Around Big East

• 3954 replies

Marillac

Re: Around Big East
« Reply #3280 on: November 15, 2017, 12:54:20 AM »
Marquettte got thumped 86-71 at home by #19 Purdue. The Big East not looking so good against the Big Ten to start.

Marquette even got 49 pts from Rowsey and Howard on 8-17 from deep and still couldn't keep it close.

« Reply #3281 on: November 15, 2017, 06:41:44 AM »
I thought Marquette played hard and could beat us.

Howard & Rousey are great shhoters.  Marquette was almost perfect from the FT line too.

Hard to stop that 7'2 300 lb Purdue center named Haas.  He would tear Owens, Yakwe and Clarke apart.

Johnny23

« Reply #3282 on: November 15, 2017, 06:43:02 AM »
Marquettte got thumped 86-71 at home by #19 Purdue. The Big East not looking so good against the Big Ten to start.

Marquette even got 49 pts from Rowsey and Howard on 8-17 from deep and still couldn't keep it close.

No real surprise here. Purdue is a big, physical, experienced squad and one of the best teams in the B10. They could very well make it to the 2nd weekend of the tourney.

paultzman

« Reply #3283 on: November 15, 2017, 07:30:14 AM »

Howard & Rousey are great shhoters.  Marquette was almost perfect from the FT line too.

Hard to stop that 7'2 300 lb Purdue center named Haas.  He would tear Owens, Yakwe and Clarke apart.

Marquette teams under WoJo don't  defend well

Marillac

« Reply #3284 on: November 15, 2017, 11:02:11 AM »

That's not what I saw. They played Swiss cheese defense and only had three guys who can score. Cheatham has taken a step back. They look primed to finish 7-8.

« Reply #3285 on: November 15, 2017, 11:18:04 AM »
Marquette also really struggled to run their half court offense.  They were aggressively defended on the perimeter and were lucky to hit some contested threes.  Howard and Rowsey can really shoot the ball, though.  If they are hot, we'll lose to MU.

paultzman

« Reply #3286 on: November 15, 2017, 11:43:14 AM »

That's not what I saw. They played Swiss cheese defense and only had three guys who can score. Cheatham has taken a step back. They look primed to finish 7-8.
+1

goredmen

« Reply #3287 on: November 15, 2017, 12:02:41 PM »

Our games with them will be toss ups. Both are guard oriented teams with no inside presence whatsoever. Both teams will bomb 3s and whoever makes more will win

« Reply #3288 on: November 15, 2017, 12:12:29 PM »

Our games with them will be toss ups. Both are guard oriented teams with no inside presence whatsoever. Both teams will bomb 3s and whoever makes more will win

Marquette gets Harry Froling eligible in December.

SJUFAN

« Reply #3289 on: November 15, 2017, 12:12:45 PM »
Just remember the disaster of a season he had in 15-16, Pitino Jr that is.  He was 8-23/2-16 and after 3 years had actually gotten worse each year and still had not made an NCAA Tourney in 3 years.

Just remember he was squarely on the hot seat in his 4th year, last year.

Getting Coffey and a few other players and getting healthy changed the whole dynamic of that program.  It's not like he got to a be such a better coach in a year.

My larger point is the idea that everyone on this board is praising him is fine, the problem is the same people who praise him now would have tried to run him out of town with the same 3 year run at SJU....

It always amuses me to watch how patient people are with OTHER PROGRAM's but not the one's they follow.

I'm a propionate of style of play when assessing coaching. He took over a bad FIU team and they did well under him in one year with a short handed roster, primarily due to the defense. I like how Minnesota plays defense and that's coaching. He has not been able to bring the talent to Minnesota yet but team is still improving. I believe he would be able to recruit better at SJU. I'm very patient and not saying i want to move on from Mullin, I didn't want to move on from Lavin, just saying...IF we move on.

PS.....I disagree that SJU is a step down from Minnesota, not with our history, not with MSG as our home court. If that is true we need to cease and desist any expectations of our basketball program going forward. I think what made Lavin successful as a recruiter with us is he was able to crystalize and sale these facts seemingly better than anyone. Many of you really don't understand how big a recruiting tool playing at MSG can be. Being a sleazy car salesman can have it's advantages on the recruiting front.         

