Omari Lawrence - SG - St. Raymonds - Bronx, NY - ST. JOHN's (Signed LOI)

• 260 replies
Re: Omari Lawrence - SG - St. Raymonds - Bronx, NY - ST. JOHN's (Signed LOI)
« Reply #140 on: August 20, 2008, 03:13:37 PM »
Welcome aboard!  We need a few others to stay home and we're on our way.

We're already on our way, Burrrell is the 1st and opened the gates for others to follow

« Reply #141 on: August 20, 2008, 03:15:44 PM »

We're already on our way, Burrrell is the 1st and opened the gates for others to follow
very true...
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #142 on: August 20, 2008, 03:16:21 PM »

I bet Kevin, Scott, or Lance......will most likely commit now...i like the odds.

« Reply #143 on: August 20, 2008, 03:24:53 PM »
http://stjohns.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=840269

Today, NYC Hoops has learned today from Omari Lawrence he was meeting with Coach Norm Roberts at St. John's. After the meeting, Lawrence spoke exclusively to NYC Hoops saying, "Yes, I verbally committed to St Johns today, and I will sign as soon as the signing period begins."

When asked what made him commit, Lawrence said, "My decision was base on the great coaching staff there and the level of comfort that I felt with the school. I just wanted to stay close to home."

With the rash of players who commit only to de-commit Lawrence responded saying, " I am not backing out on St Johns. I will sign."

oldred10

• Ya Gotta Believe!!!
« Reply #144 on: August 20, 2008, 04:18:35 PM »
2009 Prospect Gives Nod To St. John's   

By Mike Sullivan

Posted Aug 20, 2008 

http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=2&c=781382

About two hours ago Omari Lawrence, a 6-foot-4 swingman from South Kent in Connecticut, dropped by St. John's University and gave a verbal commitment to head coach Norm Roberts, according to several sources.

Lawrence, a nifty lefty player who can score along the baseline, competed last season for St. Raymond's High School in the Bronx, N.Y. He also considered Miami, Pittsburgh, Virginia, Marquette, Connecticut, and Louisville.

St. John's had pressed Lawrence since day one, making him a top priority.

-- Reporter Brian Towey contributed to this story

SWEET VIDEO OF OMARI :

http://video.google.com/videosearch?hl=en&q=omari%20lawrence&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=iv#

« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 04:42:16 PM by oldred10 »

"If u LOVE us that's GREAT... if u HATE us that's GREAT too... if ur in the middle... get the F*CK out!!" - Paul Stanley, KISS

oldred10

• Ya Gotta Believe!!!
« Reply #145 on: August 20, 2008, 04:30:17 PM »
Top NY Guard Says He Is A Johnnie

August 20, 2008

Stacey Davis, NYCHoops.net

http://rivalshoops.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=840269

Today, NYC Hoops has learned from Omari Lawrence he was meeting with Coach Norm Roberts at St. John's. After the meeting, Lawrence spoke exclusively to NYC Hoops saying, "Yes, I verbally committed to St Johns today, and I will sign as soon as the signing period begins."

When asked what made him commit, Lawrence said, "My decision was based on the great coaching staff there and the level of comfort that I felt with the school. I just wanted to stay close to home."

Lawrence is an aggressive, 6-foot-4, 185 shooting guard that has been heavily courted by schools all across the nation. The acquisition of Lawrence is a major coup for the Red Storm who has been criticized in the past due their inability to acquire high level local talent.

The rising senior at South Kent HS in CT, is also aware of the impact of him going to the New York College and how they are one or two players away from once again being a marquee ball club. Last month Lawrence said, "I think they (St. John's) have a real good chance to comeback and I think that a lot of good players would go to the school if I went there."

Kevin Parrom, who is best friends with Lawrence and will also be attending South Kent as well, is widely speculated to join Lawrence at St. John's. When asked does he plan to commit to St Johns and join Lawrence, Parrom responded "I will make my decision when I am ready. I still need to feel comfortable with my choice."
« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 04:33:10 PM by oldred10 »

"If u LOVE us that's GREAT... if u HATE us that's GREAT too... if ur in the middle... get the F*CK out!!" - Paul Stanley, KISS

Randomhero423

« Reply #146 on: August 20, 2008, 05:19:20 PM »
absolutely fantastic!!!!! 

still will be pessmistic about the other guys, but with cross/young/omari, i do think we can nab one or two more impact recruits.

sjd8886

« Reply #147 on: August 20, 2008, 06:09:54 PM »
i'm not even gonna jinx it, i just hope "he" signs now :):):):)     

« Reply #148 on: August 20, 2008, 07:29:08 PM »
YES!!!!! GREAT NEWS!!!

