Open Practice- October 31

• 55 replies
Re: Open Practice- October 31
« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2015, 03:23:33 PM »
pbs.twimg.com/media/CSqxFhIWEAEcJ5G.jpg
box score
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Moose

« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2015, 04:26:24 PM »
Williams had another surgery in the summer I was told so he's a little behind the curve.  He can clearly shoot but seemed a step or two behind at times.

Wondering how long its going to take me to shake this headache and my ears to stop ringing.  When you have so few people you don't need the PA announcer to scream and blast music.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2015, 05:49:45 PM »
If there's a game 7 on Wednesday, CA will be emptier than today. Matt A may not go.

Moose

« Reply #43 on: October 31, 2015, 06:26:53 PM »
If there's a game 7 on Wednesday, CA will be emptier than today. Matt A may not go.

Curious to see people's take on your Matt comment.

« Reply #44 on: October 31, 2015, 07:14:37 PM »

I would hope he would be at the game and I think he would be without question, he'd only miss like 2 innings.

Poison

« Reply #45 on: October 31, 2015, 09:28:00 PM »
Here's my take from today...

Johnson is the best scorer on the team. That's at least what today showed us. He can shoot the ball from all over the court, and he can drive and finish in traffic as well. It was a nice surprise. He dropped over 30 today.

LoVett had some great moments, but he was also incredibly sloppy with his passing. He hit some nice step back jumpers, and a three or two, but let's not expect him to be Marcus Hatten. That's insane.

Ellison was fun to watch. He's a freshman, and like LoVett, he was sloppy with passing as well, but he can put it on the floor and go strong to the basket. He didn't finish very well, but the ability is there. He was a great late addition. I could see him contributing as much as DJ did as a freshman.

Deron Williams was the biggest disappointment. It looks like his shot has forward rotation. He doesn't mix it up inside. Those hoping for a "beast" need to expect a different kind of player. He's soft, slow and from what I could tell, uncoordinated.

Jones actually looked ok. He's the only player who even attempted to post up. Maybe he could give us some minutes off the bench.

M'Vouika was also pretty good. He can hit a 3, and he can penetrate somewhat. Passing needs work, as it does with everyone.

Yakwe is a big time project. Maybe he can rebound, and score some inside, but he had the ugliest jump shot I've seen in a long time. Also, he seems less experienced overall than the rest of the players out there. He didn't think to pass the ball. The others were moving the ball consistently. Yakwe got the ball, and he's was going to score.

Owens seemed smart and experienced. He'll help next year. He can hit a jumper, and he can rebound. A good addition.

Mussini impressed me, but not in the way that I expected. Early on, he couldn't throw it in the ocean. But he is a great passer. He looks to run the offense. Not to find his own offense. Good for him.

Balamou was awful. A nice hard working kid. I feel bad for him.

Alibegovic was awful as well.

Sima has some potential. He's raw on d, and he has zero post up game on offense. He's going to take some time, so those saying he's better than Obekpa need to sit down immediately. He's clearky nowhere near Obekpa, even as a freshman.

Overall, this was one ugly mess. This is a new group of players and we have to accept that they will need time to learn how to play together and to find some kind of identity. Yes, they can shoot the ball, but there is a lot to work on.

« Reply #47 on: November 01, 2015, 06:15:53 AM »

Wods317

« Reply #48 on: November 01, 2015, 09:44:08 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhpEZnQcTmQ

I like that we are shooting a lot of threes. Obviously you have to make them but it seems like the way the game is going and we haven't had the best 3pt shooting in the recent past. We will be better then people think, excited to see how we play Wednesday even if it isn't against top competition.

« Reply #49 on: November 01, 2015, 10:33:34 AM »

Hopefully they let him stream it from the bench if he can't be at the stadium

« Reply #50 on: November 01, 2015, 12:46:45 PM »

He was shown on TV last night when we blew it.

Moose

« Reply #51 on: November 01, 2015, 01:45:41 PM »
One of my biggest takeaways that I'm surprised most people didnt mention was Greg St. Jean.  He was coaching his ass off out there.  From the people I spoke to he really has the respect of the players.  Likely due to his closeness in age.  This person saw many practices under Dunlap as well and says they are very similar.  They see the plays they run in practice out there on the floor and in the past that wasn't so much the case.

Personally I loved the ball movement and the concise decision making.  There wasn't futzing around and wasting time.  Aimless dribbling etc.  Everyone had a purpose with the ball.  They were thinking ahead to when they received the pass and yes there were a couple passes that were too early or telegraphed but in time that will get better I'm sure.

« Reply #52 on: November 01, 2015, 03:24:51 PM »

Poison

« Reply #53 on: November 01, 2015, 03:32:41 PM »
One of my biggest takeaways that I'm surprised most people didnt mention was Greg St. Jean.  He was coaching his ass off out there.  From the people I spoke to he really has the respect of the players.  Likely due to his closeness in age.  This person saw many practices under Dunlap as well and says they are very similar.  They see the plays they run in practice out there on the floor and in the past that wasn't so much the case.

Personally I loved the ball movement and the concise decision making.  There wasn't futzing around and wasting time.  Aimless dribbling etc.  Everyone had a purpose with the ball.  They were thinking ahead to when they received the pass and yes there were a couple passes that were too early or telegraphed but in time that will get better I'm sure.

The place was empty. Hard to notice when you don't go. But I did see 2 or 3 students.

paultzman

« Reply #54 on: November 01, 2015, 03:43:29 PM »

Good to hear on St. Jean, as well as the culture change. It will take some time, but it appears the program is headed in right direction.

« Reply #55 on: November 01, 2015, 04:55:10 PM »

Matt gets more tv time at met games than keith hernandez