Jakarr Sampson - SF - Brewster Academy - Akron, OH - ST. JOHN'S

• 1462 replies

Marillac

Re: Jakarr Sampson - SF - Brewster Academy - Akron, OH
« Reply #540 on: January 18, 2012, 03:08:34 PM »
I know what the scouting reports say, but for those of you who have seen him play a lot, can Jakarr shoot?   Seems easy to lump him in with Moe, but I get the impression that's not a completely accurate assessment. 

Sampson has better form than Mo, but Mo has such an effortless release.  There is a video on youtube of Mo working with Jevon Thomas and just draining effortless three after effortless three.  I'm really shocked at his 24.5% shooting %. 

Mo has a tighter handle and better skills overall, but Sampson is clearly the better athlete.  These two were meant to play side-by-side. 

Poison

« Reply #541 on: January 18, 2012, 03:41:54 PM »
What are his strengths?

« Reply #542 on: January 18, 2012, 03:52:32 PM »
I know what the scouting reports say, but for those of you who have seen him play a lot, can Jakarr shoot?   Seems easy to lump him in with Moe, but I get the impression that's not a completely accurate assessment. 

Sampson has better form than Mo, but Mo has such an effortless release.  There is a video on youtube of Mo working with Jevon Thomas and just draining effortless three after effortless three.  I'm really shocked at his 24.5% shooting %. 

Mo has a tighter handle and better skills overall, but Sampson is clearly the better athlete.  These two were meant to play side-by-side. 

Dont agree that sampson has better form.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #543 on: January 18, 2012, 03:52:57 PM »
Jakarr's jumper looks improved since last year. Still not all that good but improved. He has the ability to hit some jumpers from the elbow

Another bricklayer?

« Reply #544 on: January 18, 2012, 03:53:26 PM »
What are his strengths?

His ability to hit the glass, and run the floor. Pretty good shot blocker and defender
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

DFF6

« Reply #545 on: January 18, 2012, 03:56:33 PM »
What are his strengths?

His ability to hit the glass, and run the floor. Pretty good shot blocker and defender

I thought Samspon had a decent jumpshot within 10-12 feet, which should be all he needs given his prospective role on the team, right?

« Reply #546 on: January 18, 2012, 03:58:23 PM »
What are his strengths?

I thought Samspon had a decent jumpshot within 10-12 feet, which should be all he needs given his prospective role on the team, right?

Yes, he does seem to be able to hit the short jumper.  He's also a decent ballhandler.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 03:59:25 PM by mjdinkins »

« Reply #547 on: January 18, 2012, 04:19:16 PM »
When are we gonna start recruiting kids that can knock down some jump shots?

Moose

« Reply #548 on: January 18, 2012, 04:21:33 PM »

Did he get ranked that high by accident?  He obviously has a skill of getting the ball in the basket.  Whether its shooting, driving, dunking on and over people.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #549 on: January 18, 2012, 04:41:30 PM »

Did he get ranked that high by accident?  He obviously has a skill of getting the ball in the basket.  Whether its shooting, driving, dunking on and over people.

I'm not trying to make a slight against Jakarr or anyone else that we're recruiting or on the team currently. They are all talented in their own right but it'd be nice to have another shooter besides Harrison to go along with all the slashers that we have.

DFF6

« Reply #550 on: January 18, 2012, 05:04:33 PM »

I'm not trying to make a slight against Jakarr or anyone else that we're recruiting or on the team currently. They are all talented in their own right but it'd be nice to have another shooter besides Harrison to go along with all the slashers that we have.

IMO, that's a fair point.  A sharpshooting SG coming out of high school doesn't need to physically mature as much to be effective as, let's say, a slashing, 6'6 SF/G freshman who needs to add 20 lbs of muscle to be effective in a physical CBB conference such as the BE. 

Moose

« Reply #551 on: January 18, 2012, 06:17:05 PM »

IMO, that's a fair point.  A sharpshooting SG coming out of high school doesn't need to physically mature as much to be effective as, let's say, a slashing, 6'6 SF/G freshman who needs to add 20 lbs of muscle to be effective in a physical CBB conference such as the BE. 

And as I mentioned before in another thread. It doesn't seem like for whatever reason, Lavin is going after 'shooters'

PIB

« Reply #552 on: January 18, 2012, 06:39:51 PM »
I completely agree about us needing more shooters. I don't know about you, but I am never confident that the ball will go in the net when our guys take jump shots. That needs to change.

desco80

« Reply #553 on: January 18, 2012, 07:10:21 PM »

And as I mentioned before in another thread. It doesn't seem like for whatever reason, Lavin is going after 'shooters'

As much as I dislike Cal, I think Lav's recruiting strategy is pretty similar to Kentucky's in recent years.  If you look at Wall, Gilchrist, Knight, Terrence Jones, Teague etc they're all phenomenal athletes, but were considered inconsistent shooters from deep.    Especially coming out of high school. 

A good shooting team can go cold, or can be rattled when playing on the road.  But if you're faster, quicker, and can out jump the other team.. loss balls, fast breaks, rebounds, blocks, steals etc.. make the game much easier.   It frustrates me when we're throwing up bricks, but I can't deny coach's plan has it's merits.

The big difference obviously is Lavin was starting over from scratch basically, and there's only so many John Walls and Anthony Davises out there.   But in the future I really would expect us to look a lot like some of these Kentucky teams.

Moose

« Reply #554 on: January 18, 2012, 07:11:45 PM »

As much as I dislike Cal, I think Lav's recruiting strategy is pretty similar to Kentucky's in recent years.  If you look at Wall, Gilchrist, Knight, Terrence Jones, Teague etc they're all phenomenal athletes, but were considered inconsistent shooters from deep.    Especially coming out of high school. 

A good shooting team can go cold, or can be rattled when playing on the road.  But if you're faster, quicker, and can out jump the other team.. loss balls, fast breaks, rebounds, blocks, steals etc.. make the game much easier.   It frustrates me when we're throwing up bricks, but I can't deny coach's plan has it's merits.

The big difference obviously is Lavin was starting over from scratch basically, and there's only so many John Walls and Anthony Davises out there.   But in the future I really would expect us to look a lot like some of these Kentucky teams.

Cal has a gunner in Doron Lamb though.  Ironically someone Lav tried to get.

gman

« Reply #555 on: January 18, 2012, 09:10:58 PM »

He is a power forward, not a shooting guard.  I want him dunking, not shooting.

« Reply #556 on: January 19, 2012, 10:51:59 AM »

Thompson was famous for recruiting athletes rather than shooters.  And big effective post players.

« Reply #557 on: January 19, 2012, 11:14:31 AM »
Shooters are always on the board late, big time athletes are not.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #558 on: January 28, 2012, 07:56:25 PM »
link to watch their game going on now http://sks-amg.org/?p=34

Marillac

« Reply #559 on: January 28, 2012, 09:03:58 PM »
#33 for SKS looked amazing for the 2 minutes I saw him.  Scored like 8 straight for them over McGarry.