Jakarr Sampson - SF - Brewster Academy - Akron, OH - ST. JOHN'S

• 1462 replies
Re: Jakarr Sampson - SF - Brewster Academy - Akron, OH
« Reply #560 on: January 28, 2012, 09:13:48 PM »
#33 for SKS looked amazing for the 2 minutes I saw him.  Scored like 8 straight for them over McGarry.

Looks alot like Moose's boy from last year who's now at Georgia

Moose

« Reply #561 on: January 28, 2012, 10:42:42 PM »
#33 for SKS looked amazing for the 2 minutes I saw him.  Scored like 8 straight for them over McGarry.

Looks alot like Moose's boy from last year who's now at Georgia

He had moments of good and moments of bad.  Much bigger than Djurisic from last year.  I was at the game.  Report coming soon.
Remember who broke the Slice news

Moose

« Reply #562 on: January 29, 2012, 03:22:17 PM »
Drove up to South Kent last night to see Brewster.  Wow South Kent is in the middle of nowhere ;D

Saw Lav and Chiles and sat behind them, talked to them after and Lav is in great spirits.  Providence was also there.  Place was packed to the gills with fans.

Brewster had 1 pt lead at half but blew it open and won by 24.  Brewster is absolutely loaded.  I mean Jakarr played fine.  On that team everyone seems to have 'their day' where they explode and become the teams leading scorer.  Otherwise everyone falls into their roles.  Jakarr had 10-12 pts I think, 7-8 boards, 3-4 blocks but what most impressed me was how often he was used as their inbounds passer and how he was the top of their press and did a great job helping break the press against them.  Jakarr is perfect at FT line just like Moe where he can shoot the little J, pass or use his speed to blow by defenders.  In other Brewster news- TJ Warren (NC STATE) is unreal.  Phenomenal player.  He's not in phenomenal shape but man he can do everything and last night he was on fire from everywhere.  Aaron Thomas (FSU) had a pretty quiet night but showed some tremendous hops.  Along with the Xavier duo of Semaj Christon and Jalen Reynolds.  Semaj is still learning to play PG and being taller means he has to be more careful.  Reynolds showed some nice post moves but also some bonehead plays where he was trying too hard. Joe Bramanti (Undecided) was in Ricardo Ledo's face all game getting in his head at times.  Kid is a bulldog.  If I was running a MAAC school I'd be all over him.

Ricardo Ledo took 87 shots I think.  I've seen him a number of times and the kid has THE worst demeanor I've ever seen on the court.  Even in the 1st half when SK was playing well he was bitching and moaning whenever he wasn't passed the ball even if the team scored.  No question kid is a player.  He can score all over.  He's no taller than 6'4 though to me.  But someone is gonna get in his head in college many a night and throw him off.  The big man Laimonas Chatkevicius started and is definitely more than servicable.  He was winded a lot but had a nifty game down low.  He will do well with Frank Martin at KState.  Chris Ortiz and Tre Oliver also did some good things.  Ortiz needs to learn to stop shooting from outside and do his work down low.  Oliver has some pretty athletic upside and hes a real emotional player ala D-Lo.

Jakarr was making eye contact with Lavin and Tony all game as they sat front row center court.  One other note about Brewster was Mitch McGary and head coach Jason Smith.  No question Jakarr and McGary are seriously best buds.  McGary's family was there and Jakarr came and hugged them all.  They also have great chemistry on the court together.  McGary had moments.  The more I see him play the more I realize Duke would have been the perfect fit for his playing style.  The SK students were riding McGary all game.  And Mitch was jawing back at them.  When he missed a shot or something they were chanting Michigan JV or something.  In one of the most bizarre moments I've ever seen in my life at the end of the game McGary flushed one home with the game no longer in doubt and SK called timeout.  Jason Smith then stormed from bench halfway across court to student section and starting yelling MICHIGAN THAT, MICHIGAN THAT at them.  (This was after he was already t'ed up earlier in the game).  He is one of the most obnoxious coaches on the sidelines I've ever seen in my life.

Hope Lav locks up Jakarr because he would be a great addition to what we are trying to do.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 03:23:21 PM by Moose »

paultzman

« Reply #563 on: January 29, 2012, 03:45:21 PM »
Nice job Moose. do you see JS as a power forward or a three?

