Mason's return and the chemistry

• 58 replies
Re: Mason's return and the chemistry
« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2007, 11:54:07 PM »
Sean is a great athlete and he finishes strong on the break.  As he learns to play basketball, he is gonna become a very good player for us.  He's a year away from being really productive but down the line watch out.

« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2007, 01:42:38 AM »
i think norm expects him to grow three or four more inches before he graduates...as he did his last couple of years in high school.  he's an athlete.  when he learns the game, he'll contribute.

« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2007, 10:24:37 AM »
Give the kid Evans a chance.  He's only 18 and often times big men take awhile to grow into their body.  With his size and leaping ability if he can even develop some back to the basket game he can be a solid contributor in a year or two.  Don't be so quick to jump to conclusions after 3 games. 

Tha Kid

« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2007, 10:42:23 AM »
ill say it now

ill say it in 2 weeks

ill say it in 2 months

ill say it in 2 years

kid is a bust
he has no basketball iq, turn over machine and wont be able to use his athleticism against real big east players

good thing you're not a college coach.  The kid has talent and absolutely can improve.  Or have you never seen a total stiff of a big man (TJ frosh year) turn into something serviceable?  Sean is WAY more talented than TJ was frosh year.   If he improves just as much, we could have a player on our hands.
"I drink and I know things"

Poison

« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2007, 10:43:45 AM »
ill say it now

ill say it in 2 weeks

ill say it in 2 months

ill say it in 2 years

kid is a bust
he has no basketball iq, turn over machine and wont be able to use his athleticism against real big east players

Just because a freshman isn't off to a great start,
doesn't mean that won't change at any point.

Donald Emanuel was horrible as a freshman.
Mase Jr wasn't much better if you remember?

With Sean's athletic ability, it's worth taking a chance on him.
Roberts can't give every player 30 minutes. Some will just come in for a spell.

« Reply #45 on: November 28, 2007, 11:24:35 AM »
ill say it now

ill say it in 2 weeks

ill say it in 2 months

ill say it in 2 years

kid is a bust

good thing you're not a college coach.  The kid has talent and absolutely can improve.  Or have you never seen a total stiff of a big man (TJ frosh year) turn into something serviceable?  Sean is WAY more talented than TJ was frosh year.   If he improves just as much, we could have a player on our hands.

TJ has gone up against a few NEC teams so far this season, so lets calm down  about him until he proves himself against some real teams.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

« Reply #46 on: November 28, 2007, 11:30:43 AM »
Does the team we're playing have to do with his hustle? his passing?
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #47 on: November 28, 2007, 05:28:13 PM »
probably not his hustle but the results of his passing: possibly. big east big men will also be in great shape so let's see what he does against decent competition before we crown his a$$
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

oldred10

• Ya Gotta Believe!!!
« Reply #48 on: November 28, 2007, 05:52:06 PM »
ill say it now

ill say it in 2 weeks

ill say it in 2 months

ill say it in 2 years

kid is a bust

Amen kid... u have to remember Evans is a FRESHMEN who has alot of "raw" talent imo. U also have to keep in mind he has been playing two sports(football) up until this year. And all we really NEED from him this year is rebounding & defense anyway. Heres a thought. Let's at least give him & the rest of freshmen at least ten games before making any definitive statements regarding this team.. ::) .. btw - if i remember 32 u weren't too high on Kennedy either & he has exceeded most of our expectations. I think in the longrun Evans will "surprise" u as well..  ;) .. peace!
« Last Edit: November 28, 2007, 05:53:49 PM by oldred10 »

"If u LOVE us that's GREAT... if u HATE us that's GREAT too... if ur in the middle... get the F*CK out!!" - Paul Stanley, KISS

redstorm32

« Reply #49 on: November 28, 2007, 11:58:59 PM »
not that i wasn't too high on dj. i just didnt think he would make the impact he has made
he's a player that takes his game to the next level in games

he is deff more ready than i thought

i would still like to see him develop a jump shot especially with all those open looks he had tonight

btw to his credit that one move he made when he was driving to the hoop was pretty

but sean doesn't have the intangibles to elevate his game as some of you think
his bb iq is low, he is a turnover machine, he can't dribble or shoot and he doesn't know how to play d without fouling

somethings you can teach but he is not going to develop with st johns like you guys think
especially when rob comes back 100% next year

