UCLA Game Thread

• 146 replies

tnice

Re: UCLA Game Thread
« Reply #140 on: February 20, 2012, 04:35:01 PM »
I was amazed a) at how slow and unathletic they were, and b) that despite being slow and unathletic, they played man on us for a majority of the game, which played right into our hands.

« Reply #141 on: February 20, 2012, 04:38:42 PM »
They are and have been horrible on offense since he has been there.  I only half jokingly said he was on the hot seat last year.  Their fans are crazy(except CR :) )

No question he is a great defensive coach...it's really strange they can't get anything going offensively.  Maybe KA can solve that.  But he will have to do it in the half court because they won't outrun anyone.

When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

MCNPA

« Reply #142 on: February 20, 2012, 04:50:42 PM »
They are and have been horrible on offense since he has been there.  I only half jokingly said he was on the hot seat last year.  Their fans are crazy(except CR :) )

No question he is a great defensive coach...it's really strange they can't get anything going offensively.  Maybe KA can solve that.  But he will have to do it in the half court because they won't outrun anyone.

Hard to do it in the half court when you play 3 centers on the court at the same time for much of the game.   Not much they are going to create against a match up zone.  They'll have 4 centers out here next yer with Kyle Anderson's foot speed... ;). Joking aside though, comes back to my point that he recruits the wrong type of players to his team.  Too many bug guys that can't create off the dribble.  Doesn't recruit the appropriate type of PG that he needs like Dominic Artis who he lost. 

LJSA

« Reply #143 on: February 21, 2012, 12:46:21 AM »
Great effort by a very under-manned team.  I don't think they'll have much left for their next game so lets enjoy this hard fought enjoyable victory while it lasts.

« Reply #144 on: February 21, 2012, 07:11:49 AM »
Perhaps UCLA players (more than 80 percent are from California) are overrated, too.

crgreen

« Reply #145 on: February 21, 2012, 12:58:19 PM »

Hard to do it in the half court when you play 3 centers on the court at the same time for much of the game.   Not much they are going to create against a match up zone.  They'll have 4 centers out here next yer with Kyle Anderson's foot speed... ;). Joking aside though, comes back to my point that he recruits the wrong type of players to his team.  Too many bug guys that can't create off the dribble.  Doesn't recruit the appropriate type of PG that he needs like Dominic Artis who he lost.

Or Matt Carlino.   Artis was never more than a Verbal.  Carlino was in a Bruin Uniform - graduated after his Jr. year of HS 'cause UCLA said they needed him, and then coach Howland never played him ("actually said in post game comments "I forgot he was eligible"), so he transferred.  As a redshirt frosh at BYU this season, Matt's the starting PG replacing Jimmer Fredette, his teams 23-6 (11-3 in conference), and he's putting up 13 pts, 4.6 assists, and leads the team in steals.   And he's far better than any guard currently on the Bruin squad.

FYI, there are rumors out of Westwood that the same thing may be happening with Soph center Anthony Stover.  Hasn't played in the last 3 games.  I hope he stays - while he has no offensive game to speak of, he's easily the best defensive center in the Pac 12.  If he was at St. Johns, he'd be starting right now at center - perfect for a Lavin team.   He's getting only EIGHT minutes a game.   But he's #4 in blocked shots in the conference - he's getting 1.5 blocks in those 8 minutes.  He's getting 8 minutes on a team with THREE McDonalds All American Centers, all getting 20-30 mins a game, and HE leads the team in Blocks.

crgreen

« Reply #146 on: February 21, 2012, 01:04:21 PM »

Do need to note that one of those 3 centers is hitting 43% from beyond the Arc.  More important to note, one of the others is shooting 57% on 3s - minimum 20 or more attempts, David Wear LEADS the Pac 10 in 3pt %.