Around Big East

• 3954 replies
Re: Around Big East
« Reply #2760 on: November 16, 2016, 04:51:00 PM »
Foster is legit for Creighton. Major transfer for them.

Didnt see the first half and it looked like he had a nice one, but in the second he took some atrocious shots when creighton was trying to put it away.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Johnny23

« Reply #2761 on: November 16, 2016, 05:12:15 PM »
Jesse Govan has beast potential on that Gtown squad. 6'10-6'11 and a sweet stroke from 3. No idea why they went away from him late in that game when MD couldn't stop him. Example A of why JT3 is a mediocre coach.

TONYD3

« Reply #2762 on: November 16, 2016, 05:42:49 PM »
Jesse Govan has beast potential on that Gtown squad. 6'10-6'11 and a sweet stroke from 3. No idea why they went away from him late in that game when MD couldn't stop him. Example A of why JT3 is a mediocre coach.
Nothing mediocre about him. He sucks

Johnny23

« Reply #2763 on: November 16, 2016, 05:51:38 PM »

Like father, like son.

TONYD3

« Reply #2764 on: November 16, 2016, 05:54:23 PM »

Like father, like son.
Really? I am 38 I know his teams were rated high. I remember announcers always commenting on Georgetown's defense. Senior was a bad game coach?

Johnny23

« Reply #2765 on: November 16, 2016, 05:58:17 PM »

Like father, like son.
Really? I am 38 I know his teams were rated high. I remember announcers always commenting on Georgetown's defense. Senior was a bad game coach?

Did you ever see the talent his teams had? Some of the best ever at the college level. Great recruiter, not a very good coach. Not as bad as his kid though.

Poison

« Reply #2766 on: November 16, 2016, 06:05:02 PM »

Like father, like son.

Did you ever see the talent his teams had? Some of the best ever at the college level. Great recruiter, not a very good coach. Not as bad as his kid though.

Are you saying that John Thompson Sr wasn't a good coach? Makes St.John's seem rather pedestrian. The man won a national championship. It's crazy to question his ability. I remember they beat the snot out of us even when we were really good.

« Reply #2767 on: November 16, 2016, 06:12:54 PM »

Like father, like son.

Are you saying that John Thompson Sr wasn't a good coach? Makes St.John's seem rather pedestrian. The man won a national championship. It's crazy to question his ability. I remember they beat the snot out of us even when we were really good.

I thought "Pops" Thompson was a decent coach.  He started looking a bit shabby during his last couple of seasons, as I thought his recruiting had slipped.  I believe he didn't care about dealing with certain factors, per recruiting.

As far, as JT3....  I don't believe he sucks.  I see him as very mediocre.  The only thing I'd blame him for last night was going home with a timeout in his pocket.  Maybe, he kept it, as to not allow Maryland to set up defensively on the Hoyas' last possession.  His team crapped the bed during the last minute of the game, more so than his coaching.  Stuff like that has happened a few too many times on his watch, so that is why I see people hammering him about last night's game. 
« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 03:10:36 PM by mjdinkins »

Johnny23

« Reply #2768 on: November 16, 2016, 06:16:35 PM »

Like father, like son.

That's exactly what I'm saying. He should have won at a minimum 2 NC's with the Ewing squads and all the talent around him. It's not crazy at all. Morning, Mutoumbo, Iverson, on and on and very little results to show for those teams. If you ask any DC hoops insider they will tell you the same thing. The talent that program had was crazy and he did underachieve. You are mistaking recruiting with coaching. Two very different things. Like I said, not a very good coach.

« Reply #2769 on: November 16, 2016, 06:52:52 PM »
I thought the old man was a fairly decent coach. his teams were always tough defensively. He'd give you  ninety feet of heat. But, he was recruiting that type of player who was a great athlete, and bought in on sharing roles and minutes. He would anchor the defense with a Ewing, Mourning, Mutumbo, etc. Then, he would have that one scorer; Floyd, RWilliams, Iverson to be surrounded by the role players.

The son...I don't know. They seem to recruit well each year but the team under achieves just about every year. Is it worth it to Georgetown to whack the son and also lose the father and his legacy? I assume the father would divorce himself from Gtown if junior ever gets fired. Or, I could be wrong.

Johnny23

« Reply #2770 on: November 16, 2016, 06:58:50 PM »
Ok, let me rephrase what I said. The Dad was a decent coach. Especially in the 80's and early 90's. I just never thought many of his teams were as good as they should have been wioth the talent they had.

I don't think JT3 sucks but mediocre for the most part and underachieving.

« Reply #2771 on: November 16, 2016, 07:31:15 PM »

Been saying this for years. Where talent goes to die

Marillac

« Reply #2772 on: November 16, 2016, 07:46:27 PM »
Gtown with the only Big East loss this season. 16-1.

Poison

« Reply #2773 on: November 16, 2016, 08:24:03 PM »

Like father, like son.

That's exactly what I'm saying. He should have won at a minimum 2 NC's with the Ewing squads and all the talent around him. It's not crazy at all. Morning, Mutoumbo, Iverson, on and on and very little results to show for those teams. If you ask any DC hoops insider they will tell you the same thing. The talent that program had was crazy and he did underachieve. You are mistaking recruiting with coaching. Two very different things. Like I said, not a very good coach.

I respectfully disagree. JT1's teams played stifling defense. They were the class of the BE when the BE was at its very best. You can't give credit to the players and not to the coach for helping them improve. Mutombo barely contributed early on in college. Coach has to get credit for his development.

Johnny23

« Reply #2774 on: November 16, 2016, 08:55:19 PM »

Like father, like son.

I respectfully disagree. JT1's teams played stifling defense. They were the class of the BE when the BE was at its very best. You can't give credit to the players and not to the coach for helping them improve. Mutombo barely contributed early on in college. Coach has to get credit for his development.

Fair enough. I thought about it and that's why I stated above that he was a decent/good coach but never one of the best IMO.

goredmen

« Reply #2775 on: November 16, 2016, 09:02:55 PM »
Butler coming down to the wire at home against Northwestern

« Reply #2776 on: November 17, 2016, 02:47:01 PM »

Like father, like son.

I'm like a Cubs fan. I'd give anything for a NC.  I wish I had been alive for the Wonder 5 years, when the NIT was the real national championship.  Dare to dream.

Johnny23

« Reply #2777 on: November 17, 2016, 07:48:56 PM »
Gtown down by 19 to Ark St!!!

Nova pulls away late against W Michigan in what was a tight one.

Xavier survives Mizzou in OT.

« Reply #2778 on: November 17, 2016, 08:31:48 PM »

Without Livingston I presume.

Johnny23

« Reply #2779 on: November 17, 2016, 08:49:11 PM »

Without Livingston I presume.

Yup. No Livingston. Ark St trying to give this game away down the stretch. We'll see if they survive.