SJUFAN

« Reply #3290 on: November 15, 2017, 12:26:34 PM »
How about getting an experienced assistant coach to compliment Mullin. Good talent does better w good coaching. And Fun’s comments that Amar is following orders by hoisting 3s and not playing inside does not reflect well on Mullins coaching.

Think we need an experienced assistant coach and another recruiter. We still don't have a decent big on the roster and unfortunately as of today it doesn't appear that is going to change for next year either. If we don't bring in a big for next year something is seriously wrong.

MCNPA

« Reply #3291 on: November 15, 2017, 12:42:42 PM »
How about getting an experienced assistant coach to compliment Mullin. Good talent does better w good coaching. And Fun’s comments that Amar is following orders by hoisting 3s and not playing inside does not reflect well on Mullins coaching.

Think we need an experienced assistant coach and another recruiter. We still don't have a decent big on the roster and unfortunately as of today it doesn't appear that is going to change for next year either. If we don't bring in a big for next year something is seriously wrong.

Actually, we return Owens next year and add 6’9” 230 Sedee Keita, and 6’9” 210 lb Josh Roberts.  That’s 2 big man additions already.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 12:43:33 PM by MCNPA »

paultzman

« Reply #3292 on: November 15, 2017, 12:52:24 PM »

Fwiw, Keita has impressed folks who have seen his practices. Roberts will certainly be an improvement over Amar at PF slot with his athleticism.  I'm sure they are monitoring another big as well. We'll see.

Keita, Owens, Roberts, an additional big, keep Ponds & this team will be very good next year.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 12:55:36 PM by paultzman »

MCNPA

« Reply #3293 on: November 15, 2017, 01:10:49 PM »
Agree Paultz.  Plus we still have Yakwe, Owens, Clark.  Add Diakite.  That’s solid, not to mention our backcourt additions.  We will be much deeper and more balanced front to
Back.  Even if we lose guards, we add Dixon, Trumble back, Simon, Williams.  I hope we can keep Ponds.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 01:13:23 PM by MCNPA »

« Reply #3294 on: November 15, 2017, 01:16:36 PM »

Fwiw, Keita has impressed folks who have seen his practices. Roberts will certainly be an improvement over Amar at PF slot with his athleticism.  I'm sure they are monitoring another big as well. We'll see.

Keita, Owens, Roberts, an additional big, keep Ponds & this team will be very good next year.

If we keep Ponds next year, I think we could be pre-season top 25.

« Reply #3295 on: November 15, 2017, 01:19:09 PM »
Agree Paultz.  Plus we still have Yakwe, Owens, Clark.  Add Diakite.  That’s solid, not to mention our backcourt additions.  We will be much deeper and more balanced front to
Back.  Even if we lose guards, we add Dixon, Trumble back, Simon, Williams.  I hope we can keep Ponds.
I'd be surprised if Yakwe was back next year.

SJUFAN

« Reply #3296 on: November 15, 2017, 01:22:22 PM »

Actually, we return Owens next year and add 6’9” 230 Sedee Keita, and 6’9” 210 lb Josh Roberts.  That’s 2 big man additions already.

I forgot about Keita, that's the type of active, big body we need. If Roberts can put on some weight we will be alright. 

MCNPA

« Reply #3297 on: November 15, 2017, 01:23:07 PM »
I'd be surprised if Yakwe was back next year.

Not gonna break the bank for us....  nice kid but he isn’t contributing like I thought he would.  We could use a wing to replace Bashir...  Simon is a great point forward, but an offensively talented wing would be in order...

MCNPA

« Reply #3298 on: November 15, 2017, 01:25:43 PM »

I forgot about Keita, that's the type of active, big body we need. If Roberts can put on some weight we will be alright. 

Roberts is a big kid without big shoulders and at minimum 210 already.  He’s not built like Owens and should gain size easily.

« Reply #3299 on: November 15, 2017, 01:30:22 PM »
Were 2-0 :)
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.