Tha Kid

« Reply #50 on: November 29, 2007, 12:03:15 AM »
probably not his hustle but the results of his passing: possibly. big east big men will also be in great shape so let's see what he does against decent competition before we crown his a$$

OK Denny Green... :) :)
"I drink and I know things"

redstorm32

« Reply #51 on: November 29, 2007, 12:08:23 AM »
who is crowning tomas

he is a good passer and a great hustle player with a pretty good outside jumper

he isnt the most athletic but he isnt a bum

he is servicable and a great team leader and guy to have in the lockerroom

he is our john salley

« Reply #52 on: November 29, 2007, 01:55:50 AM »
Just wanted to note that there did seem to be some drop in chemistry or, at the very least, communication on the floor. There were between 5-10 rebounds that two of our guys came down with it and wound up turning it over and a couple more where JB would just rip it out of his own teammate's hands (that might have only happened once, I believe to Evans)

I also think Evans can wind up being productive but he is clearly very raw. In addition to JB's tendency to drop a couple passes per game, we are going to have some trouble in the post. Burrell has been able to dominate despite that thus far and I hope that will increase his confidence so he is able to play with the same dominating attitude once we reach tougher opponents (a/k/a Sunday w/o our top player).

« Reply #53 on: November 29, 2007, 02:43:28 AM »
I think Justin and DJ might be having a person battle for rebounding king of this team. JB definitely is developing a hunger for getting rebounds perhaps his 2 rebound performance has driven him to get up more. Hell I am just guessing but whatever drives, let it drive him.

I agree communication wasn't there but i'll focus in on that in my post in the game thread. To keep on topic here I think the team was trying to give Mason his due by feeding him the ball to get him into rhythm and both Mason and the team were forcing a bit instead of letting the game flow come.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

redstorm32

« Reply #54 on: November 29, 2007, 10:29:06 AM »
mase was playing too much

coach should have taken him out when he saw mase not elevating on his jump shot and bricking up every shot badly

can't really blame coach but i would bet he is pissed off beyond belief that mase has reinjured himself

oldred10

• Ya Gotta Believe!!!
« Reply #55 on: November 30, 2007, 03:56:55 AM »
mase was playing too much

coach should have taken him out when he saw mase not elevating on his jump shot and bricking up every shot badly

can't really blame coach but i would bet he is pissed off beyond belief that mase has reinjured himself

U can't "blame" Norm for what happened to Mase & i don't think he played him too much either. I expected him to play 15-20 minutes and he played 20. Mase was cleared to play & needed to get back into the flow before the Miami game. He was obviously VERY rusty & was just getting comfortable when the injury occured. Can't really do much about someone coming down on another players foot & twisting their ankle. Just BAD LUCK..  :( .. peace!
« Last Edit: November 30, 2007, 03:57:42 AM by oldred10 »

"If u LOVE us that's GREAT... if u HATE us that's GREAT too... if ur in the middle... get the F*CK out!!" - Paul Stanley, KISS

« Reply #56 on: November 30, 2007, 04:00:17 PM »
again...evans is an ATHLETE.  he'll be a smarter version of matt brust when he's a senior.

« Reply #57 on: November 30, 2007, 09:24:05 PM »
again...evans is an ATHLETE.  he'll be a smarter version of matt brust when he's a senior.
Agree. Focusing on 1 sport will give him upside.

Athletically he's no stiff. Give him a few years and he could be a valuable 6th 7th guy

redstorm32

« Reply #58 on: December 01, 2007, 01:00:04 AM »
he doesnt have the intangibles to be the player you think he will develop into

he refuses to work on a left hand and his iq is very low thats what will hold him back