• 33 replies
Miami Post Game....
« on: December 02, 2007, 06:11:04 PM »
let the rants begin.....
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

kjd01067

Re: Miami Post Game....
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2007, 06:23:15 PM »
First things first, no one thought this team was going to go undefeated!  We played a good team tonight with experienced players.  We saw tonight what will happen to us in the Big East schedule if we cant shoot the ball and dont have Mase.  Its hard to look at positives from the game right after a loss but there was a couple.  Larry Wright when his shot is falling can play with the best of them.  That drive in the first half that he finished with a fall away J was pretty.  Justin Burrell can dominate people but he needs help from the outside because otherwise he is going to get doubled every time he touches it.  His head is his biggest problem, when things dont go his way he starts to complain and disapeer a little.  When Mase comes back look for JB to start playing to his potential.  DJ came back down to earth today playing against guys of equal athleticism but showed he can run the break.  I didnt know what to expect going on the road with 7 freshman but i expected a little more than we got.  I think this is a wake up call to Norm and the team!  This team will have its ups and its downs this year and tonight we had a setback but nothing that cant be fixed.  All the ney-sayers will be out in full force tonight but most of us here now what this team can do if at full strength.  Injuries are not an excuse tonight we simply got beat by a better team than us at this point in time.  I wish all the players luck on their final exams and hope Norm gets these guys ready for Niagra and then a big road trip!

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2007, 06:36:05 PM »
Shot the ball horribly and settled and relied too much on the 3. Forced the ball when we had it inside as JB didn't kick it when he had it(1 time he kicked it geno for 3). We didn't run the uptempo at all but when we did we saw success. I thought we needed to drive the ball more and create off penetration. Our outside game is only effective when we create off penetration or off the post.

I thought our press was too soft. I thought we did a good job of covering off the pick and roll with the big men. I didn't think the help defense did a good job off the double teams when we would trap with the guards. We should have had more steals if we would have done better on this.

The game ran away at the end but I think this ass whooping will be good for the freshman. We aren't playing the NEC anymore and we aren't hot shit. So lets play with the same intensity as teams aren't going to roll over for us. I think this is a big wake up call. Lets see how we respond next game.

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2007, 06:59:44 PM »
Balzo's Breakdown

www.johnnyjungle.com/BB.html

Is up!
« Last Edit: December 02, 2007, 07:01:21 PM by JJ »

redstorm32

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2007, 07:01:42 PM »
just an idea against the zone when nobody was making shots and everybody was settling for 3s

it wouldnt have been a bad idea for cav to come in and get some looks

hes the 2nd best 3 point shooter behind larry

and he couldnt have done any worse than what was being bricked up there

redstorm32

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2007, 07:12:01 PM »
it would have been nice if we beat the spread

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2007, 07:19:03 PM »
i dont think it was just the fact that the guys were off from downtown today.  there was a total look of cluelessness out there against the zone and they couldn't stop the bleeding in the 2nd half (similar to last year, right?).after all the good things i saw coaching wise in the first half it was disappointing to see norm get totally outcoached from halftime through the rest of the game
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

redstorm32

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2007, 07:36:04 PM »
i agree with you johniesfan it didnt even look like coach roberts was running any plays against the zone and i dont think he has much against the zone is his playbook yet

hopefully as the season progresses he develops some plays

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2007, 07:41:36 PM »
They *can* still go 8-1 before the Big East schedule starts.  I don't think it'll happen, but that would make you feel better about today's loss.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2007, 07:50:15 PM »
You know what?  I think the team played credible defense in the first half.  But in the second half, except for the stretch where the Johnnies played zone (why not stick with that?), I don't know what happened.  Especially with that 30 year old Anthony King.  Burrell couldn't handle him; Coker let all the post players get great position; and for stretches, they couldn't miss. 

My gripe is on offense.  Lawrence took bad shots (early ones) but I think some of the acceptable shots he took just didn't fall.  But I think his defense was okay and in the first half, he had some okay passes.  Larry Wright had a terrible game and I don't know why; he didn't get many looks but the ones he got he wasted.  Burrell has to find out how to get better post position because he should be effin' DUNKING.  Coker and Horne need to shoot from 7 feet and in.  I thought Tomas started off decently and then was ineffective.  Kennedy looked a little lost and late in the game, I think he missed opportunities on the couple of run outs he had-- he had Wright on the left side and straight up missed, taking it into the teeth of the defense. 

And anyone who thinks this team doesn't need Mason... 

And there have to be plays against the zone, better than toss it side to side (skip passes?) and try try try to find Burrell who was handled.

