Omari Lawrence - SG - St. Raymonds - Bronx, NY - ST. JOHN's (Signed LOI)

• 260 replies
we are closer w/omari than we were with landesburg. this is definitely giving a good vibe.

dont jump the gun yet fellas. he still has a couple of visits. i didnt want any of this to get out because the haters are gonna come out and try their best to change his mind. then they are gonna mess with durand and kevin. so there are a few obstacles that must be over come.and hope norm finds a way to get 3 ships. thats very important for this to happen

Bingo kob... and the sad part is these "haters" actually proclaim to be "supporters" of the program. Some did not like that Norm got the job over some of their "buddies"(see calipari, doh-boy..lol)... while a few other clowns did not like that they were supposedly "snubbed"(see ron naclerio.. lol) for an assistant position at SJU..  ::) ... And for the last 4 years they have done EVERYTHING they could to di$courage kids from signing with SJU. Including flooding the internet with their NONSENSE since the day Norm was hired... Pretty pathetic... Unfortunately, for them, Norm is still here & on the verge of finally landing that "major" class of NYC players that most fans have been waiting for..  ;D .. Hopefully kids like Lawrence, Jennings, Parrom, Scott, Spellman, etc... plus their families can see through all the BS & realize what a HUGE opportunity they have here in Queens.... because if we can add kids of there caliber to the likes of Burrell, Kennedy, Horne, Boothe, Evans, etc... we can finally re-claim our spot among the "elite" of the Big East.... The bottom line is WE(along with MSG, gtown, nova & cuse) built this conference & our return to prominence will be a NATIONAL story... and these kids will be treated like kings in this town once we return to the big dance..  8) ... peace!

WE CAN DEFINITELY MAKE SOME NOISE!

we have to lock this kid up...feels like he's waiting to see if others will follow.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

dont jump the gun yet fellas. he still has a couple of visits. i didnt want any of this to get out because the haters are gonna come out and try their best to change his mind. then they are gonna mess with durand and kevin. so there are a few obstacles that must be over come.and hope norm finds a way to get 3 ships. thats very important for this to happen

Bingo kob... and the sad part is these "haters" actually proclaim to be "supporters" of the program. Some did not like that Norm got the job over some of their "buddies"(see calipari, doh-boy..lol)... while a few other clowns did not like that they were supposedly "snubbed"(see ron naclerio.. lol) for an assistant position at SJU..  ::) ... And for the last 4 years they have done EVERYTHING they could to di$courage kids from signing with SJU. Including flooding the internet with their NONSENSE since the day Norm was hired... Pretty pathetic...

"I was surprised what they've done to the facilities plus my mom and my brother like the school and if they've got my family, they've got me."
                                     :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o ::) :o :o :o :o

The phrase perfect storm refers to the a simultaneous occurrence of events which, taken individually, would be far less powerful than the result of their chance combination. Such occurrences are, by their very nature, rare, and so even a slight change in any one event contributing to a ‘perfect storm’ would be sufficient to lessen the overall power of the final event.

Omari, do what others were afraid to do. Bring back a once proud program to the top and you'll see how much respect you'll get from everyone in the area. If you choose SJU you will make NYC proud.

I certainly jope that Omari LAwrence decides to come to St. John's...

BUT..    why make the comments that "others were afraid to do.."

Do you really think kids college choice comes down to fear..?  Maybe they were worried about there future and were smart enough to not put there future development into the hands of the completely inept coaching staff at St. John's University...
That's the way I feel. I'd be very happy to get him, but I'm not going to knock the others for being afraid to put their career in the hands of Norm Roberts.

WE CAN DEFINITELY MAKE SOME NOISE!

That's the way I feel. I'd be very happy to get him, but I'm not going to knock the others for being afraid to put their career in the hands of Norm Roberts.
[/quote]

What NBA prospect's career has Norm derailed?

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
Not about derailed but about how he hasn't produced a pro.  Though one could say Lamont Hamilton seemed destined for a stateside pro career and then... didn't develop much after his freshman year.  He gained a little more range and was effective but didn't get to the pros for a highly regarded high schooler.  I'm on the fence about that one - his game came ready but he wasn't the fastest/ quickest ever; unless that outside shot was money, I could see how he would be an underwhelming NBA prospect, since teams want young, fast, and high-flying or 7-foot tall.  Would have been nice to see Hamilton become more of a beast in the post though - he never had a high shooting percentage.

What NBA prospect's career has Norm derailed?
Peter elucidated the distinction.
It isn't that Roberts has derailed anyone, but rather I can't call a top recruit afraid because he was unwilling to put his career in the hands of a coach that has yet to develop a single NBA player, as opposed to signing with a head coach, like Jim Calhoun or John Calipari, who has a track record of developing high school prospects into professionals.

