Positives

• 10 replies

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
Positives
« on: December 03, 2007, 11:41:20 AM »
How about Cavataio's minute on the court, though?  I was impressed, kinda-- didn't show up in the box score, but he was active around the glass.  Would like to see him put up a shot, but I can see how he can be a solid bench contributor.  Which isn't to say he won't develop.

I liked how the team dug in and came back in the first half.

I know y'all hate on Tomas, but he did his thing-- little offense, blocked his requisite shot, and he had 7 boards.  Have you watched him the previous 2 years?  That man couldn't hang on to a ball when it fell into his hands.  The fouls sucked-- especially the moving screen which he's been doing for his years on Utopia Pkwy.

I thought Horne was effective on defense, and better than Boothe, who might be playing too close to his man.  He's quick but a defender has to leave a little room to react to moves, and he's gotta work on his anticipation.

You gotta like Kennedy's aggressiveness; but his court vision needs improvement.  I think he missed some opportunities on the 2 (i think) fast break opportunities he had.  And his shot is slow and deliberate; I think he's going to be a multi-faceted scorer but he's not going to be a shooter.

Burrell's going to learn from this game.  And hopefully Geno will use his strength to get inside the three-point line-- he made some bullish moves yesterday and got to the line once-- he's got to do that more frequently, slow down the game.

When was Sean Evans in?  I see him in the box score but didn't see him on the court.

Re: Positives
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2007, 11:46:16 AM »
In and out with Cav, I think.

pmg911

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2007, 11:49:17 AM »
How about Cavataio's minute on the court, though?  I was impressed, kinda-- didn't show up in the box score, but he was active around the glass.  Would like to see him put up a shot, but I can see how he can be a solid bench contributor.  Which isn't to say he won't develop.

I know y'all hate on Tomas, but he did his thing-- little offense, blocked his requisite shot, and he had 7 boards.  Have you watched him the previous 2 years?  That man couldn't hang on to a ball when it fell into his hands.  The fouls sucked-- especially the moving screen which he's been doing for his years on Utopia Pkwy.

I thought Horne was effective on defense, and better than Boothe, who might be playing too close to his man.  He's quick but a defender has to leave a little room to react to moves, and he's gotta work on his anticipation.

You gotta like Kennedy's aggressiveness; but his court vision needs improvement.  I think he missed some opportunities on the 2 (i think) fast break opportunities he had.  And his shot is slow and deliberate; I think he's going to be a multi-faceted scorer but he's not going to be a shooter.

Burrell's going to learn from this game.  And hopefully Geno will use his strength to get inside the three-point line-- he made some bullish moves yesterday and got to the line once-- he's got to do that more frequently, slow down the game.

When was Sean Evans in?  I see him in the box score but didn't see him on the court.

While I don't agree with it..   

I do think your optimism is fantastic...

My take on the things you said though would be that almost all of your positives were in the first half and they were all postivies, no doubt......   but the other coach made halftime adjustments..   Norm didn't, or his adjustments didn't work, and we got hammered...

redstorm32

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2007, 11:52:12 AM »
im with pmg here miami made a big time adjustment and coach didnt or failed at making his

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2007, 12:45:43 PM »
it's a stretch to come up with positives when you've been blown out and you can't even score 50 points against a mediocre team.

oh, here's one...norm is one game closer to being fired. :-[

another...reinforcements are on the way.  rob thomas, assuming his grades are in order, is there for the niagara game.  mase jr won't be far behind.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2007, 01:31:05 PM »

While I don't agree with it..   

I do think your optimism is fantastic...

My take on the things you said though would be that almost all of your positives were in the first half and they were all postivies, no doubt......   but the other coach made halftime adjustments..   Norm didn't, or his adjustments didn't work, and we got hammered...

For me, it's just that reading people talk like all of the sudden we have the worst team in the history of basketball since Naismith and peach baskets is absurd.  I have some friends who are are Kentucky alums and we sound as on the ledge as they did after Gardner-Webb.  Our team needs work.  Our team needs scoring.  The coaching has to get better one way or another whether Norm is here or not.  Everyone agrees with most of this, and I agree too (in fact, I think Norm should have thought of more zone in the second half.  Let one-handed McClinton beat us, or even keep a man on him and let the rest of those ducks shoot from the outside; but I've never coached, so I don't know what the "plan" was there). 

But I see potential in this team of mostly-freshmen, and I won't act like these guys are worthless, when this is their first road challenge, their first time playing guys who can seriously body them up (Miami may not be great but they are some STRONG cats), and their fifth game.  It's not time to expect the worst for the whole season.  And from the beginning of the year, I think that though Mase Jr. is an inefficient scorer, Burrell will benefit greatly from playing off of him (if/ when he returns)-- 6-8 points off of offensive rebounds, which he's not getting because he's facilitating the offense from ten feet away.

Not saying "hey, let's keep Norm!"  Or "we're gonna win 22 games and get to the Tourney", but the negatives have been repeated ad nauseum on the message boards, is all. I'm trying to look at what we've got in a different way.

This is what I get for growing up a Mets fan.  LOTS of optimism.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2007, 01:31:48 PM by peter »

Poison

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2007, 01:48:42 PM »

Tomas was the only player who did his job. The freshman played like freshman last night.

nrb155

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2007, 04:58:29 PM »
ahh very true posion and the lone sophomore played like a freshman too

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2007, 07:47:45 PM »

Ah yes, Norm sure knows how to use those subs :-[
In the second half, Duell and Liam B wold have played better than Geno and Wright.  Neither had a clue on how to execute on offense last night and Justin Burrell cloned himself in Monty, version 2 :(

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2007, 07:53:44 PM »

In the second half, Duell and Liam B wold have played better than Geno and Wright.  Neither had a clue on how to execute on offense last night and Justin Burrell cloned himself in Monty, version 2 :(

cmon now, burrell is a freshman lets not forget this.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2007, 08:22:46 PM »

Dude as a freshman hes already ahead of Lamont ... last nite monty would have been in foul trouble taking up space on the bench after missing a few 3's and a couple of dunks.

Give the kid some time and get off his back