As for the future, better hope our team doesn't come across St. Mary's-- they're in the Rainbow tourney, I believe-- because they'll whoop up on this team.

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2007, 07:54:44 PM »
i agree with you johniesfan it didnt even look like coach roberts was running any plays against the zone and i dont think he has much against the zone is his playbook yet

hopefully as the season progresses he develops some plays

we saw a zone first 3 games of the season if anything we didn't have anything agains the man to man....liu/today. We didn't hit our shots against the zone that simple

Poison

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2007, 07:57:46 PM »
I like all of our players. This was all coaching. No one knew where to be, and no interior player had clue how to defend.
They have talent, but they clearly need a new teacher.

I wouldn't get rid of Norm on Christmas eve, but on the 15th of March, he should be given his walking papers.
Is that mean? Am I bad person for wanting to see SJU not embarrass themselves?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2007, 08:16:08 PM by Poison »

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2007, 08:21:14 PM »
I think we saw the youth come out today. We rushed on offense a lot either forcing the ball inside too soon before position was established or taking the first available shot outside. We stood around on offense as well too at times letting the clock wind down with no sense of urgency forcing a long three at the end of the shot clock.

To peg this loss on the Norm 100% is bit ridiculous to me. I want to save a lot of my personal thoughts for the radio show on tuesday.

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2007, 08:21:55 PM »
Not much falling . Wright was off & Burrells fade away couldn't find the basket. When Justin does his fade away he takes him self out of position for any put backs or rebounds. I thought they played good "D".                          Our first loss last year was at the Garden. We losed by 32 pts.  Norm almost pulled off a great win the next night, but lost to "Durant" (#18th ranked Texas) by 1 point!! This was followed by a very forgetable  game at Carnesecca arena vs Illinois State.    This years players play with alot of heart, I don't believe were going to lose 4 games before the Big East starts.

Poison

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2007, 08:33:27 PM »
Not much falling . Wright was off & Burrells fade away couldn't find the basket. When Justin does his fade away he takes him self out of position for any put backs or rebounds. I thought they played good "D".                          Our first loss last year was at the Garden. We losed by 32 pts.  Norm almost pulled off a great win the next night, but lost to "Durant" (#18th ranked Texas) by 1 point!! This was followed by a very forgetable  game at Carnesecca arena vs Illinois State.    This years players play with alot of heart, I don't believe were going to lose 4 games before the Big East starts.

How can you find any heart in a blow out to a bottom feeder?

« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2007, 08:37:41 PM »
an undefeated bottom feeder who has beaten pc, marist, and now us. I think we could have won this game but their interior play was superior to ours, they played composed, and hit the boards harder.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2007, 08:50:36 PM »
I think we saw the youth come out today. We rushed on offense a lot either forcing the ball inside too soon before position was established or taking the first available shot outside. We stood around on offense as well too at times letting the clock wind down with no sense of urgency forcing a long three at the end of the shot clock.

To peg this loss on the Norm 100% is bit ridiculous to me. I want to save a lot of my personal thoughts for the radio show on tuesday.

Here's the thing (and I don't put it 100% on Norm either-- Burrell has a lot of confidence but didn't fully use his skills.  And that flopping is crap, muscle up!)-- the team tried to get the ball into Burrell but didn't have an option #2 when they couldn't reach him-- so they wait, and wait, when there could have been some more offensive action.  Or looks at someone else for offense.  A team can't be completely stymied on offense by a zone.  Even if their shooter isn't hitting.  That ain't right.

I think and probably have said that Burrell will be better when Mase is back to be a focal point-- he will be able to respond to offensive rebounding opportunities which he's best suited for right now, even though his post moves are developing.  He shouldn't be the first and second option yet, he's not that crisp.

I'm just a bit pissed off now, though.  I don't want to just spew "we're not winning" haterade all over the place.

But Miami is not a bottom feeder.  Even if all the ACC coaches predict that the skies are gonna fall doesn't mean they are.  Look at Miami's stats.  They can really play, and they'll be a middle of the pack team in a very competitive ACC.

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2007, 08:54:19 PM »
liu was also picked to finish last in the nec and they by far looked like the best team out of the 4 we played, sacred heart was also picked 1st
« Last Edit: December 02, 2007, 08:54:49 PM by JJ »

redstorm32

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2007, 08:56:17 PM »
miami has a very good chance at finishing 7th

« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2007, 09:03:11 PM »
we really played pretty abysmal. our shooting was absolutely horrendous and the defense wasnt too good as well. overall we didnt deserve to win this game
We Not Me