« Reply #149 on: August 20, 2008, 08:56:08 PM »
this is absolutely a phenomenal get for the johnnies.  thats a great job by the staff landing their first blue chip NYer
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

« Reply #150 on: August 20, 2008, 09:09:50 PM »
http://w3.nbebasketball.com/index.php/omari-lawrence-headed-to-big-east/

OMARI LAWRENCE HEADED TO BIG EAST

BY JEFF BORZELLO

It looks like the attempt by St. John’s to keep the top New York City players at home for college is working – Omari Lawrence is headed to Queens.

“I chose St. John’s because it’s close to home,” Lawrence said Wednesday afternoon after a brief meeting with head coach Norm Roberts to announce his commitment. “It’s a great environment for me and my family. And I like Norm, he’s a good coach.”

Lawrence had planned to make a visit to Louisville soon, and said he was going to announce his college decision after checking out the campus. However, his brother made a couple of phone calls and told Lawrence that he did not want him visiting Louisville.

“We cancelled the trip to Louisville and I just wanted to get [my college decision] over with,” Lawrence said.

The 6-foot-4 Lawrence, who hails from Bronx, N.Y., cannot officially sign a letter-of-intent until November. He will play for South Kent Prep (Conn.) next season after leaving St. Raymond’s (N.Y.) following an altercation between teammate and close friend Kevin Parrom and head coach Oliver Antigua. Parrom will also play for South Kent next season.

Lawrence projects himself as a combo guard with the ability to play multiple perimeter positions.

“I think I’m going to do well,” Lawrence said. “I’m a hard-worker. I just want to do the best I can to help us win ball games.”

St. John’s has been in the news recently as a result of two new assistant coach hires – Kimani Young, who was the director of the New Heights AAU program, and Oswald Cross, who coached Lawrence with the New York Panthers. However, Lawrence said that the addition of Cross and Young did not have an affect on his recruitment.

“Not at all,” said Lawrence, who is close friends with Justin Burrell, currently a junior on the Red Storm. “Before they went to St. John’s, I had interest there. I’ve been visiting the campus since my sophomore year.”

Lawrence has not played in several weeks after he underwent surgery in July to repair a torn ligament in his shoulder. However, he is rehabbing three times per week and expects to return in early October.

With his recruitment and college decision out of the way, Lawrence is looking forward to enjoying his final year of high school.

“It definitely eases the pressure,” he said. “I can now focus on school and basketball. I want to win the National Prep Championship.”

For more on the Redstorm recruiting situation, please visit our St. John’s Team Blog Site for on an overview of their recruiting.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #151 on: August 20, 2008, 11:12:20 PM »
I'm grinning ear to ear.  First time in a long time! 

« Reply #152 on: August 21, 2008, 12:32:30 AM »
Omari, thank you from a long time St. John's fan for setting us in the right direction we are all proud to have you represent us and the University. Best of luck in your career.

gonzalo

« Reply #153 on: August 21, 2008, 07:00:28 AM »
Omari,

Welcome and good luck.

« Reply #154 on: August 21, 2008, 09:19:39 AM »
Great news for St. John's fans and season ticket  holders. Great news for New York college basketball fans and MSG.  With two more local studs , St. John will be  a national basketball power in two years.It made my summer a happy one.

gonzalo

« Reply #155 on: August 21, 2008, 10:14:45 AM »
The title of the thread should be:
 Omari Lawrence - SG - St. Raymonds - Bronx, NY - ST. JOHN´S

;)

« Reply #156 on: August 21, 2008, 10:17:21 AM »

;)

Ahh yes done.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

gonzalo

« Reply #157 on: August 21, 2008, 10:21:13 AM »

;)

Ahh yes done.

Thanks.

Go St. John´s!!!
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 10:21:42 AM by gonzalo »

« Reply #158 on: August 21, 2008, 11:44:32 AM »
I have to go to work but expect a write up on Omari sometime tonight. Not the same regurgitated quotes we've been seeing either.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

oldred10

• Ya Gotta Believe!!!
« Reply #159 on: August 21, 2008, 01:51:51 PM »
Lawrence To St. John's   

By Dave Telep, National Recruiting Director

Posted Aug 21, 2008 

http://scouthoops.scout.com/2/781701.html

“The reason why I committed there was it was in the Big East, it’s close to home and I have a relationship with Justin Burrell and he was giving me insights,” Lawrence told Scout.com.

“Everybody thinks I’m trying to help with Kevin Parrom or Durand Scott,” Lawrence said. “Those guys have to make up their own minds. If they want to come in and play with me that’s what they’re going to do. It might happen. Since I started talking about St. John’s, Lance, Tobias Harris came up. A lot of New York kids have come up to the school.”

“They see me as a combo guard, a one or a two. They’re trying to develop me for the next level.”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQL3d2SMsC0&feature=related

« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 01:55:15 PM by oldred10 »