« Reply #564 on: January 29, 2012, 03:50:17 PM »
Thanks for the update, I've seen Brewster this year and agree with pretty much all you said. I thought there was no way they would be as good as they were last year but imo they are better. Funny that you mentioned that Jakarr kept making eye contact with the coaches because I noticed the same exact thing when I saw them a few months ago. Hopefully he wasn't making eye contact with Providence though, they have been following him to every game and may be a legit threat to us. Hopefully he jumps back on board. I'll be at a tournament at the end of the week & Brewster will be there but not sure if I can make it to their game.

Moose

« Reply #565 on: January 29, 2012, 03:52:21 PM »
Nice job Moose. do you see JS as a power forward or a three?

He is a 3/4.  I always said last year he would play 4 and Moe 3 because of their strengths.  Brewster plays a lot of big guys so he rotates between 3 and 4.  He's legit 6'8 and LONG.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 03:52:51 PM by Moose »

Poison

« Reply #566 on: January 29, 2012, 04:19:37 PM »
Can he rebound?

MCNPA

« Reply #567 on: January 29, 2012, 04:22:02 PM »

« Reply #568 on: January 29, 2012, 04:49:13 PM »
Thanks for the recap Moose. Adding Jakarr would IMO make us a lot bigger than what some might believe. It allows us to move Moe to the 3 and when Moe Harkless is your 3 man, you will have a pretty big front line. Jakarr also seems to have a mean streak. We could use someone that is a little nasty in the paint.

Any thing you can share from your conversation you had with Coach?
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Moose

« Reply #569 on: January 29, 2012, 04:59:03 PM »
Thanks for the recap Moose. Adding Jakarr would IMO make us a lot bigger than what some might believe. It allows us to move Moe to the 3 and when Moe Harkless is your 3 man, you will have a pretty big front line. Jakarr also seems to have a mean streak. We could use someone that is a little nasty in the paint.

Any thing you can share from your conversation you had with Coach?

Nothing ground breaking.  I asked how he was feeling. Said we played good yesterday and next year we beat that team in the Garden.  He said we just need to add a big man or two and we would be golden.

« Reply #570 on: January 29, 2012, 05:27:21 PM »
Nice, thorough write-up, Moose.  Let's hope Sampson decides to jump on board.  He'll compliment Moe very well.

By the way, I was kinda lukewarm on Ledo when I saw him at the Peach Jam.  I think I said as much, when I saw him last summer.  Yes, he can shoot it, but he's a big-time volume shooter and chucker that kinda mopes like you've stated.   

« Reply #571 on: January 29, 2012, 06:21:05 PM »
Awesome write up Moose....thanks for sharing!

desco80

« Reply #572 on: January 29, 2012, 06:32:19 PM »
Thanks for the break down Moose.  Great read!

jayro

« Reply #573 on: January 29, 2012, 08:30:08 PM »
Thanks for the informative & thorough write-up Moose. 

« Reply #574 on: January 30, 2012, 08:24:24 AM »
Jason Smith then stormed from bench halfway across court to student section and starting yelling MICHIGAN THAT, MICHIGAN THAT at them. 

Tiny Jr.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

SJU79

« Reply #575 on: January 30, 2012, 09:48:04 AM »
This cat makes Tiny look like Coach Wooden. Its shocking to me they allow this guy to coach young man...hes a nice person.

sju89tr

« Reply #576 on: January 30, 2012, 09:56:39 AM »
I have never seen a coach on Twitter suck up to college programs like Smith does.

« Reply #577 on: January 30, 2012, 10:07:43 AM »
Does he have any say into where his players go to school?

boo3

« Reply #578 on: January 30, 2012, 12:20:21 PM »
 I actually agree with Poison on this one. 

Either pick St. John's or cross them off the list. You already committed once. Everyone , with the exception of Pelle, is here.  Team shows promise, desperately need a power forward, and Lavin has come out and said he's back.  Throw in the the fact that Lavin is still seeing this kid at every possible chance. 

I know its a big decision and all that, but he already made his decision last year.  Don't play us Jakarr!

pmg911

« Reply #579 on: January 30, 2012, 12:43:54 PM »
Tiny Jr.

Choz, see we don't always disagree.

Tiny is THE worst I have ever seen. He is not only a bad coach and teacher of the game, he is THE most selfish coach I have ever come across.