Keith Thomas - F - Westchester CC - ST JOHN'S

• 385 replies
Re: Keith Thomas - F - Westchester CC - ST JOHN'S
« Reply #180 on: April 27, 2014, 09:44:53 PM »
Following up Zach now says he will cut to two from list and visit Miami and indicates SJU has a good chance.  But if you put two and two together assuming 1 is SJU AND he still is visiting Miami well that would imply Miami is the second school, no?  In other words why would say cut to SJU and USF and then visit a school that you are NOT considering????

Zach Braziller ‏@NYPost_Brazille  · 15m 
To be more clear, Westchester CC's Keith Thomas will cut to two from among St. John's, Fordham, Loyola, USF, others. And visit Miami Friday

Joseph ‏@jcoggs17  · 13m 
@NYPost_Brazille does St. John's have a good chance

Zach Braziller ‏@NYPost_Brazille  · 12m 
@jcoggs17 Yes, I think so

« Reply #181 on: April 27, 2014, 10:08:01 PM »
I think we get Cunningham and Terrell, not Thomas. So expect the opposite

I hope we get all 3.  If we land Terrell and Cunningham, it gives us two top 100 players.  I live Terrell's game so I wouldn't be upset with that.  Problem is though, we need Thomas as well becAuse he's the only true PF.

Have we been mentioned with Terrell since he  got his release?
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

paultzman

« Reply #182 on: April 27, 2014, 10:09:40 PM »

I hope we get all 3.  If we land Terrell and Cunningham, it gives us two top 100 players.  I live Terrell's game so I wouldn't be upset with that.  Problem is though, we need Thomas as well becAuse he's the only true PF.

No. Getting involved unlikely. PT availability alone makes this doubtful.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 10:12:03 PM by paultzman »

« Reply #183 on: April 27, 2014, 10:13:10 PM »

No. Getting involved unlikely. PT availability alone makes this doubtful.

Thanks Paultz. Unfortunate but getting Cunningham and Thomas would make this class a success IMO.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

SJU79

« Reply #184 on: April 28, 2014, 09:01:37 AM »
My understanding is Terell is not coming here

« Reply #185 on: April 28, 2014, 09:12:43 AM »
My understanding is Terell is not coming here

I have no idea where that rumor got started to begin with.

« Reply #186 on: April 28, 2014, 09:15:07 AM »
Verbal commits still has St Johns as in the running for Terrell

« Reply #188 on: April 28, 2014, 09:56:33 AM »
Read between the lines.  He was effusive in his praise about SJU.  The trip to USF was “OK.”  And RIGHT after his trip to Miami he is going to decide??

He knows where he is going???  HINT, HINT….

paultzman

« Reply #189 on: April 28, 2014, 09:59:04 AM »
Read between the lines.  He was effusive in his praise about SJU.  The trip to USF was “OK.”  And RIGHT after his trip to Miami he is going to decide??

Have never thought otherwise. Will be a solid addition.

wpc77

« Reply #190 on: April 28, 2014, 10:02:55 AM »
Larranaga and his staff (specifically him and his 2 lead assistants) are NYC guys who will sell their program as understanding where Thomas is coming from.  Also, although Larranaga likely runs a clean program, let's not forget where he's going to on this last visit - he assuredly spend the night in South Beach, perhaps running around with some boosters who are Nevin Shapiro acolytes.  Beware final recruiting trips to tropical locales with half naked chicks aplenty.

paultzman

« Reply #191 on: April 28, 2014, 10:06:18 AM »
Larranaga and his staff (specifically him and his 2 lead assistants) are NYC guys who will sell their program as understanding where Thomas is coming from.  Also, although Larranaga likely runs a clean program, let's not forget where he's going to on this last visit - he assuredly spend the night in South Beach, perhaps running around with some boosters who are Nevin Shapiro acolytes.  Beware final recruiting trips to tropical locales with half naked chicks aplenty.

Or just take a free trip to South Beach, knowing where you really intend to go.

