Miami Post Game....

• 33 replies
Re: Miami Post Game....
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2007, 08:16:07 AM »
i agree with you johniesfan it didnt even look like coach roberts was running any plays against the zone and i dont think he has much against the zone is his playbook yet

hopefully as the season progresses he develops some plays

this is his fourth year.  when do you think he'll get around to it?

« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2007, 08:30:00 AM »
Yo, yo, yo.... Just got back late last night from a bidness trip where I hadda put some gleaners on the down low. My boy Rayshawn tape the game fo me but I aint seen it since he start his day at 3:30 wit the sanatation dept.

Now I'm starting to feel mad depress. 
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2007, 09:54:29 AM »
After giving the night to think about things ....

Throughout the game we played hard, and tried to compete and crawl our way back all game (unlike last yr where we'd roll over and quit, probably losing by 25-30).  Weren't going to come back with them hitting all their fts and us not being able to touch a 3 all game.

Larry was awful today SHOOTING the ball, but i really dont think he played poorly.  I liked every one of his looks and he even drove the ball to the hoop a few times but the lid was on the rim for the kid all day.  Not that hes a freshman, but this was the pretty much the 1st time he's played extensive minutes against decent competetion also (which y he didnt play more last yr none of us will really ever know) but I'm not worried about him, just wish he was on a little more yesterday.

We boarded allright yesterday, and I think our freshman had a little rude awakening with guys being as big and as athletic as them.  I think by the end of the year this team will be real solid on the boards but right now its going to be inconsistent until they get used to playing with guys their size.  So many times we'd have a ball drop out of our hands and roll out of bounds or into their hands and not enough into our own.

Geno is what he is but i thought he was more aggressive then usual which is half good half bad.  When he drives the lane im always terrified of something bad happening because he just isnt athletic enough to make things happen consistently.  That said, he played nice defense, boarded well and did a nice job doing other things.  He also wasnt hitting shots and with him and larry being off from 3 we're pretty much dead.

Justin is an enigma to me because he'll look so good sometimes and sooo bad other times.  I hope its just because he is a freshman but a problem im scared of with him is all the minutes hes playing.  We can't afford him not being on the floor but i also think his play takes a big dip when he gets tired.  For a game that didnt look that good from his part, kid still dropped 10 and 8. 

Thought Tomas played well while he was in, but he has to cut out the shitty fouls that are completely pointless.  I can't believe i'm saying this but right now hes a guy we need on the floor.  The offense flows better with him in and hes a better overall defender/rebounder then dele right now (granted i think dele can get better, he just has to learn).

2nd half our bigs gave up too much position down low and that really killed us.  I think thats mostly from inexperience of guys that size and is an easy problme to fix.  I'm not worried about it for the future but it was defientely a huge problem last nite.

DJ looked quiet but still drop 10 and 6 and made some nice plays.  With Mase out the kid has to be more aggressive and he has the tools to do it.  I think game was a nice awakening for him and im not too worried about him.

Paris played real well in my eyes adn lookd  the same as he did vs anyone else we played.  He has the body and athleticism to play with any team he just needs to get a consistent J.  He did hit one nice shot, but we need a little more.  I just love his swagger and explosiveness. 

Malik did allright, still looks to be getting used to some things but I feel like hes grasping things more and more each game.

For me what i gained most out of this game was our need for another option on offense.  Right now EVERYTHING goes through Justin and thats not going to fly all the time.  I love the improved Larry but hes more of a guy to feed off of others rahter then just taking control (granted he does have the ability too, hes just not fully there yet).  This team NEEDS a healthy mase to succeed.  Mostly because of the looks he'll get everyone else.  We have no threat but justin and these teams are going to keep suffocating him and right now hes just not good enough out of the doubles and triples.  I think a huge x-factor is going to be rob thomas because from what i've been told his offense is on another level and can really help us.  I'm not relying on him, but i've been todl hes feeling real good and its not going to be an issue with his knee but rather getting used to being in games again. Someone has to be option #2 though, bc right now its geno and thats just not his game.

