Malik Stith - East Mecklenburg - Charlotte, NC - ST. JOHN'S (SIGNED LOI)

• 164 replies
Re: Malik Stith - East Mecklenburg - Charlotte, NC
« Reply #140 on: April 21, 2009, 08:25:51 AM »
The whole point is to improve, and it'll be tough to do that if the new Malik can't beat out the old one.

I do not have an issue with Boothe starting. The issue is playing 38 minutes a game. Split the time and let them be aggressive on the ball defenders that do not have to worry about getting in foul trouble. Boothe became very passive once he pick up 2 fouls.

« Reply #141 on: April 21, 2009, 02:32:53 PM »
hes not gonna start over malik..he'll be good added depth at the position..ESPN ranks him at an 87 which they described as a solid contributor to a high major school and eventual starter. And espn usually ranks conservatily. He'll have solid development next season and will start when Malik graduates.

I like the fact that Malik preformed well at his prep school and earned some MVP recogition vs decent talent (not saying it BE calaber).

his prep school competition IS BE caliber. he played in NEPSAC, thats the toughest prep league in the country. Every team in that league produces high major players and eventual NBA players.
O, God thy sea is so great and my boat is so small

« Reply #142 on: April 21, 2009, 08:55:10 PM »
hes not gonna start over malik..he'll be good added depth at the position..ESPN ranks him at an 87 which they described as a solid contributor to a high major school and eventual starter. And espn usually ranks conservatily. He'll have solid development next season and will start when Malik graduates.

I like the fact that Malik preformed well at his prep school and earned some MVP recogition vs decent talent (not saying it BE calaber).

his prep school competition IS BE caliber. he played in NEPSAC, thats the toughest prep league in the country. Every team in that league produces high major players and eventual NBA players.

This kid can play....him and Boothe can split minutes and not have to worry about foul trouble at the PG position.

mkras99

« Reply #143 on: April 21, 2009, 09:31:27 PM »
Appears to be down to us and LaSalle (i.e., I am told he won't be taking any other visits).  We need to get either him or Armstead.

« Reply #144 on: April 21, 2009, 10:00:27 PM »
i would rather have armstead. i love lefty's and he looks like he can shoot it. 
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

kjd01067

« Reply #145 on: April 21, 2009, 10:14:52 PM »
Appears to be down to us and LaSalle (i.e., I am told he won't be taking any other visits).  We need to get either him or Armstead.

Would you really want one of those two over Parrom ?  I know Parrom isn't a point guard but I think he is a better player and at this point this team needs talent and scorers which I think Parrom is.

« Reply #146 on: April 21, 2009, 10:24:51 PM »

Would you really want one of those two over Parrom ?  I know Parrom isn't a point guard but I think he is a better player and at this point this team needs talent and scorers which I think Parrom is.

if it could only be parrom or a point guard i would choose parrom hands down. but between the two point guards i would take amrstead
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #147 on: April 21, 2009, 10:33:38 PM »

if it could only be parrom or a point guard i would choose parrom hands down. but between the two point guards i would take amrstead

I'll take both with Lance, redshirt Quincy

« Reply #148 on: April 21, 2009, 11:33:49 PM »

Marco, a redshirt is still a scholarship.

« Reply #149 on: April 21, 2009, 11:36:13 PM »

Marco, a redshirt is still a scholarship.

Oh, than Quincy to IONA

LJSA

« Reply #150 on: April 21, 2009, 11:36:55 PM »
Not if Quincy is redshirting at Duquesne.

« Reply #151 on: April 22, 2009, 09:16:46 PM »

i havent seen stith play in 2 years and ive never seen armstead play, but the problem with armstead would be that adding him would add to the class of players that are juniors this coming year, which would further stockpile that junior class.  that would mean we would have to bring in yet ANOTHER recruit in the class of 2011 (wouldnt we need to fill 7 spots as it is in that class?)
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #152 on: April 22, 2009, 09:33:42 PM »
I believe it's 9 spots, Theo.  Boothe, Burrell, Kennedy, Hardy, Evans, Coker, Horne, Thomas - no, it's down to 8 since Wait left.

LJSA

« Reply #153 on: April 22, 2009, 09:37:06 PM »
I think it's been mentioned on Redmen.com that Armstead has three years of eligibility.

mkras99

« Reply #154 on: April 22, 2009, 09:45:16 PM »
I think it's been mentioned on Redmen.com that Armstead has three years of eligibility.
That's correct.  Armstead would be a soph.

Re: Malik Stith - East Mecklenburg - Charlotte, NC - ST. JOHN'S (Verbal)
« Reply #155 on: April 29, 2009, 03:58:23 PM »
I hope that year at Prep school did wonders for Stith so he can come in and start right away.This was more than a need
Attack basketball, pressure defense, 40 minutes of hell ... Early on it might be 30 minutes of hell, then 10 minutes of what the hell are you doing?"

« Reply #156 on: April 30, 2009, 11:39:14 AM »
come on folks lets be realistic...talented as stith is, theres no way he'll start over boothe
O, God thy sea is so great and my boat is so small

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #157 on: April 30, 2009, 11:51:21 AM »
Most people, I would hope, are realistic about that - if Stith could start over Boothe, he would have been more highly recruited.  I think he will get off the bench for sure, unlike TyShwan.  If he can play 15 minutes a game and not toss the ball into the stands, maybe score a little from the lead guard position, he'll be doing his job. 

Also - while the coaching staff is willing to give a player who is earning it (on defense at least) more time on the floor, I don't think Norm benches Malik B., and definitely not right off the bat. 

Marillac

« Reply #158 on: April 30, 2009, 03:45:11 PM »
It doesn't even matter if he starts, fellas. All that matters is that we have a natural PG with at least some Big East ability to run the show.  How many minutes did we have to go with a D-2 caliber PG in Ty or a freshman SG like Roberts running the offense?

If he can step in and play 15-20 minutes per game, we are a much better team because of it.  I think we'll all like this kid.  He's got swagger and a nice crossover.  Plus, he's a winner.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #159 on: April 30, 2009, 04:55:16 PM »
WAIT - THAT WAS SARCASM!