Jakarr Sampson - SF - Brewster Academy - Akron, OH - ST. JOHN'S

• 1462 replies

Gumby

Re: Jakarr Sampson - SF - Brewster Academy - Akron, OH
« Reply #460 on: November 30, 2011, 11:57:18 PM »
I am not sure what the reasons were for the three recruits dropping us. Only they know for sure. However,  I do feel that Coach's present health issues are factors that these three players (and other recruits) are watching.

« Reply #461 on: December 01, 2011, 07:35:39 AM »
I am not sure if pessimism or optimism are the key words involving whether Jakarr ever recommits to us.

I think Jakarr, Norvel, Ricardo, and all other potential recruits are all concerned about Coach Lavin's health.  And they should be!  We all are.

I think all potential St. John's recruits are in a "wait and see" holding pattern.  When Coach regains his stamina and gets
back to coaching full time, these recruits and others will then begin sizing us up again. 

If that is really the reason these players have dropped us, I find that to be a rather poor showing in the character department. At least Garrett is a man about his commitment.

Completely agree with that poison.  Here the coach is going through a recoup period and he has to worry about these --------------- coming or not.  Lets just say that character is not one of their strong points.  If I were coach,  i would recruit around them.  What are they going to do when the going gets tough at times, jump ship?

Poison

« Reply #462 on: December 01, 2011, 10:24:22 AM »
I am not sure what the reasons were for the three recruits dropping us. Only they know for sure. However,  I do feel that Coach's present health issues are factors that these three players (and other recruits) are watching.

Do these kids no the difference between Prostate cancer and bone cancer? I wonder?

Tha Kid

« Reply #463 on: December 01, 2011, 10:26:34 AM »
Poison, is everyone who commits to a school and later decommits someone who has poor character?  Would you include Harkless in that group, who verbally committed to UConn, and then decommitted and verbally committed to us?

It's rhetorical.  Grow up for once.
"I drink and I know things"

Poison

« Reply #464 on: December 01, 2011, 10:35:54 AM »
Poison, is everyone who commits to a school and later decommits someone who has poor character?  Would you include Harkless in that group, who verbally committed to UConn, and then decommitted and verbally committed to us?

Grow up? LOL. So because I don't agree with you I need to grow up? Do I have to school you again? It's getting old. 3 players dropped us. Not one. It's a fair assumption to believe that Lavin's health is the reason why.

« Reply #465 on: December 01, 2011, 10:43:36 AM »
Or it might be the mass exodus of Big East schools

Poison

« Reply #466 on: December 01, 2011, 10:49:43 AM »

I don't think that's it. If anything, the BE needs another 4 schools to leave. I'd love it if a total of 7 left. Play everyone twice. The BE commissioner ruined the conference when he added all of those schools from the Midwest. It was a senseless decision.

DFF6

« Reply #467 on: December 01, 2011, 11:35:36 AM »

I don't think that's it. If anything, the BE needs another 4 schools to leave. I'd love it if a total of 7 left. Play everyone twice. The BE commissioner ruined the conference when he added all of those schools from the Midwest. It was a senseless decision.

It's all speculation as to what weight the recent developments at St. John's/Lavin's health and the mess that BE has recently become have had on recruits' preception of SJU's program.  I think it's safe to say that all factors have been used by competing schools as a means of frustrating the recruiting efforts of Lavin & co., and it may mean that our collective expectations of recruiting success needs to be downwardly adjusted going forward.

Poison

« Reply #468 on: December 01, 2011, 12:14:45 PM »
If Syracuse & Pitt were to blame for our recruits dropping us, then we should be able to point to other schoos who are experiencing the same thing. Have any?

Tha Kid

« Reply #469 on: December 01, 2011, 01:19:14 PM »
Poison, I don't dispute that Lavin's health might be why.  I'm criticizing you judging 18 yr olds' character by them decommitting.  You're criticizing Harkless too, in that case.
"I drink and I know things"

DFF6

« Reply #470 on: December 01, 2011, 01:20:12 PM »
If Syracuse & Pitt were to blame for our recruits dropping us, then we should be able to point to other schoos who are experiencing the same thing. Have any?

I don't think it a fair to compare the recruiting situation of SJU with other schools, mainly because SJU's recruiting situation this past year went from being a joke to the 3rd ranked class in the country.  No other school of recent memory had such a meteoric rise in its recruiting class success.  Accordingly, I think SJU is an easier target for our competition/detractors to fill our recruits' heads with uncertainty as to the direction of the program in light of things like Lavin's health and the crumbling BE.  I do agree, however, that the character of the recruit is also a factor.  Amir's character, for example, has demonstrated his loyalty to SJU despite his eligibility set back and the other developments.  I just don't think you can point to Lavin's prostate cancer as the sole reason for our recent run of bad luck on the recruiting end.

desco80

« Reply #471 on: December 01, 2011, 01:51:12 PM »
It's not black and white guys.  Recruits don't make a decision based on any one factor alone.  They may be kids; but choosing a college is a big decision for any 18 year old, and probably more so for athletes who want to go pro- they're going to weigh everything. 

So to say the instability of the Big East is going to have no effect?  I've gotta think that's not true.   Just like coach's health is probably a concern to them too.   

But it's the whole package; they're looking at those things, plus style of play, plus potential playing time, and a handful of other things.   

SJUFAN

« Reply #472 on: December 01, 2011, 02:04:01 PM »

Grow up? LOL. So because I don't agree with you I need to grow up? Do I have to school you again? It's getting old. 3 players dropped us. Not one. It's a fair assumption to believe that Lavin's health is the reason why.

Understand one thing, these kids are coming here only because of Lavin, not because of the school. If there is a chance that Lavin's health condition prevents him from being our coach, however small it may be, then I have no problem with these kids taking a moment to make sure everything is alright. In fact I hope that is the reason why they took a step back cause it means we have a great chance bringing them back on once Lavin returns. We as fans need to stop taking things so personally, this is the biggest decision so far for these young men, lets respect their decision making process and not be so judgmental.   

« Reply #473 on: December 01, 2011, 02:23:03 PM »
Sampson's recruitment with St. John's has nothing to do with Lavin's health.

Gathers recruitment did to a certain degree

Garrett's firm commitment is because his father goes way back with Lavin.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #474 on: December 01, 2011, 02:28:11 PM »
Dave, percentage Sampson or Gathers end up at SJU?

« Reply #475 on: December 01, 2011, 02:30:57 PM »

Do you want Dave to imitate the Hall fan? 

« Reply #476 on: December 01, 2011, 03:12:44 PM »

Haha, I do think that Dave has more connections than that guy with Anderson.

« Reply #477 on: December 02, 2011, 09:12:23 AM »

mj - then it would be 14.678%, 12.246%, etc. - LOL

« Reply #478 on: December 02, 2011, 04:11:30 PM »

It's foolish to give percentages. St. John's is in good with Gathers but Sampson shocked the staff in opening his recruitment. It's doubtful he'll wind up here.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #479 on: December 02, 2011, 04:54:21 PM »

It's foolish to give percentages. St. John's is in good with Gathers but Sampson shocked the staff in opening his recruitment. It's doubtful he'll wind up here.
J Smith - KU pusher