Coaching wise i wont lie i dont know as much as a lot of you but i really dont see what norm did wrong.  We couldnt hit a shot (not his fault being most of looks were open) and they didnt miss, but i felt like we had decent defense.  I would have liked him to put the small line out there earlier.  The team played hard and for the most part the freshmen didnt look scared to me which was a nice sign. 

As shitty as this loss was, this team needed a reality check.  The thing i want to see is how we respond vs Niagara.  I want us to go out there and pulverize them from the get go and show that they were pist with the lost and that it actually hurt.  If we come out flat, i'll be worried for the rest of the year.

redstorm32

« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2007, 11:56:00 AM »
what coach did wrong wrong or atleast not a good job at was zoan offense and adjusting to miami

pmg911

« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2007, 01:23:41 PM »
what coach did wrong wrong or atleast not a good job at was zoan offense and adjusting to miami

He has been doing that wrong for 4 years. .  I don't understand why anyone would expect it to be different...

The man can teach defense...   I will give him his due credit....    BUT...    he is one of the worst offesive coaches I have ever seen...    there are 5 guys in the CHSAA that could do wonders for Norm if he was just man enough to admit he has made some bad assistant coaching hires and brought in a good offensive mind....

redstorm32

« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2007, 01:31:59 PM »
idk but he's our coach for atleast this year and next

the least everyone can do is give him a chance

and critique him at the end of the season

Poison

« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2007, 01:53:05 PM »
idk but he's our coach for atleast this year and next

the least everyone can do is give him a chance

and critique him at the end of the season

With all due respect, how many chances does Norm get? I give him a free pass for not landing top recruits with the dark cloud over us, and for not fielding a very good team for the first couple of years, but now, we've Norm make his own mistakes. Sure, we can laugh and say we didn't want Avery Patterson or Ricky Torres back, but it's not as funny now that we see how former players—who we once laughed at, like Dexter Gray and Cedric Jackson have excelled elsewhere.

The common thread in this Norm Roberts. The players may get better, but will they do it Norm?

« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2007, 02:09:31 PM »

He has been doing that wrong for 4 years. .  I don't understand why anyone would expect it to be different...

The man can teach defense...   I will give him his due credit....    BUT...    he is one of the worst offesive coaches I have ever seen...    there are 5 guys in the CHSAA that could do wonders for Norm if he was just man enough to admit he has made some bad assistant coaching hires and brought in a good offensive mind....

which 5 coaches are that?
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2007, 02:11:36 PM »
i take a mixed bag coaching wise after the miami game.  the defense was pretty impressive all in all and norm came up with some pretty impressive out of bounds and out of timeouts plays however the 2nd half had to be discouraging.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

redstorm32

« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2007, 02:15:12 PM »
an offensive guru wouldnt hurt as an assistant

« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2007, 03:43:01 PM »
i always liked dexter and thought he didn't get enough time. The thing with dex was i think he was faulted for his own his consistency. He never really did anything to well but never really made mistakes. He was a quiet 8-10 points a night on good %'s.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2007, 04:58:37 PM »
dex was undersized at the big east level.  he had that 8-12 foot jumper which was semi consistent and he played hard, but he was undersized. when norm got him when he first came in it wasnt a bad first commitment but he wasnt a big east player

Poison

« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2007, 10:12:02 PM »
dex was undersized at the big east level.  he had that 8-12 foot jumper which was semi consistent and he played hard, but he was undersized. when norm got him when he first came in it wasnt a bad first commitment but he wasnt a big east player

Sure looks like he'd be a big east player now. BTW-did you see what Cedric the Entertainer did to FSU?

« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2007, 08:38:05 AM »
dex was undersized..but he was second on the team in rebounding as a freshman.

that's an effort stat.