Keith Thomas - F - Westchester CC - ST JOHN'S

• 385 replies
Re: Keith Thomas - F - Westchester CC - ST JOHN'S
« Reply #360 on: May 06, 2014, 09:57:37 AM »
I will buy in. If his numbers translate to 7 or 8 boards, to go along with any improvement from Obepka, I think we might actually be improved down low. The problem is we have no one that can get us an easy basket down there. A lot of pressure on Harrison and Jordan to score. Still I think we sneak in to tourney. Thought that last season as well though.

derk

« Reply #361 on: May 06, 2014, 11:45:12 AM »
Is Keith a better juco player then gift was

I've never seen him, but from what I heard quite a bit.  As some have said here,  he played in a much more competitive juco league than gift.  Has over 30 rebounds in two games this year which is tough no matter how you cut it.  Arizona had genuine interest unlike the uk interest referenced with Gift's recruitment.  We need a good rebounder up front, regardless.  We have been killed on the boards in recent years.

When Gift was being recruited to come here, we read on these boards that he was an absolute beast who would be better than Burrell and Evans.

Except when Gift got here he was 6'6 instead of a beastly 6'8". I notice this kid lost an inch already. He's down to 6'7". He dam well better not shrink anymore !

derk

« Reply #362 on: May 06, 2014, 11:53:37 AM »
Really don't know anything about Thomas other than he's supposed to be aggressive on the boards. If he's a one trick pony it will be a struggle to have him and Obekpa on the floor at the same time.

Add pointer to that no offense mix up front.  Imo we are still in big trouble offensively up front.  Even Sanchez was light years better than any offensive option we have in our front court entering next season unless Thomas really surprises.  I'm very concerned about it. 

If we don't get Martin, I think the combo of Obekpa and Thomas makes a strong case for using the 3 guard lineup of Harrison, Jordan and Branch for the majority of time to offset the loss of front court offense.  I'm assuming Jones is not the answer and Dom's stunted growth remains stunted.

We need to get Martin just to present more versatility from the frontcourt in terms of scoring. Would like it if either Martin or Jones can fill that role rather then playing a 3 guard offense.

« Reply #363 on: May 06, 2014, 11:55:47 AM »
For those saying next year is 'our year" what exactly does that mean? With the lowered expectations around here I'm guessing you mean an NCAA bid and should mean a win or 2 in the tournament. Don't see it with the currently constituted roster. Those comparing us to UCONN last year as being successful with a guard oriented lineup are forgetting the one key ingredient that UCONN had when they took off later in the season and that is the 20 and 10 they got from Daniels up front. We lack that kind of player or even a poor imitation of that kind of player .I see a repeat of last year and probably NIT at best. If someone CO and Sheed were to return along with other holdovers and we have a monster 15 class. perhaps than we will be able to put on the glass slipper.

« Reply #364 on: May 06, 2014, 08:32:14 PM »
Really don't know anything about Thomas other than he's supposed to be aggressive on the boards. If he's a one trick pony it will be a struggle to have him and Obekpa on the floor at the same time.

Add pointer to that no offense mix up front.  Imo we are still in big trouble offensively up front.  Even Sanchez was light years better than any offensive option we have in our front court entering next season unless Thomas really surprises.  I'm very concerned about it. 

If we don't get Martin, I think the combo of Obekpa and Thomas makes a strong case for using the 3 guard lineup of Harrison, Jordan and Branch for the majority of time to offset the loss of front court offense.  I'm assuming Jones is not the answer and Dom's stunted growth remains stunted.

I think Dom can be great in an uptempo style small lineup. I wouldn't say his growth has been stunted. His minutes have decreased every year yet his production for the most part has stayed the same. Some would call that being more efficient. I think if Dom was more aggressive at times he'd be better but for whatever reason he doesn't look to score.

On one hand he does a good job of playing to his strengths but I wish he'd strengthen his weaknesses (perimeter shooting).
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #365 on: May 06, 2014, 08:33:50 PM »
Is Keith a better juco player then gift was

I've never seen him, but from what I heard quite a bit.  As some have said here,  he played in a much more competitive juco league than gift.  Has over 30 rebounds in two games this year which is tough no matter how you cut it.  Arizona had genuine interest unlike the uk interest referenced with Gift's recruitment.  We need a good rebounder up front, regardless.  We have been killed on the boards in recent years.

When Gift was being recruited to come here, we read on these boards that he was an absolute beast who would be better than Burrell and Evans.

Except when Gift got here he was 6'6 instead of a beastly 6'8". I notice this kid lost an inch already. He's down to 6'7". He dam well better not shrink anymore !

He needs to be a college version of Jerome "Junk Yard Dog" Williams.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #366 on: May 06, 2014, 08:39:56 PM »
How many yeArs of eligibility does Thomas have?

hnk

« Reply #367 on: May 06, 2014, 08:46:38 PM »
Two or three it's not clear yet and btw yes, Baldi!

paultzman

« Reply #368 on: May 16, 2014, 09:27:52 PM »
@NYPost_Brazille: Spent my afternoon with Keith Thomas. Profile coming Sunday. Interesting young man. #sjubb

« Reply #369 on: May 17, 2014, 01:39:25 PM »

This still says it all.  We'll get 40 ppg from the guards but the 30 or so from the front court just isn't there.  Teams will take liberties with us and not pay a price.  Injuries or foul trouble will kill us more than anyone else.  At least Karr was a threat to score.  That's gone with the roster we've got.

« Reply #370 on: May 17, 2014, 02:56:18 PM »
yes, Sampson could score but he was weak as an all around player.  Our Offensive rebounding can become better if Thomas is as good as advertised and could give us those second chance opps we so desperately have needed over the past few years with Lavin's players.  So many times, we were one shot and done, hopefully that all changes this year a little bit. 

« Reply #371 on: May 17, 2014, 04:34:08 PM »

This still says it all.  We'll get 40 ppg from the guards but the 30 or so from the front court just isn't there.  Teams will take liberties with us and not pay a price.  Injuries or foul trouble will kill us more than anyone else.  At least Karr was a threat to score.  That's gone with the roster we've got.
Where is Sean Evans when you need him?  :) No really, where is Sean these days?

« Reply #372 on: May 17, 2014, 06:18:53 PM »

Last seen in the Dominican Republic but no longer on that roster:
http://basketball.usbasket.com/team/NCAA/St.John's_University/510?Page=4

« Reply #373 on: May 17, 2014, 07:49:51 PM »

Bobre's basement

paultzman

« Reply #374 on: May 17, 2014, 07:56:40 PM »

Bobre's basement

Classic!!

boo3

« Reply #375 on: May 17, 2014, 08:12:00 PM »
 Sean puts the lotion in the basket.....

QuanMan

« Reply #376 on: May 17, 2014, 08:17:18 PM »
Impressive resolve and work ethic. Paid his way through school last year while working at a hospital.

Looks like he's tackling life with a positive outlook, should be a welcomed addition. Great story from Zach:

http://nypost.com/2014/05/17/st-johns-recruit-keith-thomas-leaves-stormy-past-behind/
Section 3
Section 116

LJSA

« Reply #377 on: May 17, 2014, 09:07:37 PM »
Sean puts the lotion in the basket.....

best.post.ever.

« Reply #378 on: May 18, 2014, 11:12:25 PM »

Bobre's basement
Of his own free will?

paultzman

« Reply #379 on: May 19, 2014, 09:21:53 AM »
@JonRothstein: Talked to a college coach this weekend who compared St. John's PF Keith Thomas to former Wichita State big man Carl Hall. Rugged! #SJUBB