, 2011, 12:37:13 PM »
He de-committed but still has us on his list and stated positives about our coach and players and his relationships with them. He would not be the first kid to RECOMMIT! shurinaCheese has not been heard from in awhile but I know he is probably even more pessimistic than you.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 12:40:22 PM by Celtics11 »

Gumby

« Reply #458 on: November 30, 2011, 11:44:38 PM »
I am not sure if pessimism or optimism are the key words involving whether Jakarr ever recommits to us.

I think Jakarr, Norvel, Ricardo, and all other potential recruits are all concerned about Coach Lavin's health.  And they should be!  We all are.

I think all potential St. John's recruits are in a "wait and see" holding pattern.  When Coach regains his stamina and gets back to coaching full time, these recruits and others will then begin sizing us up again. 

Poison

« Reply #459 on: November 30, 2011, 11:49:34 PM »
I am not sure if pessimism or optimism are the key words involving whether Jakarr ever recommits to us.

I think Jakarr, Norvel, Ricardo, and all other potential recruits are all concerned about Coach Lavin's health.  And they should be!  We all are.

I think all potential St. John's recruits are in a "wait and see" holding pattern.  When Coach regains his stamina and gets
back to coaching full time, these recruits and others will then begin sizing us up again. 

If that is really the reason these players have dropped us, I find that to be a rather poor showing in the character department. At least Garrett is a man about his commitment.