St. Mary's

• 136 replies

DFF6

Re: St. Mary's
« Reply #80 on: December 19, 2014, 09:23:46 PM »
What a comeback!  This team showed me something tonight in the second half. We are heading for good things this year

boo3

« Reply #81 on: December 19, 2014, 09:26:40 PM »
 No way these guys win this game last year or the year before.. Veteran leadership is so huge..

I've never seen JDLR before..  The way folks made him out on here I thought the fat dude from Teen Wolf was gonna appear..  He is a big boy, but loos in decent enough shape..  I think he can help this season... 

« Reply #82 on: December 19, 2014, 09:27:19 PM »
We win with Jordan and Green shooting 3 for 20 and getting out rebounded 45 to 30. Won the turnover game, not sure how they did it, but who cares.

Winning ugly, still a beautiful thing.

jr49

« Reply #83 on: December 19, 2014, 09:29:08 PM »
Jordan a spectator tonight. If the staff roughs him up some, can he take it. Maybe he excelled on D and I missed it. Hope so.

« Reply #84 on: December 19, 2014, 09:29:51 PM »
Great effort in the 2nd half, out scoring them 35-14.
Please dont do this against LB St.

Around the top25   E Kentucky 72 #18 Miami 44, don't forget #19 SD St. all lost at cincy.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 09:30:43 PM by mullin85berry86 »

Marillac

« Reply #85 on: December 19, 2014, 09:29:59 PM »
Jordan needs to stop with the jumpers.  He hasn't earned the right to shoot them...he's the only guy out there playing like it is still 2013-2014.  He's moving on nearly every attempt.  Guys have to realize how low a % shot that is. Only elite shooters can get away with shooting off the bounce consistently.  The kid just killed us tonight...no shot at chemistry with him taking those jumpers.  He also made a # of bad decisions with the ball.  We won in spite of Jordan tonight (2-12 fgs 1-5 from three, 1-4 from the line, 4 fouls, 2 turnovers, only 1 board and 1 assist).  

Gutty win.  The offense wasn't there...they were out-sized...this was an awful match up, but they got it done with stifling defense in the second half.  Dom was sensational.  

If you told me that Harrison and Jordan would only combine for two boards and JDR would have played double-digit minutes, I would have thought we lost by ten.  

Lavin out-coached another one tonight.  What a poor decision by the St. Mary's coach not throw us a zone defense in the second half during the 10-0 run.  Has he watched any tape?

Marillac

« Reply #86 on: December 19, 2014, 09:36:45 PM »
No way these guys win this game last year or the year before.. Veteran leadership is so huge.. I've never seen JDLR before.. The way folks made him out on here I thought the fat dude from Teen Wolf was gonna appear.. He is a big boy, but loos in decent enough shape.. I think he can help this season...

I think he'll give us more than almost anyone expected--which is an extremely low bar to get over. All we can ask is for him not to lose the game or put us in a worse situation than when he came in.  He looked lost as you would expect for his first game on a new team, but he did hustle and play hard and didn't lose it for us.  He's a big, big boy but he doesn't have half the skill of his brother.
Dom is playing out of his mind right now--he was nearly flawless tonight.  And he is such a good complement to a mountain like JDR who will box out but won't get off the floor.  

« Reply #87 on: December 19, 2014, 09:50:12 PM »
Also, let me say good job by Lavin for whatever he said at halftime  ;)

« Reply #88 on: December 19, 2014, 09:55:45 PM »
All credit goes to Lavin for this win. Putting Dom on Waldo to allow Obekpa to provide the weak side help made all the difference and won us the game. Best coaching move in his tenure. Good job by him

« Reply #89 on: December 19, 2014, 09:57:48 PM »
With JDLR able to spell Obekpa, even in the first half I thought there was a chance St. Mary's would wind up with tired legs and that we had a chance.  With no JDLR I think Waldow would have been too much to handle.

