James Padgett - C - Abraham Lincoln HS - Brooklyn, NY - MARYLAND

• 46 replies

kjd01067

http://stjohns.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=802996

In his first season with the Abraham Lincoln (NY) Railsplitters, Padgett seem to fit right in with what the Railsplitters were lacking, a big man who could compliment phenom Lance Stephenson and Lincoln team and just focus on rebounding the basketball and getting in where he fit in on the offensive end. "This year I definitely saw more activeness in James' game," said Padgett's Starrett City AAU coach, Germaine Baron. "His footwork this year was nothing like I had saw in the past and that helped him a lot with attacking the glass and so forth."

Padgett's activeness helped him average nine points and 9.6 rebounds a game, helping the Railsplitters take him another PSAL city championship and State Federation title.

Watching Padgett, the first thing you'll notice is his size. He's a legit 6-foot-9 and knows that his game is down in the paint with guys his size. Watching him now, he's finally playing how a kid his size should play," said Baron. "Not to say that he didn't do that before, but his game looks like it could definitely go to the next level."

For Padgett, that next level starts now. While he hasn't really hit the national scene on the AAU circuit, look for him to start to pop up at the best summer tournaments. "Last season he didn't really want to go out and showcase his game to everybody," said Baron. "He just wanted to work on his game and play in local tournaments." The spring AAU circuit is slowly kicking in to gear and Padgett has already looked impressive. He helped lead Juice All-Stars to a championship this past weekend at the Providence Jam Fest. "This summer he's going to surprise a lot of people," adds Baron. "Just the fact that he wasn't really out there like that before, people are going to start and ask about him."

When the time comes for schools to ask about him, they'll just be added to the list of Big East schools that have already inquired about his big man services. "Pretty much everyone from the Big East has called and asked about him," said Baron. "I believe after the summer is over he'll have more interest coming his way."

So that leaves the question, are there any frontrunners? And where do the Red Storm lie?"Right now, he's still open," said Baron. There's no clear cut favorite and I don't think there will be any until maybe after the summer. And with St.John's you have to take a look at them, because it's the hometown team. Not saying they would have an edge, but playing at home wouldn't be a problem. James wouldn't have a problem playing anywhere in the country."

« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 07:34:34 PM by kjd01067 »

Randomhero423

Re: James Padgett - PF - Abraham Lincoln HS - Brooklyn, NY
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2008, 11:45:07 AM »
i like this kid.  i think he can be a very solid role player on a team in the big east.

pmg911

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2008, 03:58:17 PM »
i like this kid.  i think he can be a very solid role player on a team in the big east.

His aspirations are much bigger then role player..

So strange that Padgett moved over to the Juice All Stars and miraculously transfered out a Xaverian to Lincoln a week before school started last year...

Don't be surprised if he has to go to Prep school to get eligible for NCAA...
« Last Edit: May 02, 2008, 03:59:00 PM by pmg911 »

Randomhero423

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2008, 04:08:55 PM »
i'm not sure if he can be a star.  or a main scoring option.  imho it would have been smarter to stay at xaverian and be their main guy instead of being the 2-4th guy on lincoln (lance always #1.  depends on the day from there. can be either him, greene or ellis).

Re: James Padgett - C - Abraham Lincoln HS - Brooklyn, NY
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2008, 11:41:58 PM »
Thug life yo for Tiny and his henchmen yo

The 17-and-under semifinals game between the Gauchos and Juice All-Stars had to be stopped when Juice’s James Padgett (Lincoln HS) punched the Gauchos’ Taaj Ridley (Kennedy HS) in the face following Ridley’s hard foul. Much to coach Dwayne (Tiny) Morton’s chagrin, Juice was disqualified and the Gauchos, who were winning with about eight minutes left in the game, advanced to play the NY Panthers in the Rumble in the Bronx finals

oldred10

• Ya Gotta Believe!!!
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2008, 06:38:46 PM »
CATCHING UP WITH JAMES PADGETT

Pitt, PC and St. John’s lead for NYC big man

By Raymond Balter

August 12th, 2008

http://w3.nbebasketball.com/index.php/catching-up-with-james-padgett/

When I spoke with Dwayne “Tiny” Morton, head coach at Brooklyn’s Abraham Lincoln HS back in January, about his then-junior forward James Padgett, he said: “He has a lot of potential because he’s still young”. Then Morton was asked if he felt Padgett was capable of making a significant contribution in a conference like the Big East, to which he replied: “Definitely. His best days are ahead of him”.

Apparently there are some Big East coaches that feel the same about Padgett as Coach Morton does. The rising senior said that the six schools that stand a top his list right now are Pittsburgh, Providence, St John’s, Maryland, Drexel, and South Carolina – and that his top three are Pitt, Providence, and St John’s. “I’ll pick a school in November”, he said, stating that it will definitely be one of these six, but then added, “but I will wait until next spring to sign”.