Foad

« Reply #192 on: April 28, 2014, 10:10:15 AM »

The coach - who was quoted by Zags as saying the visit was "OK," presumably a paraphrase - was quoted by Zags as saying of the SJ visit: "he enjoyed it." I don't see how one is effusive and the other not.

In the same article the coach is quoted as saying that Thomas said Lavin was a "genius." Which suggests he's suffered brain trauma. Hopefully he qualifies.

Despite all of which I am confident that ace recruiter Steve Lavin can beat out Loyola and Fordham for his services. Welcome aboard Keith!

MCNPA

« Reply #193 on: April 28, 2014, 03:06:10 PM »

I think the real sell for both Thomas and Cunningham is carte Blanche PT minutes.  There's nobody on the roster ahead of Thomas at the PF spot, only Christian Jones to compete with.  For Cunningham, there's nobody besides Pointer at the SF spot, and he gets a chance to move to the wing.  I think that for both of these kids, immediate PT in a decent conference will be the easiest sell.  It doesn't hurt that we also have a fantastic backcourt returning.

paultzman

« Reply #194 on: April 29, 2014, 06:42:31 PM »
@NYPost_Brazille: Keith Thomas visits Miami Thursday and will make a decision over the weekend, I'm told. St. John's and South Florida very much in mix #sjubb

@NYPost_Brazille: It should be noted, Keith Thomas has visited St. John's twice, and Johnnies were on him before USF or Miami. #sjubb
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 06:45:02 PM by paultzman »

« Reply #195 on: April 29, 2014, 08:13:27 PM »
You get the leading rebounder in the JUCO ranks, combine him with Delarosa and Pointer/Obepka/Jones up front with an All-League backcourt in Harrison/Jordan with Greene and Branch as bench help and that is plenty of size, speed and depth next year to win.  Thomas and Jones will more then make up for Sanchez, JaKarr hurts but Obekpa is not going to average 3-5 points like he did this year and Jordan will exponentially be better.

Then Lavin has to deliver on the goods in terms of winning next year and then a BIG recruiting class in 2015.  I think he is primed for BOTH.

boo3

« Reply #196 on: April 29, 2014, 08:39:31 PM »
You get the leading rebounder in the JUCO ranks, combine him with Delarosa and Pointer/Obepka/Jones up front with an All-League backcourt in Harrison/Jordan with Greene and Branch as bench help and that is plenty of size, speed and depth next year to win.  Thomas and Jones will more then make up for Sanchez, JaKarr hurts but Obekpa is not going to average 3-5 points like he did this year and Jordan will exponentially be better.

The exact point I've been trying to make..  Jordan very well may go from an inconsistent, lost-looking frosh to a potential BE POY candidate... Harrison will be Harrison.. 

TONYD3

« Reply #197 on: April 29, 2014, 09:18:30 PM »
i hope this guy comes here. Wish I went to Miami

Marillac

« Reply #198 on: April 29, 2014, 09:56:17 PM »

Or just take a free trip to South Beach, knowing where you really intend to go.

I don't think people realize where South Beach is.  Hahaha.  It's a separate island (Miami Beach) from Miami (a very unimpressive city with almost no skyline).  UM is in Coral Gables...the traffic is obscene there and in Miami Beach as well.  It's highly overrated and it's an hour's drive from UM unless you get lucky with traffic.

desco80

« Reply #199 on: April 30, 2014, 10:11:53 AM »

The exact point I've been trying to make..  Jordan very well may go from an inconsistent, lost-looking frosh to a potential BE POY candidate... Harrison will be Harrison.. 

No. 
I expect Jordan to be good, but truthfully nothing he did last season makes me think he's a contender for BE POY.   

Fordham and Boo,
How much better did D'angelo get from fresh to soph year?   Jakarr?   Obekpa?   Dom?
Why do you assume that Jordan will go from being a good player to BE POY?    Or that Obekpa will suddenly be much better than he was last year?

Kids improve incrementally.   9 times out of 10, when a kid has a "breakout season", it's because he suddenly gets a lot more playing time.   It's the exception to the rule when someone's skills improve so drastically in such a short period of time.