We'll see if Burrell develops. May Mason and Burrell's faith be rewarded by making NBA rosters.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 10:03:50 PM by Not The Sleaveless Guy »

It seems more justified to criticize Norm for not having recruited NBA talent than for not having developed any.  Frankly, I don't think it is realistic to have expected him recruit NBA locks up to this point.  Hopefully Mase and Justin will be drafted.

Knock Norm if you want to but why even compare him to HOF coaches.  He's in his first head coaching job. 

Not about derailed but about how he hasn't produced a pro.  Though one could say Lamont Hamilton seemed destined for a stateside pro career and then... didn't develop much after his freshman year.  He gained a little more range and was effective but didn't get to the pros for a highly regarded high schooler.  I'm on the fence about that one - his game came ready but he wasn't the fastest/ quickest ever; unless that outside shot was money, I could see how he would be an underwhelming NBA prospect, since teams want young, fast, and high-flying or 7-foot tall.  Would have been nice to see Hamilton become more of a beast in the post though - he never had a high shooting percentage.

Cant teach heart, Hamilton looked disinterested at times. See Derrick Caracter

It seems more justified to criticize Norm for not having recruited NBA talent than for not having developed any.  Frankly, I don't think it is realistic to have expected him recruit NBA locks up to this point.  Hopefully Mase and Justin will be drafted.

Knock Norm if you want to but why even compare him to HOF coaches.  He's in his first head coaching job. 
I wasn't knocking Roberts for this. I was just saying that the kids shouldn't be knocked for putting their faith with someone that has a more established track record in developing NBA talent.

I wasn't knocking Roberts for this. I was just saying that the kids shouldn't be knocked for putting their faith with someone that has a more established track record in developing NBA talent.

Alot of kids had faith in Jarvis and that got them pretty much nowhere

you should

you should ask yourself what nice person gives someone his first head coaching job in the big east.

you should

you should ask yourself what nice person gives someone his first head coaching job in the big east.

Someone who has zero desire or interest in being a good program, forget being an elite program.

We get 1 of these kids and the rest will follow

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/weiss/2008/07/st-johns-has-eyes-on-two-local.html
St. John's has eye on two locals
Expect St. John’s to make a big push for two locals - forward Kevin Parrom and guard Omari Lawrence of South Kent (Conn.) Academy, formerly of St. Ray’s - who both have Big East credentials. I’ve seen Norm Roberts and the Johnnies’ staff everywhere I’ve been on the East Coast this summer. The Storm is also paying close attention to senior center Danny Jennings of Oak Hill (Va.) Academy and two juniors - guard Mike Poole of St. Benedict’s and forward Tobias Harris of Half Hollow Hills, L.I., among others. Maurice Wingate of NYCHoops is reporting they have already offered Harris.

The Storm may be closer to a breakthrough than we think.

oldred10

• Ya Gotta Believe!!!

Unfortunately, no "coaching" can overcome bad hands, a lazy work ethic & a lack of brain power. Which is Hamilton in a nutshell... not to mention the fact the kid missed close to 50 uncontested lay-ups/dunks in his career as well..  :o ::) .. He was a nice kid though. Good luck lamont!
« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 03:06:40 PM by oldred10 »

"If u LOVE us that's GREAT... if u HATE us that's GREAT too... if ur in the middle... get the F*CK out!!" - Paul Stanley, KISS

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
I'm not gonna rip on him hard like that.  I think he was pretty solid player when the team had no players; and bad hands can be worked on, definitely.  He was a below the rim player but I don't know that he (kinda like Justin last year?) was getting the ball in the best/ most effective places near the basket.

Guys lets not turn this into another tit for tat battle. Monty was a good guy, a bit soft and coddled here but lets not kill the kid. He was what he was and blame should be shared. I also agree with Peter if the surrounding cast was better he could have been better. If he didn't go down with the knee injury against PC he would have probably been drafted. He didn't attend any pre draft camps for the NBA because his agent suggested that he hold out if he wasn't 100% because whatever stock he had he didn't want it to drop. I know for a fact the Spurs and Warriors were both very interested in him.

Monty also played when Jeff Smith was the strength and conditioning coach for the team and he did jack with him to add any size. Monty also didn't play smart and tried to force a lot but then again if he had a better supporting cast maybe he wouldn't have felt so neccessary to force his shot.

Anyways lets keep chatter about Omari.....
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

JohnnyJungle.com got a chance to catch up with 2009 recruit Omari Lawrence following up on what other media outlets asked and asking him questions that they didn’t. Finding out some new info on Omari the basketball player and Omari the 17 year old kid.

Johnny Jungle Recruiting Page

Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle