Keith Thomas - F - Westchester CC - ST JOHN'S

• 385 replies

paultzman

Re: Keith Thomas - F - Westchester CC - ST JOHN'S
« Reply #320 on: May 05, 2014, 05:45:45 PM »
Is Keith a better juco player then gift was

I've never seen him, but from what I heard quite a bit.  As some have said here,  he played in a much more competitive juco league than gift.  Has over 30 rebounds in two games this year which is tough no matter how you cut it.  Arizona had genuine interest unlike the uk interest referenced with Gift's recruitment.  We need a good rebounder up front, regardless.  We have been killed on the boards in recent years.

When Gift was being recruited to come here, we read on these boards that he was an absolute beast who would be better than Burrell and Evans.

On some level he was.  Gift played at a DivII JC...  That's way different than Division I JC...which is way different than Division I college ball.  This guy is a beast who apparently wants to learn.  I'm glad he's aboard.

Oh, i am glad he's here, too. I'm just not expecting a double double. If he's 7 and 10, he's the beast they say he is. I expect more like 4.5 and 5.5.
If he is godsgift with a little hand-eye and average bball IQ, he will be a solid contributor.  Not every incoming recruit needs to be a program changer

Mount Vernon kids are usually well schooled & tough. Know he graduated from Yorktown, but he earned his stripes in MV school yards.

paultzman

« Reply #321 on: May 05, 2014, 05:48:23 PM »
@NYPost_Brazille: College coach who recruited Keith Thomas: "He's a Hispanic DeJuan Blair." The college version, not NBA. #sjubb

boo3

« Reply #322 on: May 05, 2014, 05:59:08 PM »
 I'd rather have a kid that averaged 15 rpg in JC than one that averaged 15-20 in HS...much better comp

I think that goes without saying.

« Reply #323 on: May 05, 2014, 06:04:10 PM »

I've never seen him, but from what I heard quite a bit.  As some have said here,  he played in a much more competitive juco league than gift.  Has over 30 rebounds in two games this year which is tough no matter how you cut it.  Arizona had genuine interest unlike the uk interest referenced with Gift's recruitment.  We need a good rebounder up front, regardless.  We have been killed on the boards in recent years.

When Gift was being recruited to come here, we read on these boards that he was an absolute beast who would be better than Burrell and Evans.

On some level he was.  Gift played at a DivII JC...  That's way different than Division I JC...which is way different than Division I college ball.  This guy is a beast who apparently wants to learn.  I'm glad he's aboard.

Oh, i am glad he's here, too. I'm just not expecting a double double. If he's 7 and 10, he's the beast they say he is. I expect more like 4.5 and 5.5.
If he is godsgift with a little hand-eye and average bball IQ, he will be a solid contributor.  Not every incoming recruit needs to be a program changer

Um here and now he needs to be big time contributor

« Reply #324 on: May 05, 2014, 06:29:22 PM »
Harsh words on Fôrdham sites

« Reply #325 on: May 05, 2014, 06:34:44 PM »
Fordham has sites?

« Reply #326 on: May 05, 2014, 06:42:16 PM »

Mount Vernon kids are usually well schooled & tough. Know he graduated from Yorktown, but he earned his stripes in MV school yards.
\

I'm with you and Poison.  4.5 and 5.5 are reasonable.  This Rodman, Jayson Williams, Blair stuff is not reasonable.

paultzman

« Reply #327 on: May 05, 2014, 06:45:31 PM »

\

I'm with you and Poison.  4.5 and 5.5 are reasonable.  This Rodman, Jayson Williams, Blair stuff is not reasonable.

Certainly those comparisons are silly. The numbers noted may be closer to the mark than not.

MCNPA

« Reply #328 on: May 05, 2014, 06:46:38 PM »

They can talk all they want.  SJU has a lot of PT to offer Thomas, a better schedule and excellent backcourt which can help the teams chances of success.  It's a good fit for Thomas right now.  If we were loaded up front it might not be.  We aren't.

I'd also like to see some of this purported aggressive rebounding and work ethic rub off on Delarosa.  He needs to get some more fine under him.

MCNPA

« Reply #329 on: May 05, 2014, 06:47:35 PM »

\

If he can give us Ron Roberts production up front I'll be very happy.

« Reply #330 on: May 05, 2014, 06:59:20 PM »

They can talk all they want.  SJU has a lot of PT to offer Thomas, a better schedule and excellent backcourt which can help the teams chances of success.  It's a good fit for Thomas right now.  If we were loaded up front it might not be.  We aren't.

I'd also like to see some of this purported aggressive rebounding and work ethic rub off on Delarosa.  He needs to get some more fine under him.

Agreed. Best opportunity here.

« Reply #331 on: May 05, 2014, 07:22:34 PM »

Where's here?

« Reply #332 on: May 05, 2014, 07:24:52 PM »

Where's here?

In the NIT

One a rear of a donkey post deserves another.

« Reply #333 on: May 05, 2014, 07:25:47 PM »

Where's here?

In the NIT

So you still haven't answered the question.

OK.

desco80

« Reply #334 on: May 05, 2014, 07:27:09 PM »

\

+1

« Reply #335 on: May 05, 2014, 07:27:57 PM »

Where's here?

In the NIT

OK.

What question? Where here is?

Another great fan who wrote the book.

« Reply #336 on: May 05, 2014, 07:29:07 PM »

\

+1

+2

« Reply #337 on: May 05, 2014, 07:30:35 PM »

Where's here?

In the NIT

OK.

What question? Where here is?

Another great fan who wrote the book.

The bell tolls for thee Grosebar!!!

Going...Going...Going...Going....

« Reply #338 on: May 05, 2014, 08:06:42 PM »
@NYPost_Brazille: Keith Thomas said he picked St. John's over Loyola (a close second) for two reasons: Relationship with Steve Lavin and opp. to stay home.

@NYPost_Brazille: Keith Thomas: "I play with a lot of aggression. I play strong. I'm just hungry. I play every game like I'm starving." #sjubb
A lot of our guys last year played like they were starving.

desco80

« Reply #339 on: May 05, 2014, 08:55:48 PM »
Sampson avg 6reb a game last season, good for 7th in the Big East.
No one in the conference averaged more than 9.

So even assuming Thomas could lead the conference in rebounding, we're looking at a 3 reb improvement over Sampson.   
I don't see how that offsets Sampson's offense.   Not to mention Sanchez's. 

I think we're going to be in a deep hole offensively.    Hopefully Thomas can surprise us, with that area of his game.