Jakarr Sampson - SF - Brewster Academy - Akron, OH - ST. JOHN'S

• 1462 replies

Moose

Re: Jakarr Sampson - SF - Brewster Academy - Akron, OH
« Reply #520 on: January 15, 2012, 11:21:16 PM »
lenn robbins is usually wrong. i hope he is right this time.

When was he last wrong on a recruit?
Remember who broke the Slice news

MCNPA

« Reply #521 on: January 15, 2012, 11:25:28 PM »
lenn robbins is usually wrong. i hope he is right this time.

When was he last wrong on a recruit?

Agree... Lenn doesn't usually get these wrong.  He usually reports when he has good info. He might have been wrong at one point in time about Kyle Anderson, but truths be told, nobody knew exactly what Kyle would do.  Let's hope that is the case here.  Adding Jakarr would be huge for us.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 11:26:50 PM by MCNPA »

sju89tr

« Reply #522 on: January 16, 2012, 09:30:21 AM »
Lenn has been pretty much spot on since the Lavin era began, it must be close if he wrote it

« Reply #523 on: January 16, 2012, 10:29:47 AM »
Wasnt Lenny the one who said we were getting LOI's from Norvel and Darrick wood right before the fall signing period?

BTW I really hope we get jakarr. Kid plays with agression.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #524 on: January 16, 2012, 10:51:58 AM »
Wasnt Lenny the one who said we were getting LOI's from Norvel and Darrick wood right before the fall signing period?

I know where he got that info from and I would have reported it too. Wasn't Lenn's fault. Just a bad tip.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #525 on: January 16, 2012, 10:53:43 AM »

I know where he got that info from and I would have reported it too. Wasn't Lenn's fault. Just a bad tip.

Fair enough Dave. Do you know where he got the jakarr info from?
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #526 on: January 16, 2012, 11:09:49 AM »

Dean wormer?

« Reply #527 on: January 16, 2012, 11:11:20 AM »
http://video-embed.masslive.com/services/player/bcpid650412348001?bctid=1393347346001

latest video of JS interview following yesterday's game.

he forgets to mention us after initially being asked who's recruiting him

« Reply #528 on: January 16, 2012, 11:15:15 AM »

Fair enough Dave. Do you know where he got the jakarr info from?

It's no secret. I've mentioned it a few times prior that Jakarr wants back in.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Poison

« Reply #529 on: January 16, 2012, 11:27:50 AM »
How are Sampson's grades?

sju89tr

« Reply #530 on: January 16, 2012, 11:51:05 AM »

I have been told theat they weren't far off last year, after a 5th year he should be fine.

Poison

« Reply #531 on: January 16, 2012, 11:55:50 AM »

I have been told theat they weren't far off last year, after a 5th year he should be fine.

One would hope

« Reply #532 on: January 16, 2012, 08:59:19 PM »
Only saw a little of second half of JS game against Nerlins Noels team and saw JS with 2 put back dunks while Noel was on bench with foul trouble. Announcer said that doesn't happen with Noel in the game. Could not help with being stuck by how thin JS still is even thou I had seen video on him before. An extra year of development for JS may have been the best thing for him before hopefully coming to St. J's.

MCNPA

« Reply #533 on: January 16, 2012, 09:07:03 PM »
Only saw a little of second half of JS game against Nerlins Noels team and saw JS with 2 put back dunks while Noel was on bench with foul trouble. Announcer said that doesn't happen with Noel in the game. Could not help with being stuck by how thin JS still is even thou I had seen video on him before. An extra year of development for JS may have been the best thing for him before hopefully coming to St. J's.

Noel is an amazing shotblocker.  Ill tell you though, Obekpa is only second or third in line after Noel.  Obekpa is that good.  Noel has some offense too though.  Jakarr is an excellent finisher and in lastnyear's game vs tilton, Noel swatted Sampson at least 4 times, even on dunks.  Noel certainly awesome.  Jakarr is a player that I really want here. He can really drive to the hoop and rebound.  Quick off the bounce.  Best days are ahead.

ras

« Reply #534 on: January 16, 2012, 10:17:37 PM »
From what I ve read Sampson is a Mo Harkless level talent. Would love to see them play together as originally intended.

« Reply #535 on: January 18, 2012, 08:45:03 AM »
Per NBE Basketball....

Jakarr Sampson (Brewster Academy 2012) – Sampson was one of the only players for Brewster able to have success in the paint against the imposing presence of Nerlens Noel. He is a superb 6’8” athlete who likes to catch from the mid post and use 1 dribble to the rim. Sampson also uses his athleticism to crash the offensive glass grabbing 5 rebounds on that end and finishing 2 of them off with spectacular tip dunks. His perimeter shot and ability to use more than a couple dribbles need more work but Sampson can impact the highest levels of college basketball already with his above the rim athleticism.

http://www.nbebasketball.com/w3/2012-0116/hoophall-classic-2012-sunday-recap/

Marillac

« Reply #536 on: January 18, 2012, 12:31:05 PM »
From what I ve read Sampson is a Mo Harkless level talent. Would love to see them play together as originally intended.

The plan was to have those two 6'8 forwards dominate next to each other.  Like I've said before, Sampson was probably the most important recruit to Lavin's blue print IMO.  It's almost like getting the volleyball team you want, but one of two finishers not being eligible.

desco80

« Reply #537 on: January 18, 2012, 02:00:03 PM »
I know what the scouting reports say, but for those of you who have seen him play a lot, can Jakarr shoot?   Seems easy to lump him in with Moe, but I get the impression that's not a completely accurate assessment. 

Moose

« Reply #538 on: January 18, 2012, 02:03:44 PM »
I know what the scouting reports say, but for those of you who have seen him play a lot, can Jakarr shoot?   Seems easy to lump him in with Moe, but I get the impression that's not a completely accurate assessment. 

Moe is a better shooter.  But Jakarr knows his range.  Ideally you'd love to stick Jakarr at the FT line where he can either shoot the J, drive or pass.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #539 on: January 18, 2012, 02:38:45 PM »
Jakarr's jumper looks improved since last year. Still not all that good but improved. He has the ability to hit some jumpers from the elbow