Marillac

« Reply #90 on: December 19, 2014, 09:59:00 PM »
All credit goes to Lavin for this win. Putting Dom on Waldo to allow Obekpa to provide the weak side help made all the difference and won us the game. Best coaching move in his tenure. Good job by him

He's finally got the team that he envisioned when he put it together...four versatile guys that can switch and defend multiple positions.  Dom at the four gives us the most versatile defender in the country.  I'm so glad he's done guarding small guards.  What a game he turned in...Harrison too.  Wow.  

Poison

« Reply #91 on: December 19, 2014, 10:01:58 PM »
Also, let me say good job by Lavin for whatever he said at halftime ;)
I agree. I'll happily eat my words. Lavin adjusted at the half. Waldo couldn't get comfortable. St.Mary couldn't put the ball on the floor and penetrate at all, and that seemed to take them almost completely out of the game. 
Great job by the seniors stepping up on defense. Especially Dom guarding Waldo, rebounding and passing well. (Except on the break. Yikes) 

« Reply #92 on: December 19, 2014, 10:02:18 PM »
Just got back from the game. First half sucked as you all know.

Totally different team in the second half. Should have been an over the back call prior to CO's 5th foul.

Need to make those free throws to prevent long scoring droughts. Even Dlo missed a few.

Win and move on!

« Reply #93 on: December 19, 2014, 10:04:38 PM »
A performance like the one we got from JDR tonight might prove that the coaches that spend every single day with these kids might know the team just a little better than the geniuses that bash these kids on this message board...

« Reply #94 on: December 19, 2014, 10:07:14 PM »
With JDLR able to spell Obekpa, even in the first half I thought there was a chance St. Mary's would wind up with tired legs and that we had a chance.  With no JDLR I think Waldow would have been too much to handle.

I know I shouldn't look back but if we had JDLR against Gonzaga we win. Obekpa got in early foul trouble that game and we had no one to bang with the big guys.

As long as JDLR gives us a few good minutes a game we should be good.

redslope

« Reply #95 on: December 19, 2014, 10:08:04 PM »
just back and have no nails left.  wanted to thank Sir and Dangelo for the early Christmas.  Anyone know when we recovered from a 15 point halftime deficit?  Wonderful mature team to stand up to and overcome adversity.

« Reply #96 on: December 19, 2014, 10:18:46 PM »
Did not see any of the game but from What I  read here it seems Lavin did a great job adjusting to St Marys at half at home
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 10:19:15 PM by Marco Baldi »

Moose

« Reply #97 on: December 19, 2014, 10:22:19 PM »
No way these guys win this game last year or the year before.. Veteran leadership is so huge.. I've never seen JDLR before.. The way folks made him out on here I thought the fat dude from Teen Wolf was gonna appear.. He is a big boy, but loos in decent enough shape.. I think he can help this season...
I think he'll give us more than almost anyone expected--which is an extremely low bar to get over. All we can ask is for him not to lose the game or put us in a worse situation than when he came in. He looked lost as you would expect for his first game on a new team, but he did hustle and play hard and didn't lose it for us. He's a big, big boy but he doesn't have half the skill of his brother. Dom is playing out of his mind right now--he was nearly flawless tonight. And he is such a good complement to a mountain like JDR who will box out but won't get off the floor.

JDR was lost out there :2funny:
He was by the most vocal on the defensive end.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #98 on: December 19, 2014, 10:25:11 PM »
Baldi -- Terrible first half -- Waldow killed us -- down like 15 at half.  Harrison and better defense got us back into the game in the second half and credit goes to Lavin's adjustments.  Dom played great all around and made some big plays late.  Sheed and Greene had a terrible game offensively. 

Moose

« Reply #99 on: December 19, 2014, 10:25:33 PM »
Lavin deserves credit for calling that timeout late in the 2nd and drew up a nice backdoor Sheed layup
Remember who broke the Slice news