Perhaps most conspicuous by their absence are two of the local tri-state Big East Schools, Rutgers and Seton Hall. When asked if he has been hearing at all from either school, Padgett replied, “Nothing. Not at all”.

Padgett appears to be on a bit of a roll now. Looking back, he admits to not having started out his junior season in the manner he would have preferred. “I had a bad start”, he said. “I lacked confidence”. When asked if he gained confidence as the season progressed, he replied: “Definitely”. That confidence appears to have carried over into the summer, one that would be a bit noteworthy, as it marked Padgett’s debut on the AAU circuit.

“I’ve had a good summer”, he said. “A lot of schools started coming after me”. As for his AAU debut with the Juice All-Stars, he said that “it’s gone pretty well. We won three tournaments, and did OK in a couple of others, so it’s been pretty good”. That Padgett would begin to distinguish himself over the summer was a prediction that Coach Morton made back in January.

Overall, Padgett feels that his game has continued to develop over the summer, and this winter, he figures to be one of NYC’s top big men. By then, if he stays true to his plan, he’ll play his senior year with his college destination already known.

"If u LOVE us that's GREAT... if u HATE us that's GREAT too... if ur in the middle... get the F*CK out!!" - Paul Stanley, KISS

oldred10

• Ya Gotta Believe!!!
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2008, 03:06:49 PM »
Padgett Makes Out Weekend Trip   

By Dave Telep, National Recruiting Director

Posted Aug 25, 2008 

http://scouthoops.scout.com/2/782834.html

One of the top prospects in New York City, center James Padgett, has himself a neat and trim list of schools. Scout.com’s No. 21 center prefers to list South Carolina, Providence, West Virginia, Pittsburgh and St. John’s at this time. 

Padgett informed Scout.com that he’s endeavoring to visit four schools this coming weekend. Padgett’s trip is scheduled to take him to Pittsburgh, West Virginia, Maryland and South Carolina. Visiting four schools is aggressive in one weekend.

He’s already been to Providence and St. John’s. Padgett would prefer to sign during the early period. He’s speaking to most of the head coaches on his list and indicated that comfort level would be the premier indicator when it comes to selecting a college.

"If u LOVE us that's GREAT... if u HATE us that's GREAT too... if ur in the middle... get the F*CK out!!" - Paul Stanley, KISS

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2008, 10:44:23 PM »
James Padgett Has Top Six
Posted on Aug 25, 2008 6:26 pm
Fresh off a visit to Providence, Lincoln forward James Padgett has a list of six favorite schools.

“Right now the schools that are still in it are West Virginia, Pitt, Maryland, South Carolina, Providence and St. John’s,” the 6-foot-8, 220-pound Padgett said by phone.

Padgett, a senior from Brooklyn Lincoln High who plays alongside Lance Stephenson on the three-time PSAL champion Railsplitters, took an unofficial to Providence on Sunday with his mother and said he enjoyed it.

“It was pretty cool,” he said. “The new arena is pretty cool. We talked and then they showed us the school. They like that I’m self motivated. (I can be) a big impact low-post player.”

Padgett has already visited St. John’s unofficially and said he will visit South Carolina, Maryland, West Virginia and Pitt unofficially next week.

He plans to decide “by late October or early November.”

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2008, 11:20:00 PM »
It's always sounded like Padgett is less of an offensive player than guys like, say, Jordan Williams.  Not saying that St. John's will have a choice, but let's say Padgett wanted to commit next week  Would you want him, or Jordan Williams?

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2008, 11:54:52 PM »
It's always sounded like Padgett is less of an offensive player than guys like, say, Jordan Williams.  Not saying that St. John's will have a choice, but let's say Padgett wanted to commit next week  Would you want him, or Jordan Williams?

I trust Norm & Staff have seen both a lot.

I hope Norm doesnt take Padgett unless he considers him better than Coker/Wait (& 2010 class)

Save last scholly (remember no 2010 yet) for impact player.

We have 12 big east level players (??) Need a stud w this 1 (#13)
We have the luxury of being able to wait.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 12:01:26 AM by stevep502 »
Molloy '71

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2008, 12:26:21 PM »
Padgett's shrinking?  Wasn't he listed at 6'8"?

http://www.charleston.net/news/2008/sep/01/horn_lands_first_palmetto_state_commitme52704/

6-7 James Padgett of Brooklyn, N.Y., had planned to make an unofficial visit to USC (note: South Carolina - peter) over the weekend, but he didn't make it in. Padgett has scheduled an official visit to Pittsburgh for this coming weekend and one to Maryland for Sept. 27. He plans to set a date with USC and is also looking at Houston. "All the schools are even and I'm taking the visits to see what separates them," Padgett said last week. "I'm looking at family atmosphere, that the school is not isolated, and being able to play. Padgett also has offers from Houston, Rutgers and St. Johns. He does not have a favorite.

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2008, 12:38:13 PM »
Scout has him @ 6'7 in a 6 month old article & 6'8" on their main list.

1" is close enough. I've seen bigger discrepancies.

But either way a PF not a 5. His game sounds like a small athletic 5.
Molloy '71

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2008, 07:47:49 PM »
hes a legit 6'8"
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

mkras99

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2008, 08:48:17 PM »

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2008, 11:07:34 AM »
He is from my hood Starrett city BK he is more like 6-6, 6-7

He would not be an upgrade over Coker or Evans

I saw above that he punched someone in the face that would be a good thing because one of his biggest knocks on him, is that he is a nice kids, which he is
Attack basketball, pressure defense, 40 minutes of hell ... Early on it might be 30 minutes of hell, then 10 minutes of what the hell are you doing?"

« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2008, 11:32:11 AM »
He is from my hood Starrett city BK he is more like 6-6, 6-7

He would not be an upgrade over Coker or Evans

I saw above that he punched someone in the face that would be a good thing because one of his biggest knocks on him, is that he is a nice kids, which he is

I know bre. Last two kids I think of bein involve in fisticuffs is Kev Parrom and JP. But it happen.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

kob24

« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2008, 01:30:47 PM »
I'm hearing Pitt for him

kjd01067

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2008, 11:57:33 AM »
http://stjohns.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=849146

Tony Greco
Pantherlair.com

When it comes to offers for Brooklyn (NY) Abraham Lincoln power forward James Padgett, he's got a nice combination of schools from the Big East and SEC. South Florida, Tennessee, and South Carolina have recently added offers, joining Pitt, Providence, Rutgers, St. John's, West Virginia, and Kentucky on the list.

James Padgett has a number of Big East and SEC offers.

Over the next couple weeks, Padgett, 6'7" 210, will be hosting in-home visits and will head to a pair of campuses, Pitt and Maryland. The Panthers and Terrapins are two of his finalists; he will visit College Park this coming weekend and he'll head to Pittsburgh the following weekend.

St. John's will visit him at home this week, as well as Pitt head coach Jamie Dixon.

"Pittsburgh, I played in a tournament there in April," Padgett said. "It's pretty cool. Maryland, it will be my first trip there."

In addition to his combination of in-home visits, and college visits, Padgett will be playing in an iS8 tournament in Queens.

"It's a pretty good tournament," Padgett said. "There's going to be a lot of New York City teams."

Padgett is a member of the Juice All-Stars team from Brooklyn. The All-Stars went 42-8 this summer, including championships at the Providence Jam Fest and the Reebok East. The All-Stars went 6-1 at the Pittsburgh Jam Fest in April.

Padgett, a three-star prospect, wrapped up a successful summer with performances at the Vegas Showcase, the adidas 64 in Cincinnati and the Reebok East in New Jersey. In the championship game of the Reebok East, Padgett scored 22 points.

Poison

« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2008, 12:06:20 PM »

Tony Greco
Pantherlair.com

When it comes to offers for Brooklyn (NY) Abraham Lincoln power forward James Padgett, he's got a nice combination of schools from the Big East and SEC. South Florida, Tennessee, and South Carolina have recently added offers, joining Pitt, Providence, Rutgers, St. John's, West Virginia, and Kentucky on the list.

Over the next couple weeks, Padgett, 6'7" 210, will be hosting in-home visits and will head to a pair of campuses, Pitt and Maryland. The Panthers and Terrapins are two of his finalists; he will visit College Park this coming weekend and he'll head to Pittsburgh the following weekend.

St. John's will visit him at home this week, as well as Pitt head coach Jamie Dixon.

"Pittsburgh, I played in a tournament there in April," Padgett said. "It's pretty cool. Maryland, it will be my first trip there."

In addition to his combination of in-home visits, and college visits, Padgett will be playing in an iS8 tournament in Queens.

"It's a pretty good tournament," Padgett said. "There's going to be a lot of New York City teams."

Padgett is a member of the Juice All-Stars team from Brooklyn. The All-Stars went 42-8 this summer, including championships at the Providence Jam Fest and the Reebok East. The All-Stars went 6-1 at the Pittsburgh Jam Fest in April.

Padgett, a three-star prospect, wrapped up a successful summer with performances at the Vegas Showcase, the adidas 64 in Cincinnati and the Reebok East in New Jersey. In the championship game of the Reebok East, Padgett scored 22 points.

he thinks pittsburgh is cool? yea, it's cool. milwaukee/cleveland cool.

« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2008, 01:17:48 PM »

Tony Greco
Pantherlair.com

he thinks pittsburgh is cool? yea, it's cool. milwaukee/cleveland cool.
It's no Queens.
One can complain that they're using state money, but Pitt's facilities are first-rate now.
They also have great fan support. Dixon's done a good job of maintaining what Howland helped build, but it's still  sickening to watch him win with NY area players.