Keith Thomas - F - Westchester CC - ST JOHN'S

• 385 replies
Re: Keith Thomas - F - Westchester CC - ST JOHN'S
« Reply #40 on: April 11, 2014, 10:31:30 AM »
Any league with St John's in it would have us as their bottom feeder..including the Patriot League.

Yeah because we didn't finish 3rd last year or anything.  ::)

3rd and got waxed by Rob Morris at home.

Poison

« Reply #41 on: April 11, 2014, 10:34:10 AM »
Don't forget, the league isn't what it used to be. This could be a good signing

really? can't tell if you're kidding.

Unfortunately, Not kidding.  What top recruit would want to come here and play against the likes of DePaul, Butler etc. when you could go higher? We must rely on guys like this now and transfers that didn't work out at better programs. Such is the way of mid Major life

I think it's more about the coach than the conference. If you have to sell your program on who you'll be playing, before how you can develop their game, you're in trouble. That's what Norm did. I know Lavin needs a ton of work, but if by some chance, as unlikely as it is, Sampson gets drafted, and makes the league, he's in the same position as many of the ACC and Big Ten schools in terms of helping kids move on to becoming a pro.

Lavin doesn't have top kids coming in next season, or really ANY kids, because he didn't recruit after losing McCullough to SU. This is a mess that he made. At the very least, he should have known that Sanchez and Gift needed to be replaced.

That said, there's no one left, and Lavin is now forced to either find another job, which clearly isn;t likely right now, or piece together a front court somehow. If this kid was a stud he'd be on our radar, because top programs would be on him as well. I have serious doubt about any of the leftovers we add at this point.

The only way I see Lavin saving next season is if Cal leaves for the league, and it starts a chain of new college coaches. Then maybe he could land a kid that asks for a release. That, is just as much of a lottery ticket as asking Keith Thomas to come in and average 10 points and 12 boards, like I'm sure several self-medicating STJ fans will do.

I wonder, next season, position by position, are we even more talented than Iona? I don't think so.

« Reply #42 on: April 11, 2014, 10:36:13 AM »
Any league with St John's in it would have us as their bottom feeder..including the Patriot League.

Still 3rd. I didn't say we played well in the NIT game.

« Reply #43 on: April 11, 2014, 10:41:20 AM »

The fact that this team finished 3rd speaks volumes

« Reply #44 on: April 11, 2014, 10:45:19 AM »

Heading into Selection Sunday, SJU was ranked 39th in the country according to KenPom.  If you aren't going to be even somewhat objective, please post less frequently

« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2014, 10:48:54 AM »

Heading into Selection Sunday, SJU was ranked 39th in the country according to KenPom.  If you aren't going to be even somewhat objective, please post less frequently

RPI ranked 65th

« Reply #46 on: April 11, 2014, 10:51:45 AM »

RPI ranked 65th

RPI ranked 65th

RPI ranked 65th
I think we can agree that it's an inferior metric. But thanks for using actual facts. Speaking of RPI, do you consider the 3rd best conference by RPI to be a mid major? 

Tha Kid

« Reply #47 on: April 11, 2014, 10:57:29 AM »

Unfortunately, Not kidding.  What top recruit would want to come here and play against the likes of DePaul, Butler etc. when you could go higher? We must rely on guys like this now and transfers that didn't work out at better programs. Such is the way of mid Major life

Why'd a top prospect sign with SMU this year?  You are ridiculous Baldi.  You have a strange way of acting like a fan.
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #48 on: April 11, 2014, 10:58:50 AM »
PAC 12? No

« Reply #49 on: April 11, 2014, 11:00:00 AM »

Why'd a top prospect sign with SMU this year?  You are ridiculous Baldi.  You have a strange way of acting like a fan.

SMU has pretty good coach no?

« Reply #50 on: April 11, 2014, 11:12:28 AM »
PAC 12? No
Apologies. Big East finished 4th in RPI. So every conference outside of the top 3 using your preferred measurement is a mid or low major? 

« Reply #51 on: April 11, 2014, 11:17:12 AM »
PAC 12? No
Apologies. Big East finished 4th in RPI. So every conference outside of the top 3 using your preferred measurement is a mid or low major? 

I'm not one for these matrix rankings either. IMO, I think there are 6 or 7 conferences better than the Big East

« Reply #52 on: April 11, 2014, 11:25:59 AM »
I'm not one for these matrix rankings either. IMO, I think there are 6 or 7 conferences better than the Big East

Based on what, watching the games while drinking beer and eating chips?

Marillac

« Reply #53 on: April 11, 2014, 11:28:47 AM »
Fwiw, friend of mine who coached HS ball in Westchester area thinks Thomas can help us. Thomas is a strong, unselfish, skilled player who can contribute right away in his estimation. He would be my first choice of three guys recently on radar.

Strong, unselfish, and skilled? I just hope he doesn't get alienated.  I wanted to dislike this kid when I first saw the thread that we were recruiting a JUCO from WCC.  Before I read anything I thought it was desperate--and it still probably is--but I think Lavin might back himself into a very good four afterall.

There are a 100 or more stories of 22-23 year olds not enjoying much success, but Rodman played one season of JUCO ball as a 22 year old before going to an NAIA school and playing three years.  It's not like Rodman was a top 100 kid that wen to a blue blood.  It should be something that kids like Thomas never forget. There just are not a lot of kids willing to defend, screen, and rebound without wanting the offensive looks in return.  That is a rare commodity on any level.  That was Sampson's best chance at the NBA as well...but he chose to work on being a wing.

Poison

« Reply #54 on: April 11, 2014, 11:30:22 AM »

That is true. We produced an empty 10-8 record. It's not much different than when Norm used to say hey look, we won 17 games, when 2/3 of them were against NJIT, St.Francis, Bryant, North Florida and Southeast New Jersey State. The BE is about as good as the A10 was. Only a homer would deny that.

Poison

« Reply #55 on: April 11, 2014, 11:32:28 AM »

I thought so in January, but Larry Brown's squad, like Lavin's collapsed at the end of the season. Really, mirror images on the floor.

« Reply #56 on: April 11, 2014, 11:38:37 AM »

Based on what, watching the games while drinking beer and eating chips?

ACC, American conference,  Atlantic 10, big 12, big 10, PAC 12  and SEC all better than the big East.

Thanks for taking some time out of the tanning booth to post.

« Reply #57 on: April 11, 2014, 11:51:21 AM »
Marco-  how many other mid major conferences have teams that are paid 5 mill annually and have every game on national tv?  How much does the a 10 pull in?  What happens to the A 10 when the watered down big east picks it apart in the next year or two.  Will your guys have to settle for the cyo tyro division?

« Reply #58 on: April 11, 2014, 11:58:44 AM »
Marco-  how many other mid major conferences have teams that are paid 5 mill annually and have every game on national tv?  How much does the a 10 pull in?  What happens to the A 10 when the watered down big east picks it apart in the next year or two.  Will your guys have to settle for the cyo tyro division?

Similar to replacing Syracuse, UConn , Louisville etc with Xavier, Creighton, butler?

« Reply #59 on: April 11, 2014, 12:02:24 PM »

I thought so in January, but Larry Brown's squad, like Lavin's collapsed at the end of the season. Really, mirror images on the floor.
So now Larry Brown is not up to your standards, wow! no one gets a break with you.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 12:03:51 PM by shamsman2 »