Big Recruiting Weekend

• 93 replies

paultzman

Big Recruiting Weekend
« on: June 27, 2012, 04:25:39 PM »
“@STJCoachLavin: Big recruiting wknd for Johnnies. 
Hammer2Rock #STJbb”

:D

Poison

Re: Big Recruiting Weekend
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 04:27:06 PM »
Wow, you're fast Paultzman.

paultzman

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 04:28:47 PM »
Wow, you're fast Paultzman.

Unfortunately, that's what my wife says Poison!

thetruth8734

• SJU Alum
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 04:35:16 PM »
Anyone know why it is??

boo3

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2012, 04:44:02 PM »
 He also tweeted about being at the SF/LA baseball game today. 

Any experts that can connect the dots?

Moose

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2012, 04:53:00 PM »
I didn't think it was a live period......
Remember who broke the Slice news

crgreen

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2012, 04:54:29 PM »

That puts him in the Bay area...but todays the last game of that series, so he could be headed anywhere by Saturday.

By the way, on a UCLA board, they'd be ripping him a new one for a month for attending a baseball game instead of attending to his coaching duties.  I'm not kidding.  It really happened in 2002.

desco80

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2012, 04:57:34 PM »

He'll be back here for the weekend though; said he's coming back for the draft to see Moe.

You would think are targets are Wood for this year,  (but does he really need to be recruited?)   or a 2013 player.   We haven't heard anything about Lawrence or either of the LA guys, Martin or Jones visiting... but who knows.

desco80

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2012, 04:59:10 PM »

That puts him in the Bay area...but todays the last game of that series, so he could be headed anywhere by Saturday.

By the way, on a UCLA board, they'd be ripping him a new one for a month for attending a baseball game instead of attending to his coaching duties.  I'm not kidding.  It really happened in 2002.

Wasn't that story a little broader though CR ?    Didn't Lavin call a recruit from the Dodger's Gm's cell phone? Or something along those lines..
I remember reading Bruin fans flipping out about potential violations at the time.

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2012, 05:00:07 PM »

As others point out I don't think he is recruiting in Cali, just some R & R.  Quiet Period, cannot be on the road recruiting.

Going to be back on campus this weekend probably to host some visitors.

Moose

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2012, 05:03:50 PM »

As others point out I don't think he is recruiting in Cali, just some R & R.  Quiet Period, cannot be on the road recruiting.

Exactly.  Could have just been visiting his parents.

paultzman

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2012, 05:09:58 PM »

Exactly.  Could have just been visiting his parents.

Was there for parents anniversary.

crgreen

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2012, 05:26:20 PM »

By the way, on a UCLA board, they'd be ripping him a new one for a month for attending a baseball game instead of attending to his coaching duties.  I'm not kidding.  It really happened in 2001.

Wasn't that story a little broader though CR ?    Didn't Lavin call a recruit from the Dodger's Gm's cell phone? Or something along those lines..
I remember reading Bruin fans flipping out about potential violations at the time.

It mutated.   He and the Dodgers GM made a joke call to a mutual buddy (a fellow head coach) and razz him about a recruit - unfortunately hit the wrong speed dial number, and left the message on  a recruits mom's phone  (I believe it was Jamal Sampson).   It wasn't a violations isssue - it was an angry mom, until Lavin apologized.  On the boards,  Mistakes Happen became, idiot mistake, which became "what was he doing at a ball game".   It fit in with the report that the board moderator posted about Steve watching the Montel Williams show mid-day instead of recruiting  - yep - he'd taken a whole half hour out of an 14 hour workday.    It all fed into the Lazy SOB mantra that was propagated thruout the 3 Bruin boards at the time - and lasted months.   The mantra evolved into "The Dodger game/Montel/The Exercise Bike".   I'm assuming you guys have seen enuf in the last 2 years to know what a crock  a tag of "laziness" is in regard to Steve Lavin.  There was an agenda, and it was unfortunately very successful in undermining the program.

Moose

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2012, 05:29:55 PM »

By the way, on a UCLA board, they'd be ripping him a new one for a month for attending a baseball game instead of attending to his coaching duties.  I'm not kidding.  It really happened in 2001.

It mutated.   He and the Dodgers GM made a joke call to a mutual buddy (a fellow head coach) and razz him about a recruit - unfortunately hit the wrong speed dial number, and left the message on  a recruits mom's phone  (I believe it was Jamal Sampson).   It wasn't a violations isssue - it was an angry mom, until Lavin apologized.  On the boards,  Mistakes Happen became, idiot mistake, which became "what was he doing at a ball game".   It fit in with the report that the board moderator posted about Steve watching the Montel Williams show mid-day instead of recruiting  - yep - he'd taken a whole half hour out of an 14 hour workday.    It all fed into the Lazy SOB mantra that was propagated thruout the 3 Bruin boards at the time - and lasted months.   The mantra evolved into "The Dodger game/Montel/The Exercise Bike".   I'm assuming you guys have seen enuf in the last 2 years to know what a crock  a tag of "laziness" is in regard to Steve Lavin.  There was an agenda, and it was unfortunately very successful in undermining the program.

That stuff bothers me from crazy fans.  Do people spend all waking hours of their day doing their job?  People are allowed to have lives.  All the more reason UCLA fans had some unrealistic expectations.

MCNPA

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2012, 05:40:03 PM »

That stuff bothers me from crazy fans.  Do people spend all waking hours of their day doing their job?  People are allowed to have lives.  All the more reason UCLA fans had some unrealistic expectations.

Agree moose.  Drives me crazy too.  It's why I think Lavin is in a good spot at SJU.  He has overall a by supportive fan base and administration.  I'd like nothing more than for Lavin to enjoy all his time here, all the while building a top notch program. 

Tha Kid

« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2012, 05:57:42 PM »
I have a problem with him watching the Montel Williams show mid-day too --- poor taste in TV! ;D
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 05:57:52 PM by Tha Kid »
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2012, 06:07:46 PM »
how come y'all assuming its for a player? just sayin is all....
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

paultzman

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2012, 06:14:06 PM »
how come y'all assuming its for a player? just sayin is all....

Just assumed Lav would not refer to hiring a coach as "recruiting". We'll see.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 06:17:05 PM by paultzman »

crgreen

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2012, 06:40:39 PM »

Agree moose.  Drives me crazy too.  It's why I think Lavin is in a good spot at SJU.  He has overall a by supportive fan base and administration.  I'd like nothing more than for Lavin to enjoy all his time here, all the while building a top notch program.

And I'm here trolling for any "agenda outbreaks" - be warned, I've gotta brainfull of FACTS - and I'm not afraid to use them!!   ;)

desco80

« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2012, 06:54:35 PM »

I think that's the benefit of being the St Johns coach in nyc... when you're good and the team does well, you get all the headlines.   And when you have a  "down" year, there's enough going on with the Mets, Jets, Giants, Yankees etc that you don't draw a lot of criticism.   At UCLA he was constantly under a microscope.   Here, for the most part he's only going to get praise when he does well.    When we suck.. people just forget about the program, they don't get angry enough to cause any change.  As we've all seen.